Am I less of a fan because.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Am I less of a fan because..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
McCracken and Donyell say it the best. Regardless of you are an alum/student, all that is required for fandom is a continual emotional investment.

I have been a fan of Michigan Football since the Schembechler days and the first time I stepped foot in Ann Arbor was August 2010, the weekend UConn played in the Big House.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
As an alum and Connecticut resident... NO, it does not make you less of a fan.

I was a big fan of UConn basketball before attending as a student. Also, I know many students and fellow alum who can't name our coaches of the men's and women's basketball teams yet call themselves 'fans'. Whereas many of us are only Connecticut residents rooting for our state's team and know every player on each team.

As others have stated, UConn is the state university of Connecticut, so if you live in CT and pay taxes, you are a part of the university. Also, Connecticut has no pro sports teams, so who better to root for than the huskies!?

Reaction Score
If you ever feel guilty that you didn't throw $80,000 to UConn you could always buy lots of booze and strippers then have a meeting with Delaney. Maybe he would be more inclined to talk UConn then?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you ever feel guilty that you didn't throw $80,000 to UConn you could always buy lots of booze and strippers then have a meeting with Delaney. Maybe he would be more inclined to talk UConn then?
But make sure to spell his name correctly. There is a positive, non-zero probability that people of his stature could have large, but fragile, egos and may very well take it as a sign of disrespect.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Someplace in a dusty file or an old computer tape archived in a salt mine are the six credits I got at UConn while in High School... strictly speaking based on Websters that makes me an alum... :p

It's all BS... if UConn (or any big time athletic department) relied only on Alumni to make up their fan base they'd all go broke.

Reaction Score
Fan is short for fanatic - a person marked or motivated by an extreme unreasonable enthusiasm.

Neither I nor my three sons attended UConn, but we BELIEVE in UConn basketball. We are fans.

Note that unreasonable goes along with being on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
A fan is a fan. I didn't play for the Yankees, but I'm more of a fan than some of their "alums" (except for George Costanza).

The only time I've ever differentiated between alum and non-alum is when I see a fan(s) that I'm embarrassed to be associated with. Then I'm just hoping they're also not tainting my alma mater as a graduate. I think the alum/non-alum divide is bigger at schools that have a big difference in alums vs. fans. Notre Dame, Duke, even a Michigan, have some Neanderthal fans that probably embarrass alums (especially snooty Duke grads which I know a number of).

The strongest programs have loads on non-alum fans. I don't live in Connecticut so I watch on tv or go to games when UConn is in NY or NJ. The more fans in and out of CT, the stronger the program... In my opinion.

Reaction Score
I went to CCSU but always was a fan of Uconn, even when Uconn plays CCSU I root for Uconn. I am also a ND football fan because my Dad was. I never went to ND or even seen a game there, but I am still a fan.

Reaction Score
I'm an Alum and CT native and I see my brother who is only a CT Native as just a big fan as I. Well I might be a little bit more a fanatic as I live on the BY for UCONN News. LOL! We both have been to 4 of the 5 UCONN Final Fours(Just missed the first one) and live and die Husky Blue. I don't think it really matters even if you live out of state and follow them avidly.

Reaction Score
Not at all. The only thing I would say, however, is fans of sports teams that have no connection to the school generally care less about anything OTHER than the sports teams. Alum, on the other hand, care about the impact athletics has on the school at large.

Doesn't make the fandom any different, but it makes for different perspectives on economics, conference, etc.

I am not a grad of UCONN but believe me I worry about all of the above.

Reaction Score
I've been a Huskie fan for 60 years,ever since I discovered them on the radio as a young boy.
I visited Storrs in the late fifities as my cousin briefly played football there.
That was before 91 and 84 ,it was a couple of hour ride from the lower valley.
Using the old Berlin Tpke to Hartford and country rds to Storrs.
I knew I wanted to go there. It may have been the ice cream.
however Circumstances did not permit my dream to be fulfilled ,as going away to college was not an option. How AZ went to college is a book by itself.
I did latter graduate from a Materials Management training program
offered by UConn ,I still have the certificate.
I don't feel any less a fan , in some ways the intensity of my commitment is well beyond that of the typical alumi.
UConn,basketball in particular has a huge following in the state, even though their alumi base is smaller than many of the larger states.
It not if you attended or not that makes you more or less of a fan it's the amount loyality and concern you have during success or failure.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Alum here.

A fan is a fan regardless of the connection. Alumni, resident of CT, family connection, whatever.

The alums will obviously have a closer connection to the school as a whole, but the sports teams? Doesn't matter.

Though, I'm sure there are some die hard real fans in the state, but if you grew up in CT rooting for Cuse, BC or the Cowboys etc with no tie whatsoever, I have to question you.

Reaction Score
If you are real happy after a big win, you're a fan.

If you feel like you just ran over your own dog after a loss, you're a fan.

I am an alum, but its all about how much you care about the team that counts.

Reaction Score
Grew up in CT but now living in TX. Im not a Uconn Alum and I actually have not yet been able to even attend a Uconn sporting event (hope to change that soon when we play SMU in Dallas) But I still eat, sleep, and breath Uconn. Its all we have in our little state, the pride and joy of Connecticut.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I never played for the Red Sox and have not ownership in them, yet I consider myself to be a fan since I care, probably too much, about their successes and failures. Same goes for college sports.

Not if you want the definition of "less of a fan" just look here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I grew up in CT but barely even went on campus ever except for soccer camp. I only consider myself a fan of men's bball and soccer (which I don't follow much now that my former coach isn't an assistant coach there any more).

Everyone knows not to disturb me during a uconn bball game and most would assume I went to scool there so I think it's safe to call that being a fan. When asked who I would root for if uconn and uva played in the elite 8 I answered uconn with no hesitation. I'll take uva in everything else but uconn bball trumps all (especially my other soon to be Alma mater...nc state...barf)

Reaction Score
The way I look at it - a fan is a fan - the more the merrier. My experience was definitely enhanced though when I was a student. It's like being a fan of the Yankees, Sox, Giants, Pats, etc except you get to hang with the team in their facilities. To be a student on campus during a great season is impossible to explain - BUT it does not diminish the joy and excitement non students or alums can derive from the success of the programs. Some of the biggest fan I know are not alums. If you bleed blue you are a Husky!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not a Uconn Alumn. When others cheer for their alma mater I cheer simply because I lived in Ct. And have been a fan over 25 years. I kind of feel as though I am less of a fan or not deserving as much when their is success because its really not "my school"
Forget about the address of your residence or your academic history. You are a member of the Boneyard and root for at least one of UConn's teams.
And it doesn't appear your fandom has been questioned by Boneyarders unless you have other aliases such as WeAreUConn, william shea, HuskiesAllDay and a few others that a significant number of Boneyarders categorize as trolls.
That makes you a card carrying fan!

However I have to wonder about your name. You can't be all that smart asking for advice from this group. Not even about pizza. :)

Reaction Score
I didn't attend UCONN -graduated from Central. But have been a UCONN fan for over 40 years (season ticketholder for last 34 years).

Was one of only a couple guys on the CCSU(technically it was still CCSC in 1980) campus I know of that were actually cheering for UCONN when UCONN/CCSU first met in 1980.

IMO you are not any less of a fan if you didn't graduate from the school you root for.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I'm an alum too, and your fan-hood isn't determined by the fact that you either went to the school or didn't. If you bleed blue and white, that's all that matters.

Exactly. We even had a guy on my floor at UConn that rooted for Georgetown. :mad: Now that was pathetic.

Reaction Score
I bleed blue. I'm an emotional wreck after stupid losses and feel like the hulk after the team beats anyone (including teams like Bryant). I have never lived in Connecticut and obviously never attended UConn. Born and raised in North Carolina and graduated from NC State spring 2014. I picked UConn as a team to follow the age they allow you to start playing community basketball and never looked back. I hate having to explain to people why I like UConn since it's foreign to do so here with all the UNC, Duke, and NC State fans around. I don't get upset though when I feel people look at me weird. lol I'm use to it.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Notre Dame's fan-dom was limited only to Notre Dame alumni. Then realize that our basketball program (both, actually) is better than their football program. This is not a problem at all.

Conversely, those of us who went to UConn can recall dozens of students who just didn't care about athletics at all. If that's their right, you certainly have the right to jump onboard without having graduated from UConn.

Reaction Score
I went to CCSU but always was a fan of Uconn, even when Uconn plays CCSU I root for Uconn. I am also a ND football fan because my Dad was. I never went to ND or even seen a game there, but I am still a fan.

I am also an ND football fan due to dad, he was a die hard. Funny thing is the first game I went to ever at South Bend (only game) was UConn a few years ago and I found out my Husky National Flag Blue blood is thicker than my green Irish blood. ;) I wasn't sure as I was heading out there quite honestly!

Reaction Score
I'm not a Uconn Alumn. When others cheer for their alma mater I cheer simply because I lived in Ct. And have been a fan over 25 years. I kind of feel as though I am less of a fan or not deserving as much when their is success because its really not "my school"

Does your mood sour when the random thought of UConn being in the AAC pops into your head? IF the answer is yes, you are equally as deserving of UConn fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom