Alleyne | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alleyne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it’s just a game planning thing. Ride the hot hand while its hot. I’m bot worried about him in the slightest. Same with Alleyne, he’s a proven player going through a slump. He’ll be fine
Yea Newton often isn’t even looking for his shot.

Reaction Score
He needs to make shots, and stop with the pull-up mid-range crap. He looks terrible.

His defense will keep him in games, and I expect that his shot will start to fall. If he gets hot at the right time in March, we're just that more dangerous.
Yea it’s a long season. There will be a point when Joeys cold and he’s hot. It’s the beauty of depth and multiple shooters.

Also coming out of VTech the intel on Alleyne was that he’s super streaky with his shot. He’s in a cold streak right now. He’ll get hot.

Another variable to this is we’ve played 3 top 30 defenses in a row. Iowa st, Alabama, snd OSU can guard. Scoring in conference will be easier

Reaction Score
If Alleyne is the Yard's biggest roster concern--Not mine.. I'm thinkin' we may win a few more games this year.

What a difference a year makes.

Reaction Score
You can tell he has lost some confidence in his shot. He hesitates when he is open and gets the ball.

I still think he should open his game with a midrange shot. Teams don't defned it as hard and it's easy to get an clean open look. Make a couuple of 10 or 12 footers and build up from there.

Reaction Score
You can tell he has lost some confidence in his shot. He hesitates when he is open and gets the ball.

I still think he should open his game with a midrange shot. Teams don't defned it as hard and it's easy to get an clean open look. Make a couuple of 10 or 12 footers and build up from there.

Mid-range is a terrible shot. No coach in their right mind is going to tell him to take a mid-range shot to open up his game in 2022.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
2 points in his last 3 games. 9 minutes tonight. I’m hoping we can keep this thread respectful, because you never know what a man can be going through. But I think it bares mentioning a discussion on the funk he’s in.
This team is loaded. There will be one or more nights over the next 4 months where someone else will have an off night and this kid will step in and fill it up.

Reaction Score
Mid-range is a terrible shot. No coach in their right mind is going to tell him to take a mid-range shot to open up his game in 2022.
Strongly disagree. Mid-range is what made Richard Hamilton impossible to guard. Loved when Hawkins moved to the mid-range with the clock running down last night. A good mid-range game makes you so much tougher to defend.

One step inside the arc is a bad shot. Elbow jumpers (10-12 footers) are a great complement to both the inside and outside game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when it became official that he was coming, a handful of us looked at his tape and said 'what's with that shot?' then, some dug deeper on his story where he came out last season as an important 3 baller on a team dedicated to 3 balling. toward the end of that season, his coach slowed that role, and had a bunch of new 3 ballers recruited in.
alleyne got the message and looked for a new place.
that happened.
now, with the rhythm of a new season playing out where hawk, tris, alex, and, at times, joey being the primary 3 ball targets (that would be, at least, four 3 ballers as priorities in front of him), well .....
ajax/alleyne/diarra so far 13/54 from deep. ajax gets a pass cuz of his broken paw, and this is not dispositive for their future, but,
good thing there are 4, or 5 (adama 45%), or 6 (donno rules, nice to see everybody gettin the memo lately) others who can jack nicely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah agree Newton hasn’t been very good for 2 in a row. Couple big 3s against ISU bailed him from an 8 TO game but last night nearly invisible at times. Need him to be better because when he is so is most everyone else.
Great point

Reaction Score
It looks to me that Newton and Alleyne are out of sync with the ball stopping at Adamo and the offense running thru Jackson . My guess is the pieces will fit together better as adjustments are made with everyone back playing. Remember Newton was good for a triple double.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Alleyne, like many other pieces on the team, will be ridden if he has the hot hand but if he misses a couple shots or gets lazy on D like he did last game he’s getting pulled and may end up with less than 10 minutes. He was used in a similar fashion at VT.

Reaction Score
he’ll be fine and will hit big shots like everybody else. its contagious

Reaction Score
Classic case of a guy moving from one system to another and just not being comfortable. Our system is predicated on ball movement, P&R, spot up shooting - and Alleyne reallllllllllllly likes to put the ball on the deck and dribble around for 4 seconds for some reason.

Needs to settle in quick - has the tools but clearly head isn't right.

Reaction Score
Classic case of a guy moving from one system to another and just not being comfortable. Our system is predicated on ball movement, P&R, spot up shooting - and Alleyne reallllllllllllly likes to put the ball on the deck and dribble around for 4 seconds for some reason.

Needs to settle in quick - has the tools but clearly head isn't right.

Where do you get the idea that his “head isn’t right”?

Reaction Score
Alleyne we know is a good player but that’s a crazy funk he’s in. We need his defense and toughness as well as his ability to make but he seems to be losing his confidence. For me Diarra is a nice depth piece but he can’t shoot we know that. Need to get Alleyne back feeling it somehow.
I would think Diarra would be the one making

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. Mid-range is what made Richard Hamilton impossible to guard. Loved when Hawkins moved to the mid-range with the clock running down last night. A good mid-range game makes you so much tougher to defend.

One step inside the arc is a bad shot. Elbow jumpers (10-12 footers) are a great complement to both the inside and outside game.
Yeah Hawkins using the mid range occasionally is a plus, because it keeps the defense honest. But no coach is going to draw up a play to get him that shot intentionally. You draw up 3's and if the defense overextends then you pull up for a midrange shot

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He looks like he's pressing.

It's usually a cliche, but in this case applies: he just needs to slow down and let the game come to him and he'll get looks in the flow of the offense.
My version of the point you're making is that he reminds me of the 'not-quite-there' aspects of the previous two teams.

People would say that we weren't a good shooting team, and I'd think instead that we were a team that for one reason or another did not take good shots.

I really don't yet know if he's a good shooter or not, but I do know that I'm not seeing well-chosen shots.

I find that frustrating because I keep seeing that the opportunity to get better looks is so much improved with this team. Thus far, Alleyne plays as if this has not occurred to him and/or nobody has suggested or demanded it.

I like the prescription above, and hope it can be given a try...and that it yields success that breeds confidence.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yeah Hawkins using the mid range occasionally is a plus, because it keeps the defense honest. But no coach is going to draw up a play to get him that shot intentionally. You draw up 3's and if the defense overextends then you pull up for a midrange shot
When you have someone who shoots 50 plus percent from mid-range and has the three in the tool-kit you'd better believe pin-downs will be run for mid range shots. It simply depends. A blanket statement about not drawing up a play for a mid-range shot without factoring probability of making shot holds little weight. The game is predicated among other things with make percentage within a certain area on the court, match-ups and the like.

Reaction Score
When you have someone who shoots 50 plus percent from mid-range and has the three in the tool-kit you'd better believe pin-downs will be run for mid range shots. It simply depends. A blanket statement about not drawing up a play for a mid-range shot without factoring probability of making shot holds little weight. The game is predicated among other things with make percentage within a certain area on the court, match-ups and the like.
If someone is shooting above 50% maybe, but even then they'd have to be shooting below 30% from 3 to make that a good shot. But we're talking about Jordan Hawkins who is shooting nowhere near 50% on midrange shots, he's shooting 14% this year and 29% last year. I feel confident in saying we should be drawing up 3's for him and not midrange shots

Reaction Score
He’s not playing with an average club. He’s running with some super capable dogs . I think keeping up with pack ain’t as easy as it seems, and it’s playing with his head. Definitely rattled and unsure of himself.

Reaction Score
I would think Diarra would be the one making

Why? Because he made a 30foot buzzer beater?

We need Alleyne to get his confidence going he’s a proven scorer off an ACC bench. No doubt we can use that coming off ours.

Reaction Score
Why? Because he made a 30foot buzzer beater?
I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon

I'm guessing you hadn't had your morning coffee yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom