An Appeal to Posters - Players’names | Page 3 | The Boneyard

An Appeal to Posters - Players’names

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
is there a way for the site to auto convert the acronyms to names?
Yes, but it would affect all boards and there may be men’s basketball or football players with the same initials.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This post made me think a bit about how I used to communicate vs the rest of my friends and family. I worked at GE for 20 yrs and man, did we have acronyms. Then came company wide instant messaging, which created more acronyms. It took me a few years to stop talking and writing in corp-speak, so now I have to look up quite a few abbreviations as I have no clue.

For some players, first name works as they are unique - Swin, Shea, Svet, Diana, etc. Others, I'll start using last names.

Reaction Score
This post made me think a bit about how I used to communicate vs the rest of my friends and family. I worked at GE for 20 yrs and man, did we have acronyms. Then came company wide instant messaging, which created more acronyms. It took me a few years to stop talking and writing in corp-speak, so now I have to look up quite a few abbreviations as I have no clue.

For some players, first name works as they are unique - Swin, Shea, Svet, Diana, etc. Others, I'll start using last names.
I can relate on the acronyms. I work in telecommunications and data networking. You get so used to talking that language that you forget that the people you're speaking to may not have a clue as to what you mean. I have to work hard when dealing with clients to avoid doing that too much.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks BRS24. When communicating with other co-workers, using "shop speak" internally is acceptable. Everyone that you're communicating with understands ALL of the initials, acronyms and abbreviations you would use. That's different than what we have going here in the yard. You have fans (outsiders) from other teams visiting everyday. We have fans from other programs that post here more than they do on their own boards. There is a reason for that.

You always have new people visiting, lurking or perhaps giving the Boneyard a "test drive." Particularly to "mature" visitors, abbreviations or initials may be a bump in the road to understanding and embracing the wit, charm, humor and general information we disseminate here on a daily basis. We have some of the most intelligent and informed participants in the world wide web here in the yard. That's part of the attraction and charm of the Boneyard.

I don't want a reader to have to work to read/understand my posts, so I try not to use initials or abbreviations. After reading Veryolddog's plea, I'm going to be even more vigilant in using a writing style that is compatible to all who would honor me by taking the time to read my thoughts and opinions. :) Again, I don't think his request is unreasonable.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that you’re nowhere near 80 or even 60 if you can make those statements. As you age, your brain slows down and it’s not unusual to struggle to remember names or common words. The ability to learn decreases with age, too. See this link. Memory Problems: What is Normal Aging and What is Not?

How about ratcheting back the snark and make an attempt to understand @veryolddog ’s problem? How about a little compassion, too? I’d get angrier with your apparent lack of concern for people except that you will find out exactly what I’m talking about some day and I take no joy in it. It’s mortifying to scramble to remember friends’ names or the name of a restaurant we went to just last week. Having people tell us to just spend 3 minutes to memorize facts is rather cold.
Fair enough but I still think veryolddog can figure it all out pretty quickly. I don't mean that to be snarky, but we are not talking advanced maths here. I just have faith he can do it.

I may not be 80 but I care and have cared for a lot of people in their 80s and 90s, so contrary to your reply, I do have knowledge on the subject. I was just teaching a 86 year old last week how to send out emails. She didn't think she could do it, now she sends me emails very hour just to remind me that she can.

She did send the entire message in the title the first time around, but all good after that. I gave her a cheat sheet too as suggested to the veryolddog. My sense is that veryolddog can do adapt as he seems to understand and refer to WWII and even ASSume.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yes, but it would affect all boards and there may be men’s basketball or football players with the same initials.
I suppose the way around that would be to add a symbol between the initials. C*W becomes Christyn Williams. If you keep the symbol consistent between boards, then you could create a system of abbreviations you need to each board.

I’m not lobbying for this, I just see it as a way around the problem if the board decided it wanted to do it.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of more than a few years ago during the flip phone era (yes I know some still use them!) several of my girl athletes were discussing how their dads were terrible texting and wondering why he just didn't use T9. They turned to me and asked if I used it. I said of course. Went home and looked it up. From that moment on I was no longer telling a lie! Old dogs (referring to me not the OP)can learn new tricks albeit sometimes really really slowly!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This reminds me of more than a few years ago during the flip phone era (yes I know some still use them!) several of my girl athletes were discussing how their dads were terrible texting and wondering why he just didn't use T9. They turned to me and asked if I used it. I said of course. Went home and looked it up. From that moment on I was no longer telling a lie! Old dogs (referring to me not the OP)can learn new tricks albeit sometimes really really slowly!
On the super highway of modern technology, I'm in the far right lane (the slow lane). I use to be in the fast lane, but year by year, modern technology passed me by. My first Radio Shack computer did not have a hard drive. We used floppy discs. You had to use DOS commands to do anything. Windows had not yet begun using icons like we do now. When I installed a hard drive in my computer, I thought I was all that and a bag of chips. I was now ready for the world. :) No more floppy discs.

Only MAC computers had the icons that every computer maker uses today. That computer was one of the first home computers on the market. The internet had not been made available to the public yet. Wi-Fi could only be found on college campuses. What a major achievement in the history of mankind that was. Can you for a moment think of what it would be like today if there was no internet?!? :eek: We've come a long way since those early days. The internet is a world wide phenomena. We as a spices are dependent on the computer chip and the internet.

The internet is an after thought we take for granted. I remember when the internet was first made available to the public. Like remote controlled color TV, cell phones and the internet, some youngsters alive today don't know a world WITHOUT those conveniences. Folks over 50 years old can remember life BEFORE cell phones and computers. What did we do before plastic credit/debit cards were invented? Can you imagine going a month W/O your cellphone or your plastic? :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul