Americans Abroad | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
Did Jurgen ever cap CCV? I heard that game on the radio. They called his name all day and they praised his play.

I am so afraid that Arena is going to screw up CCV just like he and Thomas Rongen did with Neven Subotic. Oh and Rongen is back working for Arena. He might as well hire that Cosmos goalkeeper guy that does the Red Bulls games. Glorified gym teachers.
Nope, JK never capped him (we were too busy getting our hats fed to us by Mexico and Costa Rico). I was hoping they were going to sub him in late during the CR game (when the match was out of hand) just to make it official, but he never did. He is still in play for England and the US.

Reaction Score
I hate when you guys make me be fair to JK, but he just was included in the squad for the first time for the hex, and I'm sure JK planned to cap him in the Gold Cup. It's hard to play him in the Hex because he barely plays for Spurs.

I'm sure you'll see him start on the 26th or 27th against Wycombe in the next FA Cup round. He shows every promise of being good.

Reaction Score
Who was then? Aside from Arriola who was pretty good. But I can't think of anyone worth remembering other than Tommy Thompson who is just an athlete with low technical skills.

I thought Miazga, CCV, and Rubin, off the top of my head, were much more important to that team than Zalalem.

AGain, I want him to succeed and the scouts who think he will know far more about the game than I, and have seen far more of him, but I just haven't been that impressed yet.

Reaction Score
Pulisic just signed with Dortmund again through 2020. Doesn't mean he won't go to Liverpool this summer, just means that his price went up. Dortmund no longer trying to sign Zelalem and he might be going on loan to a club in the Dutch League.

Reaction Score
I thought Miazga, CCV, and Rubin, off the top of my head, were much more important to that team than Zalalem.

AGain, I want him to succeed and the scouts who think he will know far more about the game than I, and have seen far more of him, but I just haven't been that impressed yet.

I wasn't even thinking on the defensive side of the ball. I thought Hyndman was a great presence in the center. He's not a get forward kind of player but his quality let him do that in that tournament. I hope he gets playing soon. We really could use a fresh young center mid in 2018.

Reaction Score
Pulisic was given another year at Dortmund. His contract now expires Summer 2020. Smart move. By then he could be a regular contributor at a major club.

Christian Pulisic renews contract with Borussia Dortmund, which is absolutely the right (non-)move for him

They discussed this yesterday on Counterattack and for once I agreed with that loser Brian Dunseth.

I hope he stays there through 2018. Arena is going to want to play him every game in Russia and he needs all the minutes he can get.

Dortmund has been fantastic for him. He has six Champions League starts. Starts nearly every league match. He's been getting selected over players like Schurrle. So he is getting a fair shot.

Liverpool is usually in the Europa League. At Dortmund he has had some bad games, and Tuchel yanks him out. BUT they have the patience and foresight to keep playing him because they are smart enough to get that a 17/18 year old is going to get tired and have off days. In the Premier League, if a player has one off day then he is rubbish forever and the manager gets criticized for continuing to play that player. So Dortmund and the Bundesliga are a better developmental platform and basically on the same level as any of the EPL clubs.

Reaction Score
Hyndman started and scored for Rangers today. They won 2-0 against Motherwell.

Reaction Score
Yedlin was "Man of the Match" or at least had the highest player rating for Newcastle v. Derby County earlier today. I didn't see it, just saw the player ratings.

F. Johnson with an assist for M'gladbach. He came on in the 65th minute and picked up the assist 7 minutes later for the opening and winning goal.

Pulisic on the bench for Dortmund, still at half time so we'll see if he subs in later. Big match for them v Leipzig to get back in top 4.

Reaction Score
On Friday Bobby Wood played 90 for Hamburg in their win against Bayer Leverkusen.

John Anthony Brooks played 90 for Hertha BSC in an 1:0 win at home against Ingolstadt.

Stuttgart (Julian Green traded from Bayern München) in Bundesliga 2 doesn't play until Monday.

Jann George came out after 71 minutes for SSV Jahn Regensburg (Bundesliga 3) in their draw (1-1) in the fog (ironically) against SG Sonnenhof Großaspach - a game which I was able to livestream from Bavarian Broadcasting. (I turned 70 today so I am amazed at the c0nnectivity we have these days.)

Reaction Score
Yedlin was "Man of the Match" or at least had the highest player rating for Newcastle v. Derby County earlier today. I didn't see it, just saw the player ratings.

F. Johnson with an assist for M'gladbach. He came on in the 65th minute and picked up the assist 7 minutes later for the opening and winning goal.

Pulisic on the bench for Dortmund, still at half time so we'll see if he subs in later. Big match for them v Leipzig to get back in top 4.

He went in for Dembele early in the second half against Leipzig. He looked better than Dembele ever did.

Reaction Score
Julian Green started for his new team, VfB Stuttgart, in Bundesliga 2 on Monday and scored in the 20th minute. Stuttgart won 2-0 over Fortuna Düsseldorf. Green played 61 minutes. Jerome Kiesewetter played the second half for Düsseldorf.

Reaction Score
Chandler had a solid 90 for Frankfurt Sunday, helping them to a 2-0 win and jump to 3rd place in the Bundesliga (Dortmund is 4th).

