Alterique transferring (again)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
CookedImperturbableGallinule-size_restricted.gif
Carl Krauser?

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan played in Europe.
Key word is PLAYED, and Phil Nolan from the NATIONAL CHAMPION UCONN HUSKIES would actually sound good to some of the lower tier European teams like the one he played for out of Denmark. But thanks for proving my point LOL

Reaction Score
Tyler Olander played in Europe until he broke his foot.
It’s funny because Quincy McKnight who played at Seton Hall and is from my side of town in BPT he lives right around the corner from me and we were literally just talking about dudes going overseas the other day and dudes finding out that it’s not easy AT ALL and not for everyone.

Reaction Score
It’s funny because Quincy McKnight who played at Seton Hall and is from my side of town in BPT he lives right around the corner from me and we were literally just talking about dudes going overseas the other day and dudes finding out that it’s not easy AT ALL and not for everyone.

It's certainly a grind over there from what people say. Tbh if you're not gonna be one of the guys making deep 6 figures or better, it might just not be worth it.

The problem is that some of these players are really not smart enough or well-connected enough to do anything but sports.

Not gonna name some names obviously. But we have graduated some really, really intelligent guys, and others that are close to illiterate. Sad but true.

If all you are is a baller, sometimes you gotta make the best decision for your life and go make the money even if it sucks.

Reaction Score
It's certainly a grind over there from what people say. Tbh if you're not gonna be one of the guys making deep 6 figures or better, it might just not be worth it.

The problem is that some of these players are really not smart enough or well-connected enough to do anything but sports.

Not gonna name some names obviously. But we have graduated some really, really intelligent guys, and others that are close to illiterate. Sad but true.

If all you are is a baller, sometimes you gotta make the best decision for your life and go make the money even if it sucks.
Sad but true my boy

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
When y’all suggest or think that a certain player can or should go play overseas or in Europe it tells me that y’all aren’t really knowledgeable on how playing overseas or in Europe actually works and what it entails. Y’all make it sound so easy when actually it’s quite the opposite.
Tell me about all the easy jobs there are out there that are are in the 6 figures that are available without connections or real hard work. No question AG has character and is not afraid of hard work or any other challenge. College and party life does end in the real world. We've seen in sports what happens when people can't adjust to life after college and think life is one big party/joy ride. I knew someone from Uconn who spent at least 6 years in Europe playing and making more than $200 k a year back in the 80's. That's more than a million $ in six years. Said the pay and fans were great and helped get him set up for life. He took advantage of opportunities when he chose Uconn and continued doing so in life after college.

If you want your dreams to come true it is necessary to wake up.

Reaction Score
Depends on
I don’t know. If I had a chance for a normal year in college where people can function without quarantines or a mask and have fans in the seats for games that would be appealing. Why not live the college hoops dream for another year.
Depends on what he wants to do. He was already a grad transfer. He may have to sit out under the new rules.

he is in the portal, but I would be surprised if he plays hoops again in college. 5 years is a long time. This would be his 6th year.

he played in the McDonald’s game with Tatum, futz, d’aron Fox, josh Jackson and others.

I look at AG and think that he is more of an adult right now than a young adult college kid.

Reaction Score
Tell me about all the easy jobs there are out there that are are in the 6 figures that are available without connections or real hard work. No question AG has character and is not afraid of hard work or any other challenge. College and party life does end in the real world. We've seen in sports what happens when people can't adjust to life after college and think life is one big party/joy ride. I knew someone from Uconn who spent at least 6 years in Europe playing and making more than $200 k a year back in the 80's. That's more than a million $ in six years. Said the pay and fans were great and helped get him set up for life. He took advantage of opportunities when he chose Uconn and continued doing so in life after college.

If you want your dreams to come true it is necessary to wake up.
That was the 80s they wanted all the American players they could get. Now the talent level in Europe is much better and the pay isn't as lucrative for every American ball player. Some might only make 60 - 75k and that's nothing when they have a family to take care of back home and are away from their family for 6 months its not as glamorous as people think

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wish we'd seen an uninjured freshman. I feel like his trajectory might have been quite a bit different.
Maybe, but he didn't play team ball when he was playing lousy.

Reaction Score
Depends on

Depends on what he wants to do. He was already a grad transfer. He may have to sit out under the new rules.

he is in the portal, but I would be surprised if he plays hoops again in college. 5 years is a long time. This would be his 6th year.

he played in the McDonald’s game with Tatum, futz, d’aron Fox, josh Jackson and others.

I look at AG and think that he is more of an adult right now than a young adult college kid.
Look at this through career games played rather than the number of candles on his birthday cake and it's pretty easy to see why AG would want to come back for another year of college basketball:

Christian Vital: 127
Josh Carlton (with another season to come): 115
Tyler Polley (even with a torn ACL, and another season to come): 102
Alterique Gilbert: 86

And those are guys who didn't even play a ton of postseason games -- quick look and Giffey played 139(!) career games for UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe, but he didn't play team ball when he was playing lousy.
It's a fine line between trying to make plays and being a ball hog. On a team with limited scoring options, AG (and CV) tried to put in in the hole. It was frustrating, but I understand where they were coming from.

FWIW, AG was a talented kid. If healthy and on a well coached team with balanced scoring, he may have developed differently. (Think Calhoun and Taliek.)

Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be lots of suiters for Al. From all we've heard and seen, he's a great teammate who works incredibly hard. What's not to like?? He had some bad luck with injuries throughout his career. I don't think he goes to the NBA or even overseas to play but another year of education and exposure to a different group of people who can help him figure what the next step is a great thing imo. He's taking advantage of his situation.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be lots of suiters for Al. From all we've heard and seen, he's a great teammate who works incredibly hard. What's not to like?? He had some bad luck with injuries throughout his career. I don't think he goes to the NBA or even overseas to play but another year of education and exposure to a different group of people who can help him figure what the next step is a great thing imo. He's taking advantage of his situation.

NBA, no.

But he will play hoops for money somewhere (if he wants to).

Reaction Score
Look at this through career games played rather than the number of candles on his birthday cake and it's pretty easy to see why AG would want to come back for another year of college basketball:

Christian Vital: 127
Josh Carlton (with another season to come): 115
Tyler Polley (even with a torn ACL, and another season to come): 102
Alterique Gilbert: 86

And those are guys who didn't even play a ton of postseason games -- quick look and Giffey played 139(!) career games for UConn.
I don't disagree. But think of it like him. 24 hanging with a bunch of 18-19 years old? He might want to get his life going. You really want to be under the thumb of a coach at that age? I would have went nuts. I was a professional and had my own rent and got married at 24. All his peers and friends are kind of in the world as adults.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan played in Europe.
European professional sports are tiered
BB is much like soccer where you have
The Premier league or the top league
Plus lower leagues . Top league games in England are on TV .
Plus playing for the top league in Spain or Italy is not equivalent to the top league in Finland. Each country values BB at a different level and compensation varies
Playing professionally in US other than baseball Where playing for Bingington is not equivalent to playing for the Yankees. Both professional both in the US. One rides a bus the other Charters a plane. For one meal money on the road might exceed the salary of the other.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree. But think of it like him. 24 hanging with a bunch of 18-19 years old? He might want to get his life going. You really want to be under the thumb of a coach at that age? I would have went nuts. I was a professional and had my own rent and got married at 24. All his peers and friends are kind of in the world as adults.
Valid points, but many non athletes take 5 years to graduate...maybe longer if they switch majors or schools.

If he can get a graduate degree for free....why not. Most people are not married @24. At least not in the northeast...some of my most fun times were 20's and early 30's being single with $$.

Reaction Score
Highly rated in high school, successfully recruited by Kevin Ollie, undersized, career. 378 2-pt FG % ...perfect replacement for Akinjo. Plus, Arizona has a new Head Coach!

Now that's out of the way, I'll acknowledge that I was as excited by his highlight reels as any I've ever seen on the Boneyard, and do wish him the best.
Is Akinjo gone?
I try not to think about U of A
I took some extensions* classes at ASU in Spanish a prerequisite for all ASU students is hatred for U of A .
and trying to ignore they’re existence.
* We had an on site ASU extension at our community center.

Reaction Score
He doesn
I’m not sure why he’d play in college another year. It’s not like he’s going to grow 6 inches and get drafted. At the same time, it is a lot of fun being a college basketball player. Probably a lot more fun than playing pro in Europe.
He's working on his doctorate ? and why not have someone else pay. Lol

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Will he be eligible to play immediately, or will he have to sit a year? I've lost track.

Reaction Score
European professional sports are tiered
BB is much like soccer where you have
The Premier league or the top league
Plus lower leagues . Top league games in England are on TV .
Plus playing for the top league in Spain or Italy is not equivalent to the top league in Finland. Each country values BB at a different level and compensation varies
Playing professionally in US other than baseball Where playing for Bingington is not equivalent to playing for the Yankees. Both professional both in the US. One rides a bus the other Charters a plane. For one meal money on the road might exceed the salary of the other.

Yeah, no kidding. I was responding to the post about how hard it is to play overseas. The reality is that if you're a D1 basketball player - and not even a particularly good one - you can play overseas. It won't be for Real Madrid but you can play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom