Am I less of a fan because.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Am I less of a fan because..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I went to CCSU but always was a fan of Uconn, even when Uconn plays CCSU I root for Uconn. I am also a ND football fan because my Dad was. I never went to ND or even seen a game there, but I am still a fan.

Same here. I lived on campus, and was a sophomore in 1999. I was watching the championship game with my college buds, who thought I was nuts (even a traitor) that I would root for UConn over CCSU.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm not a Uconn Alumn. When others cheer for their alma mater I cheer simply because I lived in Ct. And have been a fan over 25 years. I kind of feel as though I am less of a fan or not deserving as much when their is success because its really not "my school"

Not in my book. I'm not even originally from this country, much less a UConn alumnus and I feel I'm as legitimate of a fan as someone who went there. I've probably spent more time on the UConn campus than some students.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Just so you know I view all of you with equal disdain, be they alum or not. :)

Reaction Score
I didn't go to UCONN, but I have paid the state of CT enough in taxes to be a fan. I went to a lot of parties on campus as well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. Caring about the team is all that matter for being a fan. Caring about the University is a plus.
That said, I'm proud to be an alum. It gives me added satisfaction. And I graduated when Connecticut was still a colony!

Reaction Score
I'm not a Uconn Alumn. When others cheer for their alma mater I cheer simply because I lived in Ct. And have been a fan over 25 years. I kind of feel as though I am less of a fan or not deserving as much when their is success because its really not "my school"

Whoa. Don't sell yourself short, my friend. If you have been a fan for 25 years and held on through the lean years as well as the good years, you are just as deserving of being a fan as anyone else. To me it doesn't matter if you are an alumni or not. If you are a fan, you are a fan.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Here you go.

I trust this will eliminate whatever self-doubt you might harbor. Please note that while the official seal might look like a happy face someone drew with a crayon, it is totally an official seal.

Certificate2_Page_1.jpg

Attachments

• Certificate.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
Reaction Score
I'm kind of a Temple alum. (Tyler School of Art) but I'm UConn fan. The way I look at it is Connecticut is my home. Temple is the university that made my school affordable while I lived in Philadelphia. I do root for Temple against any other school, though. It's the least I can do. ;-)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. Caring about the team is all that matter for being a fan. Caring about the University is a plus.
That said, I'm proud to be an alum. It gives me added satisfaction. And I graduated when Connecticut was still a colony!
Well put. I think that's exactly the difference: fans care about the team; alumni are much more likely to care about the University. Doesn't make us any better fans, but we might feel a little more ownership of the enterprise.

Also proud to be an alum--twice.

Hoping to be an alum parent at least once, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same here. I lived on campus, and was a sophomore in 1999. I was watching the championship game with my college buds, who thought I was nuts (even a traitor) that I would root for UConn over CCSU.

I was there in the late 90's as well, lived on campus my first 2 years. Seemed like a lot of my friends on my floor were from upstate NY and Cuse fans. To be honest, I was more interested in watching the CCSU girls volleyball than the basketball team.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've been a fan of UCONN since the mid seventies and UCONN was not my first school, but I ended up there and glad I did. I did not graduate, but still love all things UCONN.

Reaction Score
been a fan since day 1 of coming out of the womb. was behind the pep bands drum set at age 2. family has been season ticket holders for 25+ years. (think I've missed about 10 games since 1995.) been to countless BE tourneys and FF's. did not attend uconn. (graduated from ccsu, 2013) never once cheered for any team besides uconn (cause serious duck* ccsu athletics.) if your from this state, born in this state, you are automatically a uconn fan. its your CHOICE to leave and become a fan of another state school (but again-why?) its automatic if you were born here. as automatic as Ray's three pointers.

Reaction Score
too bad ray couldnt hit jack when big stakes on line (frosh yr vs fl in miami in swt sixteen, jr yr vs miss st in kentucky in swt sixteen, matador defense vs uclans in oakland in soph yr elite eight, yeah he hit shots there but alot came too late when game was decided, big east tourney title tilt vs gtwn in jr yr at garden he was two for thirteen with winning shot that was probably or should have been a walking call by zebra but let us pay homage all the times he drilled the pansies on schedule)

N.B.: donyell won jack in dog uni and his legacy is goat in miami

Reaction Score
I was there in the late 90's as well, lived on campus my first 2 years. Seemed like a lot of my friends on my floor were from upstate NY and Cuse fans. To be honest, I was more interested in watching the CCSU girls volleyball than the basketball team.

A couple of years after our first title, CCSU had it's best team that lost to Iowa State in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I was on campus for that one. Great game. Too bad they couldn't build off that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
too bad ray couldnt hit jack when big stakes on line (frosh yr vs fl in miami in swt sixteen, jr yr vs miss st in kentucky in swt sixteen, matador defense vs uclans in oakland in soph yr elite eight, yeah he hit shots there but alot came too late when game was decided, big east tourney title tilt vs gtwn in jr yr at garden he was two for thirteen with winning shot that was probably or should have been a walking call by zebra but let us pay homage all the times he drilled the pansies on schedule)

N.B.: donyell won jack in dog uni and his legacy is goat in miami

Yeah we know, the 1901 team that beat Windham High was far superior.

Reaction Score
She is perhaps the greatest Husky fan.

She is, after all, a native Nutmegger, born and bred on this soil we call Connecticut.

In fact, ever since her first ancestor arrived from Europe on the Mayflower, her family has only resided in this great state.

Yeah, yeah, yeah—I studied geography in high school.

I am fully aware the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock, which is in Massachusetts and not Connecticut, but that’s just because that cussing captain took a right instead of a left.

That dumb cussing cuss must have thought to himself: “Down there to the left, the sea may be tranquil and her shores sandy, offering leaves of green beyond, but instead I think I’ll aim our ship towards that really big rock.”

Instead of, say, Mystic Grass or Fairfield’s Fields, history leaves us with Plymouth cussing Rock?

…but I digress…

…back to the heroine of our story…

She is a native Nutmegger.

Her ancestors all tilled and toiled on this soil we call Connecticut. And ever since its inception as a small agricultural college in a quaint village in the middle of nowhere, at least one member of her immediate family has sat on the board of directors of what is now known as UConn.

She, of course, graduated Magna, Sum, Cumma…whatever…top of her class.

Despite all of her history, your cheer, any cheer for our Huskies, will always mean as much as hers.

Reaction Score
Honestly the way I look at it, I grew up in CT and since we have no pro team, I consider UConn our pro team! If you like basketball then you love UConn.
This is partially why I ended up a UConn fan, lived in CT and no pro team. I like the NBA but the college game experience is more fulfilling. I love the watching the players from being recruited to following the pro and semi-pro careers. Plus once March Madness comes along I know that winter is almost done. It gets me through the doldrums of winter.
Last but not least, I have been reading the this message board for years but just recently started posting more often. I'm probably the only women in her mid fifties to go by myself to games and laugh my *ss off at Senhor T. (Also a friend of Iron Mike).

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You know, after a day of reflection I am not sure the Original Poster doesn't want an out in order to find a reason NOT to be a UConn fan. So here it goes...

Conditions for being a true UConn fan:
1. Must have earned at least a Bachelor's degree with the majority of the work done at the main campus in Storrs, Connecticut.
2. Those who have spent all 4 years at the University's main campus in Storrs are better fans than those who transferred from a branch campus.
3. Those who transferred from a branch campus are better fans than those who transfer from an outside university system
4. Those who transferred in from an outside University System are better fans than those who transfer out for ANY reason, especially for full cost of attendance.
5. Those who did not complete an undergraduate program at the University of Connecticut may only be considered a fan if they obtain a post graduate certification from the University.
----5a. Teachers and Professors.
6. All others may root for the sports team(s) of their choice sponsored by the University of Connecticut, but must also feel shame due to their 6th level of fandom...at best.

Provided the above, there are also degrees of UConn fandom and regardless of how many criteria below one may satisfy, a lower level fan may never eclipse a higher number.

With that understood. A fan must also satisfy as many of the following as possible:
A. Be a Boneyard Contributor with an acceptable Like/Post ratio, as determined by the other True Blue UConn Husky Card carrying members (FYI: moving target).
B. Understand that money donated and/or spent on tickets (regardless of personal income levels or individual wealth) equates directly to degree of fandom at the various levels.
C. Be a live attendee to all home games (regardless of personal risk or familial obligation) for at least two of the following sports: 1) Football, 2) Men's Basketball, 3) Women's Basketball.
D. Be a live viewee of all minor away contests (No DVR or TiVo).
E. Be a live attendee of all major away contests, including tournaments (early season and postseason), ranked teams, and other contests deemed major by the other True Blue UConn Husky Card carrying members (FYI: moving target).
----E1. Those who purchase overpriced and inflated ticket packages from the school hold a higher degree than those who piece together a trip on a budget.
F. Be a live attendee off all associated public (local and out of state functions including, but not limited to, banquets, scrimmages, and open practices, regardless of timing or current employment.
G. Replenish a sizable percentage of their UConn Wardrobe annually, as directed by other True Blue UConn Husky Card carrying members (FYI: moving target).
H. Be able to give a detailed resume' of how many of the above criteria they satisfy and the process by which satisfaction occurs even though it wasn't asked for or considering that others frankly don't give two Sh1ts if they tried.

Reaction Score
A couple of years after our first title, CCSU had it's best team that lost to Iowa State in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I was on campus for that one. Great game. Too bad they couldn't build off that.

I was on campus for that team as well. They had nice shooting guard, Rick Mickens I think was his name. They had some really nice teams late 90's into the early 00's.

Reaction Score
I attend another university, but I spent the first 18 years of my life in Storrs. Both parents spent time working for the university (one was an alum), and at various points in my childhood we had season tickets to men's BB, women's BB, and football. Being a UCONN fan just made sense, even though I knew for a while that I wanted to experience college elsewhere. (Thanks to SNY carrying the games, my fandom hasn't dampened.)

Bottom line is, simply having attended UCONN as a student is an arbitrary and meaningless when classifying fans. A good number of my HS friends are at UCONN and have ended up being fairweather fans who simply attend games for social reasons. No way they're better fans than some of the non-alums on the board.

My nephew does not attend Uconn but he roots for it almost as much as I do. Blame that on Kemba from 2011. In fact, he created/suggested my Boneyard handle because he is an avid fan of Manny Pacquio, the great boxer from the western side of the Pacific rim.

Reaction Score
A couple of years after our first title, CCSU had it's best team that lost to Iowa State in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I was on campus for that one. Great game. Too bad they couldn't build off that.[/
Thst was one of the most thrilling games ever, Central had them worried.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Nope I never went there except to party and get laid. But I was a fan way before I was able to do either of those. I am quite sure I am a bigger fan than most alums - and not because I'm an old fat guy!

images

This is you? I remember seeing you chilling in X-Lot during Spring Weekend back in day circa 1990...

Reaction Score
I was on campus for that team as well. They had nice shooting guard, Rick Mickens I think was his name. They had some really nice teams late 90's into the early 00's.

Rick Mickens, the big fella Corsley Edwards, and a transfer whose name escapes me.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You are even more of a fan my friend. Never doubt that. If only UCONN alumni were true fans this program wouldn't have 4 NCAA trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom