Alterique unlikely vs. Houston | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Alterique unlikely vs. Houston

Reaction Score
“I probably underplayed how long it would take for him to get back from it,” said Hurley. “That night (Jan. 26), I don’t think I had information, and I definitely should not have played doctor.”

Lesson learned now I doubt he was being trying to decieve anyone.

Again, what guard is going to sign on as a 6th guard? A freshman will be again a freshman as you mentioned about Gaff and Bouk. A grad student won’t come here as a 6th guard. We have 5 guards and will role with a freshman if Gilbert gets hurt. It happens.

I'm not saying it will be easy to recruit a 6th guard. But it is necessary and would be more than worth it if Gilbert misses time.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I love AG, but we need to proceed as if AG isn’t on the roster, he’s technically a freshman eligibility wise. This could haunt us for 3 more years. It’s time to just move on and if he’s available then treat it as if it’s unexpected.

Reaction Score
Next year, If we play 3 guards as often as we do this year, we probably need a pass first playmaker PG who can handle running the team. Historically we had nothing but disastrous times when we were short at the PG. Other positions can be covered with overlap, but not the playmaker.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love AG, but we need to proceed as if AG isn’t on the roster, he’s technically a freshman eligibility wise. This could haunt us for 3 more years. It’s time to just move on and if he’s available then treat it as if it’s unexpected.
With this kind of love, I can't wait to see what you've got for Valentine's Day.

Reaction Score
You guys can stop with the we need to move on from Alterique and we need to bring in another point guard next year nonsense. We aren't getting any legit point guard for next season and the last thing we need to do is fill the roster up with more players who don't belong here.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we have to plan for injuries given our recent history. I think it all goes back to the eye test. Our players don't have the muscle that the men we play against do.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
With the season just about a bust. I have mixed emotions about how I want this game to go. Would love to see this young team fight their hearts out and beat a top 10 team. But on the other hand Houston remaining a top ten team looks good not only for them. But for the conference as well.

Reaction Score
With the season just about a bust. I have mixed emotions about how I want this game to go. Would love to see this young team fight their hearts out and beat a top 10 team. But on the other hand Houston remaining a top ten team looks good not only for them. But for the conference as well.
You might as well turn in your fan card.

A lot of crazy takes in this thread.

Reaction Score

Earlier this year I opined that Alterique was on the verge of being a great guard: he was hitting 43% from 3-pt land, was the second leading scorer and playing solid, only needing to cut down on his turnovers.

UcannUconn's post about 3 more years made me realize that no one has posted the following reality: in the fall, AG will be a senior academically. I don't know if he'll have a sufficient number of credits to graduate, but if he has a good season next year, he may very well go pro. From basketball freshman this year to graduating senior next year...very possible.

Reaction Score
So you’re saying you’d be comfortable with the following back court:

- Gaffney (bright future but hasn’t played a minute of college ball)
- Bouknight (same reasoning as Gaffney)
- Vital (love him but not a ball handler)
- BAdams (as unproven as they come)

If Gilbert gets hurt and those are our four guards, that’s calling for a losing record. MUST plan as if we won’t have Gilbert. And if he stays healthy, great.
So stop on prescious.....

Reaction Score
I think the doctor, who did the surgery, should examine him. As much as Calhoun loves UConn Health, when he had his latest cancer scare he went to Yale New Haven. Gilbert needs to see his surgeon.
Great now chief is questioning or medical program:oops:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
People on this board making it seem like this is Phi Slamma Jamma we are playing. Houston is a good team with half their team either jucos or transfers. Sampson doesn’t grind in recruiting like Hurley about too. Not saying we are going to win but this Houston team has only played a couple road games and have only beaten two ranked teams all year cincy and LSU and one of those teams isn’t ranked anymore. I think we play hard and make them work for this one tough travel from Houston to Hartford. Boneyard have some pride.
The Houston Monstars. Hurleys got the secret stuff.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we have to plan for injuries given our recent history. I think it all goes back to the eye test. Our players don't have the muscle that the men we play against do.

Yeah, but it's too late in the year. So it's grad transfer or nothing. Or need I remind, we are down one scholarship from sanctions, and we still desperately need a big.

Screw this move on from AG talk anyway.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about its impact on this season because, as you note, we aren't going anywhere. I am increasingly concerned that Gilbert is not ever going to fine again though if this is result any time he gets hit in the shoulder. My stay at the Holiday Inn Express a few weeks ago tells me that this is not normal, and makes me think it never will be normal again, which really sucks for both and AG and the team--a major setback in the rebuild plan imo.
I get it this, but I really feel that they are just babying him, looking towards the rebuild. I think he'd be playing if the season wasn't a wash, but who knows.

Reaction Score
So stop on prescious.....

Several top guys on here have said there will be more than one opening for next season. There’s no scenario in which I’d say we should back off on Precious.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
So you’re saying you’d be comfortable with the following back court:

- Gaffney (bright future but hasn’t played a minute of college ball)
- Bouknight (same reasoning as Gaffney)
- Vital (love him but not a ball handler)
- BAdams (as unproven as they come)

If Gilbert gets hurt and those are our four guards, that’s calling for a losing record. MUST plan as if we won’t have Gilbert. And if he stays healthy, great.
Gaffney and Bouknight, one of these two will be an immediate impact player.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Earlier this year I opined that Alterique was on the verge of being a great guard: he was hitting 43% from 3-pt land, was the second leading scorer and playing solid, only needing to cut down on his turnovers.

UcannUconn's post about 3 more years made me realize that no one has posted the following reality: in the fall, AG will be a senior academically. I don't know if he'll have a sufficient number of credits to graduate, but if he has a good season next year, he may very well go pro. From basketball freshman this year to graduating senior next year...very possible.
If he has a good enough season next year to go pro I would take that in a heart beat.....

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A few things
1 doesn't everyone keep forgetting about the season ending injury and surgery he had in high school?
2 We need another big way more than a 6th guard.
3 The structure has appeared fixed since the last operation. Even with this injury, that is good news. Have patience. You can always freak out later.
4 AG is a sophomore eligibility-wise
5 Watch out for those saying "I love Alterique... BUT

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it will be easy to recruit a 6th guard. But it is necessary and would be more than worth it if Gilbert misses time.
Isn't this where coach Hunter's son Jaylen (spelling?) at East Catholic High could save the day. He is a point guard...correct? And wouldn't use up a scholarship.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This may come down to whatever he gives UConn is a win from now on. I want him to prosper and have a great career here but UConn can't count on that, sadly.
B. Adams needs to work on his ball handling.

Reaction Score
Several top guys on here have said there will be more than one opening for next season. There’s no scenario in which I’d say we should back off on Precious.
I should have used proper punctuation with a question mark. Because as of right now that is the last scholarship

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom