Alterique Training | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique Training

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: AG is way better than Adams when fully healthy. Which is scary because Adams has the potential to be AAC POY.
I'm glad my browser crashed while I was wasting my time writing a lengthy rebuttal. Simply put, you have built too great a portfolio of dubious claims to have much credibility whether this is the first, second, or third time you are claiming "way better."

If he's a healthy lily, he needs no gilding.

I can't fathom what purpose you imagine your post serves.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: AG is way better than Adams when fully healthy. Which is scary because Adams has the potential to be AAC POY.
I don't know what "way" means when used in this sense
Kids used to use that all the time in the 70s and 80s and it ran the gamut
JA and AG are not the same players and if AG turns out to be better than JA (with JA putting up his usual) in pts and assists he will be 1st team AA - I'd love to see it but I withhold any enthusiasm until I see him play
He deserves to be really good again

Reaction Score

Thats just a really silly statement. Jalen has been first and second team all aac and Alterique has played like 10 college games. I think Alterique will be a very good player, but he isnt conference player of the year status. Could he be in a year or two, certainly.

Reaction Score
Thats just a really silly statement. Jalen has been first and second team all aac and Alterique has played like 10 college games. I think Alterique will be a very good player, but he isnt conference player of the year status. Could he be in a year or two, certainly.

I don't think the fact that he's only played 10 games has anything to do with how good AG is or can be. He is an elite defender (something that JA is not). He may not score as many points as JA, but at the end of the day he may have a higher +/- than Adams. He totally disrupts ball handlers on the defensive end, something which we have not seen since Boatright and Shabazz in the 2014 run in March. You cannot underestimate how much that impacts the outcome of games. As soon as he went down last year our defense dropped off a cliff.

Reaction Score
Maybe his shoulder hurt

The shoulder was supposed to have been fine at the start of last year. Hopefully this shows the new approach has provided some improvement

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Was the one motion shot once called a "set shot"?

Set shot is when your feet don't leave the ground. Jump shot is when ya jump.

One-motion shooters (think Steph or Harden) definitely don't jump as much, because they are using their legs more effeciently in the shot. They shoot on the way up which means they use the full power of their legs. A one-motion shooter can put it up from 2 steps beyond the arc without changing much in their hands.

Someone with a two motion shot (Ray Allen, Demar DeRozan, Jordan) jump really high to shoot but end up releasing the ball on the way down. What that means is to shoot farther, you have to push harder with the arms, because the legs are less involved in the actual push of the ball. The advantage being, or course, that the release can physically be much higher to elevate over defenses in the mid-range and when closely defended on the 3 pt line.

In today's game with such wide spacing, that elevation becomes less important. Players just shoot farther away, and more accurately. Shooters have a ton of time to unload, it's just much deeper than in the 90s and 2000s basketball.

The theory on shooting has changed A LOT in the last 5 years with the advent of 3s being so important to the game. A good coach is not going to teach many people to shoot with a two-motion shot, because coaches don't value elevating over defenders like they used to.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

One-motion shooters (think Steph or Harden) definitely don't jump as much, because they are using their legs more effeciently in the shot. They shoot on the way up which means they use the full power of their legs. A one-motion shooter can put it up from 2 steps beyond the arc without changing much in their hands.

Someone with a two motion shot (Ray Allen, Demar DeRozan, Jordan) jump really high to shoot but end up releasing the ball on the way down. What that means is to shoot farther, you have to push harder with the arms, because the legs are less involved in the actual push of the ball. The advantage being, or course, that the release can physically be much higher to elevate over defenses in the mid-range and when closely defended on the 3 pt line.

In today's game with such wide spacing, that elevation becomes less important. Players just shoot farther away, and more accurately. Shooters have a ton of time to unload, it's just much deeper than in the 90s and 2000s basketball.

The theory on shooting has changed A LOT in the last 5 years with the advent of 3s being so important to the game. A good coach is not going to teach many people to shoot with a two-motion shot, because coaches don't value elevating over defenders like they used to.

I learned a lot from this post. Thanks. How do you know so much about shooting theory? Do you coach?

Reaction Score
If the shoulder is good, time to work on the legs and get into game shape!

Reaction Score
I learned a lot from this post. Thanks. How do you know so much about shooting theory? Do you coach?

This really isn't that much! Shooting is a really complex science--every person is different and coaches vary so much in their philsophy.

How much should we teach shooters to turn their shoulders? Enough to relax the deltoid. But people don't agree how much.
How much should they stagger their feet? Same as above.
Is the space between the palm and the ball really necessary? Probably not, but it's a good teaching cue.
Which finger should be in the center of the ball? Index or middle.
Where should the set point be? Some people like right over the eye, others want it a little more to the side. Changing his set point to the side more was how Kemba improved his shooting at the NBA level.

And a ton more.

Yeah, I'm a coach. I coach AAU, HS, and do a lot of individual training. Mostly wings, and bigs who think they're going to be the next Giannis, lol. Walked on in college. Just happen to have been a die hard uconn fan as well!

C

Chief00

Very good analysis.

Reaction Score
If the shoulder is good, time to work on the legs and get into game shape!

I think he's in better shape than most any of them, just a hunch from the workout videos etc. But you are correct in the gym is different from the cardio factor but somehow I believe this kid is ready in that regard already too.

He deserves health, will he get it? Hope so for him and for us as fans, we also deserve to see his game next to Jalen don't we?

Reaction Score
That’s AG now? Holy crap. No outward brace apparent so there are no restrictions? He’s also more muscular than in the past it seems. If he is healthy for the season we are an NCAA tourney team. Right before he was injured last year I could see that he was coming on track as a game changer.

Reaction Score
I don't know if AG is more talented than JA, but he is quicker and seems to have better court awareness. The latter makes him a more effective PG.

It is very hard to get too invested in AG because he hasn't been able to stay on the court. The most important ability in sports is availability.

Reaction Score
I think he's in better shape than most any of them, just a hunch from the workout videos etc. But you are correct in the gym is different from the cardio factor but somehow I believe this kid is ready in that regard already too.

He deserves health, will he get it? Hope so for him and for us as fans, we also deserve to see his game next to Jalen don't we?

Jalen has been carrying the load for years, weighed down some by having to do too much. The best thing that could happen to both of these players would be to play alongside another exceptional guard all season. Hopefully this is the year they both get this opportunity. It will open up their respective games and really kickstart the whole offense.

Reaction Score
This really isn't that much! Shooting is a really complex science--every person is different and coaches vary so much in their philsophy.

How much should we teach shooters to turn their shoulders? Enough to relax the deltoid. But people don't agree how much.
How much should they stagger their feet? Same as above.
Is the space between the palm and the ball really necessary? Probably not, but it's a good teaching cue.
Which finger should be in the center of the ball? Index or middle.
Where should the set point be? Some people like right over the eye, others want it a little more to the side. Changing his set point to the side more was how Kemba improved his shooting at the NBA level.

And a ton more.

Yeah, I'm a coach. I coach AAU, HS, and do a lot of individual training. Mostly wings, and bigs who think they're going to be the next Giannis, lol. Walked on in college. Just happen to have been a die hard uconn fan as well!

Appreciate the insight. What affect does being a smaller guard (such as AG) with the dip? You can't tell much with this recent video, since he's shooting unencumbered by defenders, but he's seemingly working on more of a step back 3, creating space. How does AG's jumper compare to someone like Kemba for instance (in terms of motion, not % obviously). IIRC in college he had more of a quicker jump shot, but used his step back more often than not due to his size. Do you see any noticeable differences to how he changed from college to his current shot, where his shooting % is up?

Reaction Score
Easily best backcourt in aac - and if everything pans out- top 5 backcourt in country.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the insight. What affect does being a smaller guard (such as AG) with the dip? You can't tell much with this recent video, since he's shooting unencumbered by defenders, but he's seemingly working on more of a step back 3, creating space. How does AG's jumper compare to someone like Kemba for instance (in terms of motion, not % obviously). IIRC in college he had more of a quicker jump shot, but used his step back more often than not due to his size. Do you see any noticeable differences to how he changed from college to his current shot, where his shooting % is up?

AGs new shot is slightly different, not much. He brought his set point forward some and is not jumping so much now because the shot is more 1 motion.

The 1 motion shot can be good for small guys because its faster. AG is never going to elevate over close defenders, so getting the ball up ASAP is ideal for him.

Kemba's shot in college was kind of a hybrid. He really improved his shotting in the NBA. I havent studied him much, so I dont have much insight.

Reaction Score
With AG don’t ignore his leadership and people’s skills. If he stays healthy that will be a huge plus. One way he will reduce injury exposure is being able to knock down 3’s. He knows that.

AG is a person
Persons are People
People are People

You heard it here first!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member