An Appeal to Posters - Players’names | The Boneyard

An Appeal to Posters - Players’names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look,....I am 79 and going to be 80 in a few months. A lot of folks in my age group especially me do not understand the abreviations, initials of players names, the special initials of expressions, nor can I remember all of this from thread to thread. My gereration, during and post WWII, remembers the 50's, 60's and 70's music, events, and players of the time. We are just not up on our knowledge of celebreties, and special arrangement of letters. Frankly, as an illustration, Frank Sinatra was the greatest singer of all time in my opinion.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would say what you mean in plain English, in your introductions of the post and in the first paragraph of the post. I would also appreciate that if you are going to use an initial that you spell it out and place the initial after the spell out for both a name and an expression. Do not ASSume that others know what you are talking about with your use of an abbreviation. I would also appreciate that that the monitors would endorse this request.

A short story: I spent 2 consecutie years in Viet Nam. No tv, no newspapers, no outside information except for a letter from a dear one. I was in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) just short of the North Viet Nam border. When I returned to the United States of America (USA), I could not believe the changes and new information that had taken place. Everything was new. That is how your generational conversations and abbreviations seem to me and others like me.

thanks for your help.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Three decades back I had a colleague who hated acronyms/initialisms. He put it to me this way: It takes you a few seconds to spell out a word. If a hundred people puzzle over your abbreviation for a few seconds, that effort is a few minutes. If it happens a dozen times, you’re wasting an hour of their time.

I listened.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Absolutely right. Everyone should type out the name, first or last, of players.

With Kamorea “KK” Arnold, please don’t just use KK with without typing her full name first. By full name I mean KK Arnold.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I understand where you are coming from @veryolddog but the use of non words, IMO, is due to the popularity of texting. It appears that when texting, people say as much as they can using as few letters as possible, possibly due to data charges (in the olde days). But here on the Boneyard, there doesn't seem to be a character limit on posts, so that should not be a reason to use abbreviations, made up "names" and so on. And if there is a limit and your post reaches it, you probably should have stopped typing 5 minutes ago.

Reaction Score
I understand where you are coming from @veryolddog but the use of non words, IMO, is due to the popularity of texting. It appears that when texting, people say as much as they can using as few letters as possible, possibly due to data charges (in the olde days). But here on the Boneyard, there doesn't seem to be a character limit on posts, so that should not be a reason to use abbreviations, made up "names" and so on. And if there is a limit and your post reaches it, you probably should have stopped typing 5 minutes ago.
Good example - what is "IMO" ?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Let me offer up a contrarian view. While hardly a spring chicken, I may be on the younger side of this group.

The reason why people use initials rather than typing out the whole name is likely predominantly due to speed. Typing out Kamorea “KK” Arnold rather than just KK takes time, especially on a phone. Now, that may not be an issue for the youth of today, who have developed a freakish level of thumb speed and dexterity, but for those of us who have seen a few more new years, it’s a bit of a challenge. I respectfully suggest that those people who say “oh it’s not that much more time, just do it“ are being every bit as judgmental as someone who says “for god’s sake it’s 13 players, just memorize the abbreviations.” Both of those are equally self-centered positions.

Similarly remembering the variations on the players name spellings can be challenging, at least early on. This board, though for the most part a pretty forgiving and good-natured space, can be decidedly snippy about typos in names. (I’ve taken a few broadsides from posters who seem to resent the fact that my phone prefers the name Gino to Geno. Fair enough.)

Instead of imposing a regime that would be uncomfortable for about half the posters on the board no matter which way we go, why don’t we allow everyone to post the way they want to? If you’re not sure who C.D.4 or KK is, ask.

JMHO.
(Just my humble opinion.)

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let me offer up a contrarian view. While hardly a spring chicken, I may be on the younger side of this group.

The reason why people use initials rather than typing out the whole name is likely predominantly due to speed. Typing out Kamorea “KK” Arnold rather than just KK takes time, especially on a phone. Now, that may not be an issue for the youth of today, who have developed a freakish level of thumb speed and dexterity, but for those of us who have seen a few more new years, it’s a bit of a challenge. I respectfully suggest that those people who say “oh it’s not that much more time, just do it“ are being every bit as judgmental as someone who says “for god’s sake it’s 13 players, just memorize the abbreviations.” Both of those are equally self-centered positions.

Similarly remembering the variations on the players name spellings can be challenging, at least early on. This board, though for the most part a pretty forgiving and good-natured space, can be decidedly snippy about typos in names. (I’ve taken a few broadsides from posters who seem to resent the fact that my phone prefers the name Gino to Geno. Fair enough.)

Instead of imposing a regime that would be uncomfortable for about half the posters on the board no matter which way we go, why don’t we allow everyone to post the way they want to? If you’re not sure who C.D.4 or KK is, ask.

JMHO.
(Just my humble opinion.)
You don’t have to type Kamorea “KK” Arnold, just KK Arnold.

People are wasting more time typing out their reasons for using initials than it would take to just type out the name.

Reaction Score
Look,....I am 79 and going to be 80 in a few months. A lot of folks in my age group especially me do not understand the abreviations, initials of players names, the special initials of expressions, nor can I remember all of this from thread to thread. My gereration, during and post WWII, remembers the 50's, 60's and 70's music, events, and players of the time. We are just not up on our knowledge of celebreties, and special arrangement of letters. Frankly, as an illustration, Frank Sinatra was the greatest singer of all time in my opinion.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would say what you mean in plain English, in your introductions of the post and in the first paragraph of the post. I would also appreciate that if you are going to use an initial that you spell it out and place the initial after the spell out for both a name and an expression. Do not ASSume that others know what you are talking about with your use of an abbreviation. I would also appreciate that that the monitors would endorse this request.

A short story: I spent 2 consecutie years in Viet Nam. No tv, no newspapers, no outside information except for a letter from a dear one. I was in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) just short of the North Viet Nam border. When I returned to the United States of America (USA), I could not believe the changes and new information that had taken place. Everything was new. That is how your generational conversations and abbreviations seem to me and others like me.

thanks for your help.
To clarify - the phrases in bold are examples of the format you're suggesting, correct?

It seems straightforward. With predictive text on smart phones, it should pick up on what we type frequently. Once it's spelled out, with the abbreviation behind it, I don't see the issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a decidedly older dog I tend to type on a computer rather than a phone because I take forever on those things and it tends to change my beautifully crafted words to something entirely different. I'm guilty of using abbreviation for players names because I generally have no idea how to spell some of them and get called out here when I (or my phone correction) type it wrong. I'll do my best.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
First, to VeryOldDog, thank you for your service.

A few thoughts to be followed by a suggestion for the moderators.

1) I appreciate the sentiments VOD expressed - although I use shortcuts often enough, when reading I sometimes come across some that I'm not familiar with and can't fathom through context, so I wind up looking them up.

2) I think that sometimes the use of shortcuts and initials is really an indirect way of expressing affection for our players - I'm thinking all the CD's for example. I don't think that this is likely to stop.

3) I believe that even if tomorrow all posters adhered to VOD's request, down the road things will return back to as they are now. Before long this thread will be buried underneath all the thread that will come after, and over time, we'll have new posters who have never read this, not to mention current posters who are offline for a while.

Here's my suggestion:

Can the moderators put at the top of the page a resource thread that lists commonly used text abbreviations and perhaps a guide to often used abbreviations/nicknames for the players?

Reaction Score
As a decidedly older dog I tend to type on a computer rather than a phone because I take forever on those things and it tends to change my beautifully crafted words to something entirely different. I'm guilty of using abbreviation for players names because I generally have no idea how to spell some of them and get called out here when I (or my phone correction) type it wrong. I'll do my best.
I'm with @Zinethar on this. I use initials for two reasons: I post on a phone and it goes faster and, more importantly, I don't remember the spelling of a lot of the names and fear the wrath of the spelling police.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
A day or two ago I made a post as to what I thought not only what positions players would be able to play but also listed them from most likely to least likely.

To do this I opened another window to the team roster so I could copy/paste players names. I think I've finally got Azzi's down. Being dyslexic is a real "pane" in the you know what.

Yes. It took a long time to make the post. But I took the time because I respect the kids, and my fellow BYers.

Ever post I make takes awhile. And if my wife were to read it she would be bringing my attention to errors. Sometime I can actually edit it after posting because on the 3rd or 4th read even I see my goofs.

I even poked at the folks who use random capital letters to represent someone.

As a personal choice I don't acknowledge post that use random capital letters nor do I comment on the post.

Hey! Veryolddog I hear ya. :)

CL82

Reaction Score
People are wasting more time typing out their reasons for using initials than it would take to just type out the name.
You are not wrong, of course, the same argument would apply for people who have spent time explaining their reasoning for why they do not like using initials rather than full names, right?

Reaction Score
I’m totally on the side of @veryolddog on this subject. I’m relatively young by Boneyard standards, computer and internet savvy and I still can’t stand the initials. The ones that particularly get on my last nerve are CD 2-4.

Unless I’m extremely interested in a post where I can’t figure out the abbreviations immediately, usually I just stop reading. It isn’t worth my time or energy to try to figure out what someone meant.

Reaction Score

thanks for your help.
I will be happy to take the time to avoid excessive abbreviations, etc. I have the time, others may not have the time or
not be able to change established habits. Kindness: " It takes a village " Good Luck, Z

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I could be making this up, but I feel like I remember reading on here that there is a mod/setting(?) that automatically turns acronyms into full names when someone posts. Is that a really a thing?

@temery

CL82

Reaction Score
I could be making this up, but I feel like I remember reading on here that there is a mod/setting(?) that automatically turns acronyms into full names when someone posts. Is that a really a thing?

@temery
Yes. It can be problematic when different players in different sports have the same initials though.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Yes. It can be problematic when different players in different sports have the same initials though.
OOOOO. I didn't even think about that. That makes so much sense.

CL82

Reaction Score
OOOOO. I didn't even think about that. That makes so much sense.
Example that comes immediately to mind is Tyler Polley and Tyler Phommacahn.
(Try typing Polley’s initials in a post.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom