Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All I know is several of us were vilified as "kicking the program when it's down" all over this board for saying exactly what's written in the article that was plainly obvious. Hopefully the introspection and new hires do the trick on turning the corner.

Tonality wise, you guys were different. It was more 'Ollie sucks' than this is what Ollie needs to do to improve. AD Benedict sounds like he's positive on what Ollie is doing now. Which is the exact opposite of many of you guys.

Reaction Score
Well of course that's what you read from it, because it confirms what your own personal preference is.

My personal preference is for UConn men's basketball to return to national prominence, whoever is in charge.

I'm heartened that Benedict shares that goal and appears willing to take whatever measures are necessary to achieve it.

Reaction Score
I'm more confused or I should say concerned, after reading that article. It provided a lot more than the guesswork and opinions stated on this forum. Not sure how anyone can be so confident, its cool but I am reducing my outlook to hopeful.

Releasing Coach Miller may have been Ollie's biggest decision since Coaching here, and in fact may be his defining decision in respect to his future.

Anyways we are merging new coaches, and new players with the looming scrutiny with the 'new' AD. A lot of patience will be necessary this coming season, as it may be a while until these changes kick in with 'very' positive results. With our seniors leaving, players transferring, coaching staff changes, along with 3 players returning from season ending injuries, its a lot to overcome in just one season. I hope the AD fans give Ollie the time necessary to work through this.

At least we have Jalen as our foundation, which is more than most teams in the Nation. Calhoun revamped us with Chris, so I am hopeful Jalen will resurrect this program in the same fashion. Especially if he can stay for 2 more years.

The best part of the article was the UConn culture theme. That alone is why I am hopeful, and hopefully by November I can gain the confidence that other posters possess.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
After reading Calhoun's quote on Glen Miller, I'm convinced Ollie is losing his mind. We're in deep , how can anyone deny it after reading that article?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Tonality wise, you guys were different. It was more 'Ollie sucks' than this is what Ollie needs to do to improve. AD Benedict sounds like he's positive on what Ollie is doing now. Which is the exact opposite of many of you guys.

It's rather startling to read an article that states the major concerns, quotes parties from multiple perspectives, offers some new stuff, acknowledges the questions for which answers were demanded by many on The Boneyard, gives direct responses for almost all of them, and nevertheless has some people complaining and even others claiming, more or less, "That's exactly what I've been saying."

This thread has been well worth a look at comments from Ignored posters. I'm bending toward now thinking that one is a sincere fan who I'd just prefer not to read, and I think I've decided that someone new fits that category as well.

"Ignoring: it's not just for trolls and the relentlessly negative."

C

Chief00

Links not working but I found it from Courant's twitter feed:

This is certainly interesting:

"As described by several sources close to the program, who spoke to the Courant on condition of anonymity, Ollie, always businesslike and close-to-the-vest, had become resistant to "letting people in," less communicative, more determined to distance himself from the Calhoun era."

I seriously wonder if his divorce has really affected him on a deeper level.

Chief reported this days ago.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. Can Ollie turn it around? I kind of fall into the 'you are either a good college basketball coach or you're not' camp. I think Calhoun could surround himself with a bunch of turnips assistants and still pump out winning teams. I like that Ollie is making changes and being introspective, but is he truly capable of building and maintaining a successful college basketball program? The next few months and year will be interesting for sure.

C

Chief00

Not gonna lie, I was surprised to the flexibility argument pop up in the article:

There was disenchantment throughout the athletic department in the way the Huskies' front-court players were developing, slow in putting on weight, more flexibility than strength.

Listen to Chief next time - beat the Courant by two years.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's rather startling to read an article that states the major concerns, quotes parties from multiple perspectives, offers some new stuff, acknowledges the questions for which answers were demanded by many on The Boneyard, gives direct responses for almost all of them, and nevertheless has some people complaining and even others claiming, more or less, "That's exactly what I've been saying."

This thread has been well worth a look at comments from Ignored posters. I'm bending toward now thinking that one is a sincere fan who I'd just prefer not to read, and I think I've decided that someone new fits that category as well.

"Ignoring: it's not just for trolls and the relentlessly negative."
Then stop talking about it and do it, ffs.

Reaction Score
No, after reading it is starting to make some sense. Calhoun was and is completely in support of Miller who is a great X's and O's guy but KO decided he needed to try to get better players and Chillious was the answer. Pretty much what has been said about Chillious. We are in a totally different recruiting world than when we were in the BE and ultimately you have to have the best talent on the floor you can get, you can't just always coach it up. We are not only going for talent but toughness, and we have to be honest here about the toughness of our recent teams, especially down low. So for $350,000 he gets the job, let's see if he's worth it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
After reading Calhoun's quote on Glen Miller, I'm convinced Ollie is losing his mind. We're in deep , how can anyone deny it after reading that article?

It's more Ollie has already lost his mind, can he get it back is the key. Losing his mind implies that this is going to get worse from here... and from reading that article it doesn't give that impression at all.

Reaction Score
Would love to know more about UConn "not being the right fit" for Durham, and how it's "hard to describe." None of the guys leaving seemed to have the mental makeup necessary to succeed at UConn, and that shows more and more with every piece that comes out about the situation. They'll get some hard-nosed dudes who want to compete. And hopefully we don't lose 2 of our 3 best players for the season again for a long time.
One thing anyone could notice with these 3 players on the court is they all appeared to be very "soft" players, both with their style of play and body language; especially on the defensive end.

None of them showed mental toughness and discipline on the defensive end, and you never really saw any of them show some swagger on the offensive end, no mean muggin or intensity. That's not Uconn basketball in my eyes...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Based on that article, I believe Benedict better see some results from Chillious. $350k is for his recruiting ability. He already has experience and all his connections, so unlike Ollie he won't be given 6 years to figure out how to do his job.

Reaction Score
This is probably the deepest look into the state of the UConn program since the season ended. Isn't a very rosy picture, but not completely doom & gloom either.

I think it's safe to consider next year a season on the brink.

Sounds like Ollie might be in a dark place. Hope he finds the light.
I have every confidence that Kevin and staff are going to turn this around!

Reaction Score
"As described by several sources close to the program, who spoke to The Courant on condition of anonymity, Ollie, always businesslike and close-to-the-vest, had become resistant to "letting people in," less communicative, more determined to distance himself from the Calhoun era."

Hmmm... sounds like Diaco.

Reaction Score
They're attempting to be funny by mocking me because they are both 10 years old.
I've been mocked and called a fake fan for the past 6 months even though I haven't missed a UConn game I could watch for the past 30 years and have close to 20,000 posts on a UConn message board. People mocking and calling me a fake fan feels like grade school behavior, IMO.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been called a fake fan 3 times this week over the most trivial things. So it only gets annoying when you see the other side a couple times in a day?
I don't think you be saying that if you were a real fan.

Reaction Score
"As described by several sources close to the program, who spoke to The Courant on condition of anonymity, Ollie, always businesslike and close-to-the-vest, had become resistant to "letting people in," less communicative, more determined to distance himself from the Calhoun era."

Hmmm... sounds like Diaco.

of winning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member