Reaction Score
I should have mentioned in yesterday's post that, with their win, VfB Stuttgart took possession of first place in Bundesliga 2. Being at the top of the league they would not have dealt for Green unless they thought he would help achieve promotion. Maybe Green will be getting some play at that level soon after having to sit on the bench for Bayern. Stuttgart also has another young American, Joel Sonora, on the roster who started and played 90 in the majority of the games before the Christmas pause.

Reaction Score
Julian Green scored for Stuttgart, putting in a solid 60-70 minutes. They're first place in Bundesliga 2 and should get promoted to Bundesliga for next season.
Wood also had a nice goal for Hamburg in 'German Cup' match. Dortmund and Frankfurt play later today

Reaction Score
It was Pulisic v. Brooks today in Germany. Dortmund v Hertha Berlin in a Cup match, and it went to PK's after 120+ minutes.
Pulisic subbed on in the 46th minute and immediately assisted on Dortmund's only goal before PK's, but his PK was saved during (terrible placement, easy save).
Both Brooks and Pulisic seem to have had solid games. I only got to watch the final 30 minutes and PK's.

Reaction Score
It was Pulisic v. Brooks today in Germany. Dortmund v Hertha Berlin in a Cup match, and it went to PK's after 120+ minutes.
Pulisic subbed on in the 46th minute and immediately assisted on Dortmund's only goal before PK's, but his PK was saved during (terrible placement, easy save).
Both Brooks and Pulisic seem to have had solid games. I only got to watch the final 30 minutes and PK's.

My kid was sick today so I was able to watch the whole match. Did you notice how much the cameras were on Brooks? I guess his nickname is "The Berlin Wall". That's the 4th or 5th Hertha match I have watched and he is pretty much the man in that squad.

I really hope Bruce doesn't get cute and make the mistake of trying Pulisic in the middle. He is so good along that sideline and his awareness in the final third is really good. I think he will be more like Landon and be an assist guy more than a goal guy. He is totally built to be a winger though, at this moment in time that's the only place he should play.

Good day for Americans in Germany today just about everybody had a goal or an assist. Wood scored, Johnson assisted, Chandler, assist, Wooten goal.

Reaction Score
Julian Green scored for Stuttgart, putting in a solid 60-70 minutes. They're first place in Bundesliga 2 and should get promoted to Bundesliga for next season.
Wood also had a nice goal for Hamburg in 'German Cup' match. Dortmund and Frankfurt play later today

The MLS losers are going to have to swallow their pride on this. The player who supposedly "stole" landycake's spot is maturing nicely. We saw that in Sept in the friendliest when he was pretty much the only player who looked good and was busting his butt to show he belonged.

We will have options in the wings if we get to Russia.

Reaction Score
The MLS losers are going to have to swallow their pride on this. The player who supposedly "stole" landycake's spot is maturing nicely. We saw that in Sept in the friendliest when he was pretty much the only player who looked good and was busting his butt to show he belonged.

We will have options in the wings if we get to Russia.

I never considered Donovan's spot as going to Green. I think it went to the other MLS loser, Wondo.

Reaction Score
Terrence Boyd started and scored for Darmstadt today where they beat Dortmund 2-1. Pulisic played the full 90 and was just ok. That's a big upset, Darmstadt was last in the table.

Reaction Score
Wood with a goal in Hamburgs 2-1 loss v M'gladbach in a German Cup match. Johnson subbed in in the 76th minute for 'gladbach.
There will be at least 2 Americans (and possibly a 3rd if Dortmund wins in a couple weeks) in the German Cup semi-final.
Eintraccht Frankfurt (Timmy Chandler) v M'gladbbach (F. Johnson). Bayern is awaiting Dortmund (most likely) in the other semi.

Reaction Score
Wood with a goal in Hamburgs 2-1 loss v M'gladbach in a German Cup match. Johnson subbed in in the 76th minute for 'gladbach.
There will be at least 2 Americans (and possibly a 3rd if Dortmund wins in a couple weeks) in the German Cup semi-final.
Eintraccht Frankfurt (Timmy Chandler) v M'gladbbach (F. Johnson). Bayern is awaiting Dortmund (most likely) in the other semi.

Dortmund has only to get by Sportfreunde Lotte. But it's crazy that third division Sportfreunde have even made it all the way to the quarter final round. They have already beaten Bremen and Leverkusen from the Bundesliga and 1860 Munich of the Second Bundesliga. Sportfreunde were only promoted last year from the fourth division Regionalliga (West). Maybe it has something to do with the home team's familiarity with the poor playing surface in Lotte. As the lower level team all of their Cup games have been in Lotte. All of the other quarter finals were played this week, but Lotte-Dortmund was postponed, possibly to the 14th, due to unplayable conditions on Lotte's pitch. They should find a neutral location to play the game to reduce the chances for injuries.

Reaction Score
Americans in Germany: Fabian Johnson, two goals today in 'gladbach's 4-2 win over Schalke. Christian Pulisic got one of the six goals for Dortmund. Dortmund's next Cup opponent for that delayed quarter final, Sportfreunde Lotte, lost their third division game to my favorites Jahn Regensburg (a fellow promotee/Aufsteiger from the Regionalliga last year). Fortunately Pulisic and his teammates will not have to play on that bad surface at Lotte because the Cup game has been moved to Osnabrück on the 14th. Tomorrow Bobby Wood (Hamburg), John Anthony Brooks (Hertha), and Timothy Chandler (Frankfurt) see action and Julian Greene (VfB Stuttgart - 2nd Division) will not go until Monday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom