Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Insightful piece. I was surprised to hear Calhoun's commentary, I didn't think he would be so candid.

Does anyone know what role he still has within the program? It said he still has an office in the Werth Center. I'm curious to know more about his current relationship with KO .

Talk to Calhoun for 5 mins and you'll know his exact feelings he isn't one to mince words.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The part I found most fascinating is that Benedict has taken it upon himself to interview every single player to understand what's going on. He's obviously not content to sit back and let KO try to fix things on his own, and is alarmed by the current state of the program.

This suggests KO may be on a hotter seat than some realize.
You have a special skill at finding the worst possible interpretation of everything.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, I was surprised to the flexibility argument pop up in the article:

There was disenchantment throughout the athletic department in the way the Huskies' front-court players were developing, slow in putting on weight, more flexibility than strength.
Obscure reference, but that quote reminds me of Vinny Chase having that girlfriend who was obsessed with yoga in Entourage.
IMG_8534.JPG

Fiona: Have you seen a video of a slaughter house, Ari?
Vince: Meat is murder.
Ari: Even broccoli screams when you rip it from the ground.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The part I found most fascinating is that Benedict has taken it upon himself to interview every single player to understand what's going on. He's obviously not content to sit back and let KO try to fix things on his own, and is alarmed by the current state of the program.

This suggests KO may be on a hotter seat than some realize.

It's also interesting, but not surprising, that people in the athletic department were unsatisfied with the physical development of our frontcourt. Maybe @Chief00 was onto something after all?

It's a great technique used by leaders in many industries.

When someone leaves your company in good standing, a good exit interview can give great insight.

Makes me a bigger fan of AD Dave.

I'm also confident these exit interviews reinforced that the transferring players weren't good fits at UConn. AD Dave's quote hits on this directly.

The most fair criticism of Ollie is recruiting players who weren't a good fit long-term at UConn. That leads to high turnover which becomes a pattern.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Seriously, how has this guy been hiding as a covert UConn fan for so long, and a beat writer no less!

Jesus - aren't you two doing the exact thing you chide @Stairmaster about all the time? In multiple threads no less. Must be exhausting.

As for the article - great read. Good for Dom too on getting the scoop. I have a great feeling about Benedict.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Jesus - aren't you two doing the exact thing you chide @Stairmaster about all the time? In multiple threads no less. Must be exhausting.

As for the article - great read. Good for Dom too on getting the scoop. I have a great feeling about Benedict.

They're attempting to be funny by mocking me because they are both 10 years old.

Reaction Score
Benedict is fantastic and has greatly exceeded expectations. However, my question is where would we be if 2 key players weren't injured? Would any of these issues have come out? Certainly VJ, SE and JD would have played less and thus been more disgruntled, but would all this self-reflection and changes have occurred?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

I've been called a fake fan 3 times this week over the most trivial things. So it only gets annoying when you see the other side a couple times in a day?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
King Rice.

Oh yeah, kooky old Stairmaster just pulled the name King Rice out of thin air.

Or did he?

Durham transferring

That's right, people like you who think KO isn't the answer actually do believe King Rice would be an upgrade over what we have currently, and would want the university to pursue him. Same with the guy who currently coaches East Tennessee State. And you think I'm the crazy one here. Excuse me if I'd rather give what we have a year or two instead of dumping him for a low-major coach who hasn't done crap because "Woe is us, we have hit rock bottom, nothing could possibly be worse!"

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, kooky old Stairmaster just pulled the name King Rice out of thin air.

Or did he?

Durham transferring

That's right, people like you who think KO isn't the answer actually do believe King Rice would be an upgrade over what we have currently, and would want the university to pursue him. Same with the guy who currently coaches East Tennessee State. And you think I'm the crazy one here. Excuse me if I'd rather give what we have a year or two instead of dumping him for a low-major coach who hasn't done crap because "Woe is us, we have hit rock bottom, nothing could possibly be worse!"
LMAO!!! That's what you came up with?

I recall when I called you out for how ridiculous your King Rice mention was the first time I saw it. You said "fair points, I'll respond when I get a chance", but you never did. Clever way to duck out of a dumb comment.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
LMAO!!! That's what you came up with?

I recall when I called you out for how ridiculous your King Rice mention was the first time I saw it. You said "fair points, I'll respond when I get a chance", turns out you never did. Clever way to duck out of a dumb comment.

I wouldn't have a King Rice mention to make if you and your merry band of idiots weren't irrational enough to believe he would be an upgrade over Kevin Ollie. I get being upset over a losing season but man, are you guys detached from reality.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Look in a mirror. You are the same person with a different perspective. You defend KO like he is himself.

This article hit close enough to home that Ruslan had to come out of the woodwork.

Look! It's John Calipari behind a tree!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed strongly on Benedict. He's a winner.

But I think this dispels the notion that Benedict is content to sit back and let KO handle things himself. It gives the impression that Benedict would have few qualms about making a change at the top.

This is one of the few things Chief was on very early. I give him full credit for it now.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have a King Rice mention to make if you and your merry band of idiots weren't irrational enough to believe he would be an upgrade over Kevin Ollie. I get being upset over a losing season but man, are you guys detached from reality.
Wait... what? Somehow you thinking King Rice from MONMOUTH would be a great hire for UConn somehow reflects on my detachment from reality? I don't understand the mental gymnastics you used to come to that conclusion.

You realize you are being made fun of because it's a terrible take right, not that we somehow think he would be an upgrade over Ollie, I don't get how you are throwing your dumb take on me. Man up and own it.

Reaction Score
Oh so now the divorce is a valid thing to bring up because it's in an article? I seem to recall @Rocktheworld having strong feelings about this one, something about a stick in someone's A..
lol strong feelings about what someone posted on the internet

I said you had a stick up your ass because the unnecessary tone with which you posted. And based on this tag, I can see it's still firmly lodged

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Wait... what? Somehow you thinking King Rice from MONMOUTH would be a great hire for UConn somehow reflects on my detachment from reality? I don't understand the mental gymnastics you used to come to that conclusion.

You two need your own thread... I can feel the love from here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I really like what I've heard about and from Ollie vis a vis learning from his mistakes, and making requisite changes to address problems. And he needs to make more. This is one fo the things I was most worried about Ollie, could admit failure, learn and change fast enough as required for this job? Looks like he is trying to do that. We'll see if results show both on the court and the recruiting trail soon enough.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
lol strong feelings about what someone posted on the internet

I said you had a stick up your ass because the unnecessary tone with which you posted. And based on this tag, I can see it's still firmly lodged
I'll post in any tone I want in a thread where I'm sharing what I've heard and you butt in demanding a series of answers with the intention of invalidating the whole discussion. My tone was a "fk you", and it will remain as such if you come at me like that, don't know why you would be surprised by that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Benedict is fantastic and has greatly exceeded expectations. However, my question is where would we be if 2 key players weren't injured? Would any of these issues have come out? Certainly VJ, SE and JD would have played less and thus been more disgruntled, but would all this self-reflection and changes have occurred?

Who knows? I'd submit that the what-ifs don't really matter. If everyone was healthy, and say we ended up playing much better as the year went on, I'm willing to bet that all 3 of those guys likely transfer anyway. There's not much you can do about guys who don't think they are a fit. The only one that makes me salty is Durham. I think he'd benefit from staying. The other two's dads got in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom