Americans Abroad | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
And now an assist. He literally is shredding Darmstadt every time he dribbles.

Reaction Score
Kid's not too bad, but how's he pronounce his Croatian name? Is it puh-LIS-ich as pronounced by Croats (ich as in itch)? Or, some butchered Americanizaed pronounciation, e.g., puh-LIS-ick (as in sick)? Thanks for anyone who actually knows the correct answer.

Reaction Score
Kid's not too bad, but how's he pronounce his Croatian name? Is it puh-LIS-ich as pronounced by Croats (ich as in itch)? Or, some butchered Americanizaed pronounciation, e.g., puh-LIS-ick (as in sick)? Thanks for anyone who actually knows the correct answer.

Puh-LIS-ick

Reaction Score
Puh-LIS-ick
Butchered Americanized pronunciation then, thanks. If Pulisic continues developing into a real force, he can call himself Tiny Tim, toss tulips over his shoulder, and prance around like some modern day Pee Wee Herman ... not that there's anything wth any of those possibilities.

Reaction Score
Butchered Americanized pronunciation then, thanks. If Pulisic continues developing into a real force, he can call himself Tiny Tim, toss tulips over his shoulder, and prance around like some modern day Pee Wee Herman ... not that there's anything wth any of those possibilities.

You have nothing better to do than criticize the way an 18 year old kid elects to pronounce his own surname?

Reaction Score
You have nothing better to do than criticize the way an 18 year old kid elects to pronounce his own surname?
You have nothing better to do than woefully misinterpret a non-critical comment, and otherwise post more worthless information. Carry on! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Pulisic subbed off at half time.
Wood started for Hamburg, subbed off in the 76th minute.
Chandler starting for Eintracht Frankfurt, looks to be going the full 90 minutes.

Reaction Score
Chandler starting for Eintracht Frankfurt, looks to be going the full 90 minutes.

Gedion Zelalem even saw the pitch for Arsenal coming on at 80' in their 4-0 dismantling of Nottingham Forest

Reaction Score

I saw the first half, he looked kind of tired. I was surprised he started given that he had already played 180+ minutes inside of six days. But I think Wolfsburg had a good plan for him, which was basically to foul him at every opportunity which made him pretty frustrated. The hook was warranted.

Reaction Score
Cameron Carter Vickers to get the start for Spurs today in its League Cup match. I think this may be CCV's first start for Spurs in anything other than a friendly.

For those old enough to remember, CCV is the son of LSU hoops All American Howard "Hi-C" Carter.

Reaction Score
Former DC United Midfielder Perry Kitchen was named Captain of Hearts of Midlothian in the Scottish Premier League. He's been with the club for less than a year.

Reaction Score
So Spurs was playing a club from a few levels down, but Carter-Vickers contributed to the shutout certainly and looked more than comfortable.

CCV has an English mother and Gooch has an English and an Irish parent. Both have played for U.S. Youth teams, but I hope JK is making sure each of them get cup tied to the U.S. Before they start getting antsy. They both project to be important players down the road. Hopefully JK has an eye on this and they get used in this summer's Gold Cup for this purpose.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for CCV. Glad he got meaningful time today. Would love to see him get a cap with the USMNT during this upcoming Hex. Part of me was hoping Spurs would loan him out, similar to Yedlin, so he could get some regular PT in League Championship.

Reaction Score
So Spurs was playing a club from a few levels down, but Carter-Vickers contributed to the shutout certainly and looked more than comfortable.

CCV has an English mother and Gooch has an English and an Irish parent. Both have played for U.S. Youth teams, but I hope JK is making sure each of them get cup tied to the U.S. Before they start getting antsy. They both project to be important players down the road. Hopefully JK has an eye on this and they get used in this summer's Gold Cup for this purpose.

Jurgen mentioned this a few weeks ago. He's PO'd because the Gold Cup was moved to July and European Clubs usually aren't as accommodating since they are basically in preseason.

But I agree, that's the time to cap a bunch of guys.

Reaction Score
Jurgen mentioned this a few weeks ago. He's PO'd because the Gold Cup was moved to July and European Clubs usually aren't as accommodating since they are basically in preseason.

But I agree, that's the time to cap a bunch of guys.

If he can't do it at the Gold Cup, we need to wrap up a World Cup berth early. Because both of these players need to be cap tied.

Reaction Score

Pochettino with some high praise of CCV LINK

“For me, he can be one of the best centerbacks in England (referring to the league, not the national team) in the future,” Pochettino said. “He has a strong mentality and all the qualities for playing centerback. Does he remind me of myself as a player? No, he is better than me. I said one of the best centerbacks in England.” Internationally, Carter-Vickers has represented the U.S. at the U-18, U-20 and U-23 level, but has yet to earn a senior call-up. The defender is also eligible to represent England.

Reaction Score
Pochettino with some high praise of CCV LINK

“For me, he can be one of the best centerbacks in England (referring to the league, not the national team) in the future,” Pochettino said. “He has a strong mentality and all the qualities for playing centerback. Does he remind me of myself as a player? No, he is better than me. I said one of the best centerbacks in England.” Internationally, Carter-Vickers has represented the U.S. at the U-18, U-20 and U-23 level, but has yet to earn a senior call-up. The defender is also eligible to represent England.

Poch has been saying nothing but good things about CCV since camp opened this summer. It is interesting that they elected at his age to keep him around for occasional weekday matches rather than loan him out somewhere.

So our next international window we play two friendlies against crappy opposition. Does JK use them to cement the group that will play against Mexico and at Costa Rica in November, or does he give his starters a break and take a longer look at Green, Zalalem, MIazga, CCV, Gooch, Morris and other young talent to see which of them is ready to help us in the Hex?

Reaction Score
Poch has been saying nothing but good things about CCV since camp opened this summer. It is interesting that they elected at his age to keep him around for occasional weekday matches rather than loan him out somewhere.

So our next international window we play two friendlies against crappy opposition. Does JK use them to cement the group that will play against Mexico and at Costa Rica in November, or does he give his starters a break and take a longer look at Green, Zalalem, MIazga, CCV, Gooch, Morris and other young talent to see which of them is ready to help us in the Hex?

Based on what he has done in the past, I expect one friendly to be played by newbies and the other will have a more veteran flavor.

I think he'll leave Clint Dempsey alone even though he is practicing again. So I kind of hope that we work on getting Bobby Wood and Dozy Altidore playing together more effectively.

For the Hex, do you try to fit Sascha, Jones and Bradley together somehow? In a 4-3-3 that could be doable, but not so with a 4-4-2. Against Mexico, where they will probably dominate possession I'm not crazy about 4-4-2. Sorry, if Jones is healthy, he will figure into the Hex in a big way because we really don't have anyone who is better than him, and frankly we need physicality.

So I would say that Jurgen has to try to answer a few questions before he worries so much about giving some newbies a run out. Although, Cuba and New Zealand really aren't much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom