Alterique unlikely vs. Houston | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Alterique unlikely vs. Houston

Reaction Score
In the recruiting game, coaches have to be aware of all possible scenarios. Injuries, transfers (including grad. transfers), and eligibility issues: both coming and going.
(including reclassifications). A staff that can really "grind" is always prepared and keeps their eyes open.
You never know who might become available or unavailable at any time.

C

Chief00

Great now chief is questioning or medical program:oops:

I am just stating the obvious for any program. For this complex type of injury situation both the coach and trainer should stay quiet and let the expert who was in there during the surgery make the determination.

Reaction Score
I love AG, but we need to proceed as if AG isn’t on the roster, he’s technically a freshman eligibility wise. This could haunt us for 3 more years. It’s time to just move on and if he’s available then treat it as if it’s unexpected.
The only way AG is here 3 more years is if he’s on the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
How would bringing in another guard help us?!?!?!?!?
If we could get another ball handler if AG can't go. Can never have enough of them. We only have Gaffney who is more of a combo guard.

Reaction Score
Isn't this where coach Hunter's son Jaylen (spelling?) at East Catholic High could save the day. He is a point guard...correct? And wouldn't use up a scholarship.

I would welcome that.

Reaction Score
How would bringing in another guard help us?!?!?!?!?

If we can get another good guard, cool. But that should not be the priority at all. We need one or two front-court players, we need our wings to improve their guard skills and we need need our returning guards and guard recruits to continue to improve.

Reaction Score
I am just stating the obvious for any program. For this complex type of injury situation both the coach and trainer should stay quiet and let the expert who was in there during the surgery make the determination.
I agree just some levity being tossed around.

Reaction Score
Other than helping us not get as embarrassed as we would otherwise, it's probably best Gilbert takes whatever time he needs.

Reaction Score
“I probably underplayed how long it would take for him to get back from it,” said Hurley. “That night (Jan. 26), I don’t think I had information, and I definitely should not have played doctor.”

Lesson learned now I doubt he was being trying to decieve anyone.

It's possible that Hurley and the medical staff under-diagnosed the injury. It's also possible that the injury really isn't that significant, but Gilbert doesn't trust it and isn't comfortable getting back into game action despite being physically able, and Hurley is providing him some cover.

Hurley would say the exact same thing in either scenario.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Get a bigger crowd?
Ah, makes sense. I figured it was just the opportunity to play at the XL. It is the basketball mecca of, uh, Hartford, I guess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying it will be easy to recruit a 6th guard. But it is necessary and would be more than worth it if Gilbert misses time.

Isn't it likely that we will have the kid from East Catholic as a walk-on?

Reaction Score
Had a dream last night that AG re-injured his shoulder again. Like after this injury. Might not be a sign, but it might be too.

We all have dreams, but none greater than this one.

Reaction Score
In the recruiting game, coaches have to be aware of all possible scenarios. Injuries, transfers (including grad. transfers), and eligibility issues: both coming and going.
(including reclassifications). A staff that can really "grind" is always prepared and keeps their eyes open.
You never know who might become available or unavailable at any time.
This exact scenario is where the staff assembled (including Hurley) will show their competency. You have an awful lot of twisted scenarios; current injuries (JA), longer-term injuries (yes AG, but also Diarra) sidelining players for multiple years and vast unpredictability for future years, current players unable to contribute presently and may not have the capacity to develop, scholarship reduction, players meeting qualifications of the system you are trying to implement. The list goes on, however by show of continuous "grind" this staff seems to have the "process" in the right direction. Can't say I'd be surprised by shake-ups all in the name of restoring the program.

Reaction Score
Have you seen them play?
They are bigger, stronger and faster in most every position vs UConn
Sampson doesn’t grind in recruiting like Hurley about too
Lets talk after Dan Hurley gets some quality bigs and has the success that Sampson has had at UH

Not saying that UConn won't be where UH is right now but it starts with getting physical guys and I don't see any wearing a UConn uniform now and not much of that type coming in - yet.

Kelvin Sampson has won two tournament games in 15 years one with Houston and you got him next to Coach K. Nobody wanted Sampson he got a third chance and he has done ok but he hasn’t won anything yet. If he is the best coach in this league then I like Hurley’s chances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom