Alterique shoulder | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Alterique shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges 34m34 minutes ago
Alterique Gilbert arm still in sling, but he's feeling much better. Doubtful he'll play in Maui.

David Borges ‏@DaveBorges 33m33 minutes ago
Gilbert's injury unrelated to surgery, #UConn trainer James Doran says it could've happened to anybody.

Dom Amore ‏@AmoreCourant 36m 36 minutes ago
UConn: Alterique Gilbert will get X Ray and MRI and see orthopedic doc on Sunday ....

Dom Amore ‏@AmoreCourant 34m 34 minutes ago
Plan now is for Gilbert to do some light rehab here and then be evacuated. It's "doubtful" he'll play in Hawaii, but they'll see tests

Dom Amore ‏@AmoreCourant 15m 15 minutes ago
Of course, this should be evaluated. Damn spell check

Reaction Score
Unless the tests reveal something more serious than it currently sounds, it seems like the worries of not seeing him again this year were premature.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The only way we sign a McDonald's All American these days if they have a chronic injury and the other suitors back off. No way we'd have gotten him without the shoulder surgery.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sounds like he has a genetic weakness in his shoulders.

Or genetics could have nothing to do with it. Could be unbalanced strength of muscle groups in his upper body.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He had surgery AFTER he injured the shoulder at the McD's game. He had already committed to UCONN.

And Durham didn't have his second ACL until after he committed. So it's not like it was a chronic thing at that point. He was thankful Ollie stuck with him.

Reaction Score
The only way we sign a McDonald's All American these days if they have a chronic injury and the other suitors back off. No way we'd have gotten him without the shoulder surgery.
Chronic isn't really the case. Original injury was in high school but didn't "scare" anybody off. Nobody really knew about that injury until the second one happened. The second injury that resulted in surgery happened 9 months after he committed to UConn. Surgery happened during summer when he was already at UConn. Step back off the ledge.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He had surgery AFTER he injured the shoulder at the McD's game. He had already committed to UCONN.
Ok, but didn't he have a history of shoulder issues before he needed surgery? I could be completely off.

Reaction Score
Ok, but didn't he have a history of shoulder issues before he needed surgery? I could be completely off.

He had 2 shoulder injuries. The one that prompted the surgery happened in one of the national all-star games long after he was committed to us.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I was diagnosed with Chronic Recurrent Subluxation of the right shoulder when I was 17. I could pop my shoulder in and out at will, but could not extend that arm above shoulder height without it coming out. Unless I got hit while it was out or something prevented me from moving the arm down again with a normal motion, it was fine. Played the last yr of HS that way, and rec league ball on and off for 6 years. I'm left handed, but took to blocking shots with my right had because with the shoulder out, I had about a 6 inch extra reach with the right. Confused the hell out of a lot of opponents, as I played left handed, and as soon as they tried to take advantage of my lefthandedness, their shot got blocked.

Anyway, I never had it fixed. Since some time in the my sixties, it's bee an almost constant source of pain. Sometimes debilitating pain.

Reaction Score
I was diagnosed with Chronic Recurrent Subluxation of the right shoulder when I was 17. I could pop my shoulder in and out at will, but could not extend that arm above shoulder height without it coming out. Unless I got hit while it was out or something prevented me from moving the arm down again with a normal motion, it was fine. Played the last yr of HS that way, and rec league ball on and off for 6 years. I'm left handed, but took to blocking shots with my right had because with the shoulder out, I had about a 6 inch extra reach with the right. Confused the hell out of a lot of opponents, as I played left handed, and as soon as they tried to take advantage of my lefthandedness, their shot got blocked.

Anyway, I never had it fixed. Since some time in the my sixties, it's bee an almost constant source of pain. Sometimes debilitating pain.
I had the same issue for about a year...my shoulder would get out of position 2-3 day, every day. Interestingly, the same method of getting it back into place didn't work all the time; I had to get creative. It even occurred while driving. Had to pull over, and find a way to fix it and proceed.

I am a believer in muscle balance as it relates to joint stability. I stopped all front-oriented exercise, bench, flies, etc. and rowed my ass off. Haven't had an issue in the last 40 years. Play hoops and racquetball multiple times a week, have full mobility, and no pain.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he can get back and stay healthy the rest of the year. Otherwise it will be only Adams and Vital who will shoulder the burden.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Or genetics could have nothing to do with it. Could be unbalanced strength of muscle groups in his upper body.
Hell, then lets find the right guy to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom