Alterique unlikely vs. Houston | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alterique unlikely vs. Houston

Reaction Score
Had a dream last night that AG re-injured his shoulder again. Like after this injury. Might not be a sign, but it might be too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to relax. That shoulder injury could have ended his career, it’s clear it was not that type of injury. He will be back on the court, and probably for the next game after Houston.

It’s clear he is slowly making progress. First by shooting during practices, then even participating in warmups for the games, and now participating in practice. The next step is for him to start participating in full practices, which will probably start after the Houston games based on the way he has been recovering.

He will then have a week before the next game. I’m just very thankful he doesn’t need another surgery and there is no indication of the x-rays or MRIs showing anything serious.

Just need to be patient for the next week.
Even if the worried/scared/doubting people turn out to have their bad dreams come true, this is the only post that gives sound guidance for today.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if this injury is related to his past shoulder problems? I've seen different people indicate different answers to that question.

Reaction Score
Even if the worried/scared/doubting people turn out to have their bad dreams come true, this is the only post that gives sound guidance for today.
I said I was scared after Hurley basically said it was nothing in the press conference after the game. That will be 3 weeks ago after this Houston game he misses tomorrow, this isn't exactly normal.

Reaction Score
He plays when he's ready. And I'm fairly certain Hurley wants to recruit the best player at every position that fits his system. And tonight is likely to be a gut punch but we throw down and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Assuming he is cleared, he should just play. I don’t see the point in shutting him down for the third year in a row. What are the odds that he “makes it worse” by playing? And if he does, you have the whole season to recover - in other words, no worse off. But more importantly, he needs time on the court and time to gel with his future teammates. He doesn’t need another first half on next season “shaking off the rust”.

Reaction Score
He plays when he's ready. And I'm fairly certain Hurley wants to recruit the best player at every position that fits his system. And tonight is likely to be a gut punch but we thrown down and see what happens.
We don't play tonight.

C

Chief00

I worry about this but didn't his doctor say that everything was structurally sound?
I think the doctor, who did the surgery, should examine him. As much as Calhoun loves UConn Health, when he had his latest cancer scare he went to Yale New Haven. Gilbert needs to see his surgeon.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the doctor, who did the surgery, should examine him. As much as Calhoun loves UConn Health, when he had his latest cancer scare he went to Yale New Haven. Gilbert needs to see his surgeon.

I'm sure he's seen the imaging.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Gotta be honest, I know it’s not his fault but I’m getting a little frustrated. The poor kid is always hurt. It’s not going to do us any good to revolve an offense around him if he never plays. We must recruit over him. If he stays healthy, great, I love the kid. But if his injury history is any indicator, we need backup options.
I love the kid also. But you are right. Time to face reality. I posted something similar in Chiefs Briefs.

Reaction Score
I love the kid also. But you are right. Time to face reality. I posted something similar in Chiefs Briefs.

Yeah and like I said, if he stays healthy that’s great. But at this point, we have to plan as if he won’t be available.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Glad to take a look if he can find his way to NH;)

Seriously, any shoulder like this, that has already had 3 stability operations, the last a salvage procedure, is at risk. Not a good sign that he has been out this long after the most recent jolt. But it is a good sign that he’s back practicing. Give him every chance to return, but don’t rush him. It’s a subtle balance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Seriously, any shoulder like this, that has already had 3 stability operations, the last a salvage procedure, is at risk. Not a good sign that he has been out this long after the most recent jolt. But it is a good sign that he’s back practicing. Give him every chance to return, but don’t rush him. It’s a subtle balance.
Thanks, doc. I trust these words.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
People on this board making it seem like this is Phi Slamma Jamma we are playing. Houston is a good team with half their team either jucos or transfers. Sampson doesn’t grind in recruiting like Hurley about too. Not saying we are going to win but this Houston team has only played a couple road games and have only beaten two ranked teams all year cincy and LSU and one of those teams isn’t ranked anymore. I think we play hard and make them work for this one tough travel from Houston to Hartford. Boneyard have some pride.

Have you seen them play?
They are bigger, stronger and faster in most every position vs UConn
Sampson doesn’t grind in recruiting like Hurley about too
Lets talk after DH gets some quality bigs and has the success that Sampson has had at UH

Not saying that UConn won't be where UH is right now but it starts with getting physical guys and I don't see any wearing a UConn uniform now and not much of that type coming in - yet......

Reaction Score
Besides with
“PA Husky” couldn’t have said it better myself. This does seem more like a mental thing with AG than physical(just assuming) He’ s been my favorite husky by far the past few years. I feel for the kid I really do but if you shut him down for the rest of the year it’s going to linger in his head for the entire off-season and it’s a very long off-season. If it’s Physical , then somethings wrong and that’s not good... - either way shutting him down for the year is pointless unless there’s structural damage(to which we were told there is none) He’s been thru a lot. Gotta be mostly mental. Shutting him down for a physical reason is pointless because this cud happen again anytime next year. Let’s go AG!! We need u. I Can’t watch Tarin Smith running the point anymore.
With adams out we get some dress rehearsal for next year as well.

C

Chief00

Have you seen them play?
They are bigger, stronger and faster in most every position vs UConn
Sampson doesn’t grind in recruiting like Hurley about too
Lets talk after Dan Hurley gets some quality bigs and has the success that Sampson has had at UH

Not saying that UConn won't be where UH is right now but it starts with getting physical guys and I don't see any wearing a UConn uniform now and not much of that type coming in - yet.

There are so many great athletes in the huge Houston area. Additionally, since TX has a strong football culture, the weight training in HS is exceptional.

Reaction Score
There isn’t one scary team in our conference. I agree with you that we will play hard and keep it close but I have the inevitable feeling that we will still lose. And I’m really tired of these moral victories this season though they feel better than the blowout losses of last season. It would be nice to even get lucky one time. Our luck sucks.
Hurley was supposed to end this feeling and more 20 point losses. I say this in jest and because I need to whine, but as much as “ dollar oysters”(great line by the way sorry to plagiarize) kept KO distracted, I always felt injuries have been the greatest downfall of our program if not a major root cause. I’ve been saying the last few weeks, when was the last time we had a full roster physically game ready? Something magical was sucked out of us in our run to the 2015 tournament when boatright turned his ankle. We were in that game and he was just heating up (as we do in tourney play) and leading us to a possible upset and SMU dodged a bullet. Since that injury it has been non stop. I know it’s part of the game but it seems so rampant. I’m a Giants fan too and the same bodes for them this past 5 years or so. During big stretches it was purvis or adams or facey or Enoch or yakwe or Durham or Gilbert or diarra or larrier. Guys left as much for disdain of the coach as they did for the reality that PT would drop,significantly ,particularly jackson for terry. 3 consecutive sub .500 seasons. Injuries. Mainly a huge snake bite.

Reaction Score
I said I was scared after Hurley basically said it was nothing in the press conference after the game. That will be 3 weeks ago after this Houston game he misses tomorrow, this isn't exactly normal.
.... or nothing.

Reaction Score

Point on. I want him back as much as everyone else but you gotta let him heal.
That collision wasn’t your typical guard being led into a pick and fighting through it after first contact. That was like a Prius running into a tank at 70mph. Whether you had a previous shoulder injury or not anyone his size could get hurt after a collision like that.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Had a dream last night that AG re-injured his shoulder again. Like after this injury. Might not be a sign, but it might be too.

Had a dream last night we won 17 games in a row to end the season and bring home #5. Might not be a sign, but it might be too.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The way this is being handled by the staff seems shoddy at best.

“I probably underplayed how long it would take for him to get back from it,” said Hurley. “That night (Jan. 26), I don’t think I had information, and I definitely should not have played doctor.”

Lesson learned now I doubt he was being trying to decieve anyone.
So you’re saying you’d be comfortable with the following back court:

- Gaffney (bright future but hasn’t played a minute of college ball)
- Bouknight (same reasoning as Gaffney)
- Vital (love him but not a ball handler)
- BAdams (as unproven as they come)

If Gilbert gets hurt and those are our four guards, that’s calling for a losing record. MUST plan as if we won’t have Gilbert. And if he stays healthy, great.

Again, what guard is going to sign on as a 6th guard? A freshman will be again a freshman as you mentioned about Gaff and Bouk. A grad student won’t come here as a 6th guard. We have 5 guards and will role with a freshman if Gilbert gets hurt. It happens.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You may be right. I'm just more inclined to reserve judgment about him not playing in a game that was being predicted as a massacre before this announcement. We're both not happy about it, and no sense quibbling about differing emotional responses.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Hurley loses some credibility here. Said day to day and this is several games....the kid at duke looked like he hurt his shoulder much worse and was back in half the time.

He didn’t specify how many days. Nor should he considering, well, it’s not his shoulder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom