Alterique Training | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Alterique Training

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Alterique looked like he was carrying a brick on his shoulder the first 4 games last year. Played well to start the year while still not looking right. Can't wait to see what another year of maturity and supposed full health will do to his game.

Friendly reminder that less than a year ago we were 4-0 and down by 1 at the half to the #4 team in the country before Alterique's injury.

Reaction Score
Alterique looked like he was carrying a brick on his shoulder the first 4 games last year. Played well to start the year while still not looking right. Can't wait to see what another year of maturity and supposed full health will do to his game.

Friendly reminder that less than a year ago we were 4-0 and down by 1 at the half to the #4 team in the country before Alterique's injury.

I just watched that first half again, keeping an eye on Alterique. Lots of touches, really integral to the offense, but I guess everyone knows that. It was a different team with him on the floor. Only player driving to the hoop whether in transition or set offense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's a good way to put it. Once there was that brace kerfuffle--'waiting at the last minute for a stronger brace'--at the beginning of the year, I knew we were on borrowed time.

Reaction Score
But think about it this way, he helps us beat Oregon when he has one shoulder not working well. If he’s truly fixed now we got a new 5 star recruit. Wishin’ and hopin’.

Reaction Score
But think about it this way, he helps us beat Oregon when he has one shoulder not working well. If he’s truly fixed now we got a new 5 star recruit. Wishin’ and hopin’.
IF

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
There is no if here. He's solid. You can count on it.
Have you seen his shoulder hold up in full pace division 1 basketball yet? Of course it's still an "if".

Putting up shots and playing pickup with the team is one thing.
Playing a competitive division 1 basketball game 30 times over is another thing.

Why are people on here in denial about Alterique's shoulder being a huge question mark? Lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have you seen his shoulder hold up in full pace division 1 basketball yet? Of course it's still an "if".

Putting up shots and playing pickup with the team is one thing.
Playing a competitive division 1 basketball game 30 times over is another thing.

Why are people on here in denial about Alterique's shoulder being a huge question mark? Lol

Because he finally had a different surgery with a world renowned surgeon that would correct the problem and prevent it from reoccurring. Dr. Hoop said it's 95% successful. Alterique Gilbert Update

From what I've read about the Latarjet procedure as performed by somebody like Dr. Provencher the fact that Gilbert now is at the point that he's playing basketball, suggests that it was successful and he was able to heal and strengthen the shoulder. There isn't really any difference, to his shoulder, between a pick up game and a competitive one. Reports are that his shooting motion is more fluid now than it ever was after his initial HS injury.

Reaction Score
There isn't really any difference, to his shoulder, between a pick up game and a competitive one. Reports are that his shooting motion is more fluid now than it ever was after his initial HS injury.

Look, I hope you're right about the recovery, but.... WHAT? If you think shoulders are only used for shooting then I have to wonder if you've ever played the game.

Reaction Score
Look, I hope you're right about the recovery, but.... WHAT? If you think shoulders are only used for shooting then I have to wonder if you've ever played the game.

Agreed. D1 players are cranking on shoulders in the post, knocking you on drives, diving to the floor, etc.

Much more taxing on a shoulder than practice.

Reaction Score
Agreed. D1 players are cranking on shoulders in the post, knocking you on drives, diving to the floor, etc.

Much more taxing on a shoulder than practice.

Exactly how he injured himself last year. The comparison of any level of college basketball to a pick-up game is beyond ridiculous. I've played with D2-D3 guys who were incredible, forget about the combination of speed, strength, and skills needed to compete at a high major D1 program. Just a really strange comment.

C

Chief00

Exactly how he injured himself last year. The comparison of any level of college basketball to a pick-up game is beyond ridiculous. I've played with D2-D3 guys who were incredible, forget about the combination of speed, strength, and skills needed to compete at a high major D1 program. Just a really strange comment.
Chief always thought the risk of injury was less playing with great players than casual pick-up games with uncoordinated dudes. Just my take and experience.

Reaction Score
The amount of contact in the lane during a real game versus pick up is night and day. You almost have to on the court to see it, but it's brutal in there.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You can’t just say that, his teammates and coaches have stunk. He’s already been on a successful team (2016), and he’s the best player in this league. You can’t fault him for having injured, bad teammates and coaches.
I'm hoping that Hurley, through the S &C coach, challenges his physical strength and stamina. He needs to be stronger to excel at this level and the next. I'm pretty confident we will see this change and it will bring impressive results. I think this will be seen across the board to varying degrees with all our returning players. It will be imperative to play in Hurley's style of play. We have waited for years for more of an aggressive style of play and I believe, regardless of how far this team goes W-L wise, opponents will know that they were in a fight.

Reaction Score
Chief always thought the risk of injury was less playing with great players than casual pick-up games with uncoordinated dudes. Just my take and experience.
#CasualFan take. I'll coach you up.

C

Chief00

#CasualFan take. I'll coach you up.
Actually not exactly - it’s based on many years of personal experience. The guys you are most likely to get injury against are uncoordinated guys who don’t know how to play. In my playing days - games with elite players while tough, intense and competitive were much cleaner.

Reaction Score
Actually not exactly - it’s based on many years of personal experience. The guys you are most likely to get injury against are uncoordinated guys who don’t know how to play. In my playing days - games with elite players while toug, intense and competitive were much cleaner.
Tell us more about your actual Division 1 playing experience. :rolleyes:

Descriptive Epidemiology of Collegiate Men's Basketball Injuries: National Collegiate Athletic Association Injury Surveillance System, 1988–1989 Through 2003–2004

Guys don't go as hard in pick-up games/practice as they do in real games. Don't worry, I'll coach you up.

C

Chief00

Tell us more about your actual Division 1 playing experience. :rolleyes:

Descriptive Epidemiology of Collegiate Men's Basketball Injuries: National Collegiate Athletic Association Injury Surveillance System, 1988–1989 Through 2003–2004

Guys don't go as hard in pick-up games/practice as they do in real games. Don't worry, I'll coach you up.

Thanks but that study doesn’t refute what Chief said. It is measuring the same legit players playing in practices and games. What I was referring to wasn’t the difference between practice and games, but playing with good athletes vs uncoordinated bad ones. I feel it’s much less a risk of injury playing against good players.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks but that study doesn’t refute what Chief said. It is measuring the same legit players playing in practices and games. What I was referring to wasn’t the difference between practice and games, but playing with good athletes vs uncoordinated bad ones. I feel it’s much less a risk of injury playing against good players.

That's accurate. I also feel that, in contact sports, injuries occur more easily when you aren't going 100%. There's something about bracing properly for big hits, staying strong through your movements, and tackling/hitting with force that keeps one from injuring oneself. Also, the adrenaline involved with competitive game action makes the body 'stronger' so to speak. I've no idea if this all applies to basketball however.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd like to see him brought along slowly for the first 10 games, even if he insists he's 100%. Getting greedy and losing him early in the season to any injury while he's adjusting to game speed would be a disaster. But I'm not the Coach and Hurley has to use his judgement here. Great to have him back either way.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd like to see him brought along slowly for the first 10 games, even if he insists he's 100%. Getting greedy and losing him early in the season to any injury while he's adjusting to game speed would be a disaster. But I'm not the Coach and Hurley has to use his judgement here. Great to have him back either way.

While I agree in principle, given our annual unbalanced schedule, we really have to show in our first 10-15 games. I'm of the opinion he's going to be right in the full minute mix.

Reaction Score
Guys aren’t giving up their bodies diving to the floor and taking charges in pick up games. Much less contact in pick-up games than major D1 basketball games. It’s night and day. So again, you’re wrong. But don’t worry, I’ll coach you up.

That's accurate. I also feel that, in contact sports, injuries occur more easily when you aren't going 100%. There's something about bracing properly for big hits, staying strong through your movements, and tackling/hitting with force that keeps one from injuring oneself. Also, the adrenaline involved with competitive game action makes the body 'stronger' so to speak. I've no idea if this all applies to basketball however.
In the context of the post I replied to, it doesn’t apply. D1 basketball is exponentially more physical than a pickup game. Regardless of the talent on the court.

C

Chief00

Guys aren’t giving up their bodies diving to the floor and taking charges in pick up games. Much less contact in pick-up games than major D1 basketball games. It’s night and day. So again, you’re wrong. But don’t worry, I’ll coach you up.

In the context of the post I replied to, it doesn’t apply. D1 basketball is exponentially more physical than a pickup game. Regardless of the talent on the court.

D1 is more physical but that doesn’t mean the risk of injury is higher. If you play against poor athletes that’s when the injury exposure is the highest. There’s more grabbing because they can’t keep up with you. Because they don’t jump well they are more likely to low bridge you and that’s very dangerous. Good athletes can avoid contact, bad ones are uncoordinated and create contact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom