Alterique unlikely vs. Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique unlikely vs. Houston

Reaction Score
@8893 The injury isn't a structural injury though. It's basically like if a pitcher has Tommy John, and then during their comeback year hyperextend their elbow. It's scary as hell in the moment, and probably causes some legit soreness, but it's not a dislocation or torn labrum, so I'm not sure I see what there is to fear.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
The way this is being handled by the staff seems shoddy at best.

C

Chief00

Yup. After he missed the Memphis game and the temple game- they’ll be no reason at all to bring him back against a physical Houston -team plus we got a week off in between- like I said before - he comes back next Thursday- that’s the most logical scenario. If he’s not back by next Thursday, I don’t know what to say. You can’t hold him out for the rest of the year because then his whole year ends on a sour note and he’s pretty much right back to square one again next fall - it’s a must for him to get some games in before this year is over for his physical and mental well being.
Shut him down for the year.

Reaction Score
Shut him down for the year.
Respectfully disagree Chief. AG hasn't played even close to a full season of basketball since high school. Can't keep shutting him down and starting him back up as a precaution forever. If he's hurt enough to be shut down this year what's the use in keeping him for next year if he has to start all over again building chemistry, etc? Let the kid play when and if he's healthy enough this year and make alternate plans for next year assuming he's hurt again.

He's been effectively shut down anyways the last few years and it did nothing to prevent further injury at all.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Day to day can mean weeks. It's basically how the kid feels.
Hurley probably had the trainer then the doc tell him it's a day-to-day situation. AG has decided it is not, based on how he felt when it happened,, his history, and how he feels now. Hurley probably can't tell us there is no new structural damage, but if there was he would have been shut down already.

Reaction Score
“PA Husky” couldn’t have said it better myself. This does seem more like a mental thing with AG than physical(just assuming) He’ s been my favorite husky by far the past few years. I feel for the kid I really do but if you shut him down for the rest of the year it’s going to linger in his head for the entire off-season and it’s a very long off-season. If it’s Physical , then somethings wrong and that’s not good... - either way shutting him down for the year is pointless unless there’s structural damage(to which we were told there is none) He’s been thru a lot. Gotta be mostly mental. Shutting him down for a physical reason is pointless because this cud happen again anytime next year. Let’s go AG!! We need u. I Can’t watch Tarin Smith running the point anymore.

Reaction Score
Still scared? Of what? I am genuinely curious how anyone works up any emotion whatsoever about the current state of affairs.
Because I love Alterique Gilbert and UConn basketball. Word is Alterique has been okay but this isn't normal and we have fans saying he shouldn't play the rest of the season. He's played about 3/4 of a season of basketball in 3 years at UConn, it's bad for him and bad for UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to relax. That shoulder injury could have ended his career, it’s clear it was not that type of injury. He will be back on the court, and probably for the next game after Houston.

It’s clear he is slowly making progress. First by shooting during practices, then even participating in warmups for the games, and now participating in practice. The next step is for him to start participating in full practices, which will probably start after the Houston games based on the way he has been recovering.

He will then have a week before the next game. I’m just very thankful he doesn’t need another surgery and there is no indication of the x-rays or MRIs showing anything serious.

Just need to be patient for the next week.

Reaction Score
So you want a 6 guard roster in case Gilbert gets hurt again? Who are we going to get that wants to sit behind 5 other guards or at the least compete against? We will have Gilbert, B. Adams, Vital, Bouknight, and Gaffney.

So you’re saying you’d be comfortable with the following back court:

- Gaffney (bright future but hasn’t played a minute of college ball)
- Bouknight (same reasoning as Gaffney)
- Vital (love him but not a ball handler)
- BAdams (as unproven as they come)

If Gilbert gets hurt and those are our four guards, that’s calling for a losing record. MUST plan as if we won’t have Gilbert. And if he stays healthy, great.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 The injury isn't a structural injury though. It's basically like if a pitcher has Tommy John, and then during their comeback year hyperextend their elbow. It's scary as hell in the moment, and probably causes some legit soreness, but it's not a dislocation or torn labrum, so I'm not sure I see what there is to fear.
I fear because I don’t trust words any more. I go by what I am seeing, or in this case not seeing. The words haven’t matched the actions so I am trusting the words less and and less. No one here knows the truth, period.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

Hasn’t practiced enough? It’s 3/4 of the way through the season. He’s had plenty of practice time. I’m sure he is in good enough shape to give us 20 minutes. There must be more to this injury then has be publicly released.

Reaction Score
I doubt it’s in his head. My guess is if he felt like he could play and contribute he’d be on the court. Hopefully it’s just real tender which is limiting his mobility. Kind of like a high ankle sprain. You think a player would be back in a week and he ends up being out for a month or more.
I was excited when he committed and I thought his talent level would equate to him being selected to a a first team all conference either his junior and or senior year with a possibility of a sniffing to a All American team. If shelving him the rest of the year is the final decision by the staff so he gets fully healed then I’m okay with that. He’s that good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hasn’t practiced enough? It’s 3/4 of the way through the season. He’s had plenty of practice time. I’m sure he is in good enough shape to give us 20 minutes. There must be more to this injury then has be publicly released.
I worry about this but didn't his doctor say that everything was structurally sound?

Reaction Score
People on this board making it seem like this is Phi Slamma Jamma we are playing. Houston is a good team with half their team either jucos or transfers. Sampson doesn’t grind in recruiting like Hurley about too. Not saying we are going to win but this Houston team has only played a couple road games and have only beaten two ranked teams all year cincy and LSU and one of those teams isn’t ranked anymore. I think we play hard and make them work for this one tough travel from Houston to Hartford. Boneyard have some pride.

There isn’t one scary team in our conference. I agree with you that we will play hard and keep it close but I have the inevitable feeling that we will still lose. And I’m really tired of these moral victories this season though they feel better than the blowout losses of last season. It would be nice to even get lucky one time. Our luck sucks.

Reaction Score
A kid with two season ending shoulder surgeries vs. one with no injury history. Perfect base of comparison.
Then don’t come out like a fool and give info that is not correct.....play the belicheck card and don’t say anything

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Still scared? Of what? I am genuinely curious how anyone works up any emotion whatsoever about the current state of affairs.
I regularly dislike what you post, and I agree with you.
He's not playing tomorrow.
So what?
If it turns out to be longer term bad news, I'll deal with it then. I see no value in getting a jump on it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'll take some more playing time and experience for Polley and Syd at this point, particularly Syd.

This season is a wash anyways until we get into the conference tournament, which I'm confident Gilbert will be back in full form by then.

Let Syd loose!!
I think he prefers Sydnei.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom