All right, enough. Get Delaney on the phone. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

All right, enough. Get Delaney on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnJim said:
If the Big 10 ever wants to win the Big 10/ACC basketball challenge, Delaney better go after UCONN!

They haven't lost since 2008. With Louisville being added they are going to need to even out the playing field with Uconn. If only the big ten Acc challenge was the most important factor in conference realignment.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
OK, just spell Delany correctly. ;)

I used to work with a Delaney so force of habit.
It's funny that I got called on my spelling because I often sit here and pray that some of the posters didn't go to UCONN. They use 'do' instead of 'due' and 'their' instead of 'they're', just to name a couple. I can overlook typos, but not the one's where there's bad intent.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I used to work with a Delaney so force of habit.
It's funny that I got called on my spelling because I often sit here and pray that some of the posters didn't go to UCONN. They use 'do' instead of 'due' and 'their' instead of 'they're', just to name a couple. I can overlook typos, but not the one's where there's bad intent.
It's not your fault -- even the thread title is misspelled. Delaney is definitely the more popular of the Delany's.

I'm not a big typo hound, only when I can make a joke of it. I'm victim to many mistakes myself, but my job has trained me to proof everything I read. Just yesterday, I received an email "from" Susan Herbst with the Jonathan Ice Sculpture video and it had a typo in it...
upload_2013-12-4_12-17-0.png

Reaction Score
They haven't lost since 2008. With Louisville being added they are going to need to even out the playing field with Uconn. If only the big ten Acc challenge was the most important factor in conference realignment.
Winning the Challenge cannot hurt. We own New England. And some of NYC.

Reaction Score
BYU is an awful academic school. I'd say that takes precedence over any religious objections. If ND wants to join the Pac-10, there are no objections.

Why is BYU not a good academic school? What makes them awful?

According to USNWR's college rankings, they're No 62 on the list, just five spots behind UConn.

Of the schools currently in the Pac-12, only the four California schools, and, Washington, would be ranked ahead of them. And, they are nearly 60 spots ahead of their in-state rival, Utah.

I get a good laugh whenever I hear folks talk about the Pac-12 being on par with the ACC and the B1G, in regards to academics. The Pac is five good schools, and, seven mediocre ones. As a whole, they're not even in the same hemisphere.

EDIT: Yes, I know the USNWR rankings might not be the best measure, but, there are folks who do place value on them. I only used them for the sake of discussion.

Reaction Score
Why is BYU not a good academic school? What makes them awful?

According to USNWR's college rankings, they're No 62 on the list, just five spots behind UConn.

Of the schools currently in the Pac-12, only the four California schools, and, Washington, would be ranked ahead of them. And, they are nearly 60 spots ahead of their in-state rival, Utah.

I get a good laugh whenever I hear folks talk about the Pac-12 being on par with the ACC and the B1G, in regards to academics. The Pac is five good schools, and, seven mediocre ones. As a whole, they're not even in the same hemisphere.

EDIT: Yes, I know the USNWR rankings might not be the best measure, but, there are folks who do place value on them. I only used them for the sake of discussion.

When the way you operate is the opposite of the way a university should operate (i.e. open inquiry, open research, etc.) that makes you hardly a university at all. This isn't about religion. Notre Dame manages just fine. BYU's administration is interdicted by even ward bishops (who in any other church are parish priests). The president of the entire university has been overruled in such instances. They have a climate of tattle-tale faculty trying to knife one another with the bishops. One person I know was told he could keep his position if he promised never to conduct research again.

Reaction Score
Rumor is thats already in the work's(UConn) as RU want's to keep playing as many local team's as possible and recognize the value of continuing the growing FB rivalries with neighboring or old BE school's (minus Cuse/BC for recruiting reason's?) and budgetary reason's! I think maybe Temple is on their radar in the future too but UConn has more upside to offer as possible future conference brothers but even if they went ACC RU would do it IMO. Myself I don't mind playing ACC school's not named SU or BC though the hate for BC seem's to be receding on Rutgers board's?

I hope that rumor about UConn-Rutgers football proves to be true. And, that RU can work out something with both BC and Syracuse, too.

Reaction Score
When the way you operate is the opposite of the way a university should operate (i.e. open inquiry, open research, etc.) that makes you hardly a university at all. This isn't about religion. Notre Dame manages just fine. BYU's administration is interdicted by even ward bishops (who in any other church are parish priests). The president of the entire university has been overruled in such instances. They have a climate of tattle-tale faculty trying to knife one another with the bishops. One person I know was told he could keep his position if he promised never to conduct research again.

OK, I gotcha now. Thats a sorry way to run what can be a great thing for the state of Utah, and, nationally.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
OK, I gotcha now. Thats a sorry way to run what can be a great thing for the state of Utah, and, nationally.

Eh - he just doesn't like Mormons.

He has a lot of weird opinions - you learn to filter them out.

Reaction Score

pj

Reaction Score

There are plenty of mainstream prestigious departments where people are driven away for having the wrong views or finding the wrong research results, and where faculty try to knife one another with department chairs. There is nothing out of the ordinary at BYU except that they are overt about it and their norms are different than everyone else's. They do prioritize different things than research, but that's a legitimate strategy for a university. Not every university needs to be Harvard or Michigan. They have some smart undergraduates. A faculty that supports Mormonism is needed to fulfill their mission. Don't accept a job there if you're not willing to do that.

Reaction Score
I like Mormons just fine. I don't like idiots.

Eh - he just doesn't like Mormons.

He has a lot of weird opinions - you learn to filter them out.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of mainstream prestigious departments where people are driven away for having the wrong views or finding the wrong research results, and where faculty try to knife one another with department chairs. There is nothing out of the ordinary at BYU except that they are overt about it and their norms are different than everyone else's. They do prioritize different things than research, but that's a legitimate strategy for a university. Not every university needs to be Harvard or Michigan. They have some smart undergraduates. A faculty that supports Mormonism is needed to fulfill their mission. Don't accept a job there if you're not willing to do that.

You have to be kidding me.

It's not a real university when you are against inquiry. Don't do research, keep your job. Don't write, keep your job. Have a student tell the local ward bishop that she didn't like what was taught in class, the ward bishop then decides--over the university president--that it shouldn't be taught. Might as well let the local scold decide the curriculum. This isn't a real university.

As for looking for a job there, no self-respecting person would.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
upstater said:
You have to be kidding me.

It's not a real university when you are against inquiry. Don't do research, keep your job. Don't write, keep your job. Have a student tell the local ward bishop that she didn't like what was taught in class, the ward bishop then decides--over the university president--that it shouldn't be taught. Might as well let the local scold decide the curriculum. This isn't a real university.

As for looking for a job there, no self-respecting person would.

How well did your beloved Penn State embrace 'inquiry'?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like Mormons just fine. I don't like idiots.

Nah, it's the Mormon thing.

You're in education - you'd have to tolerate idiots just fine to have lasted this long.

Reaction Score
According to fbschedules.com, the OOC summary (scroll down) on the Rutgers page has UCONN is scheduled for 9/24 on 2016 and 9/9 on 2017. For whatever reason, it doesn't appear on the UCONN page(s).

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/rutgers-scarlet-knights.php
I'm really hoping it has something to do with maybe UConn having signed a privacy agreement with the B1G ala RU/MD which would no longer bind RU but would UConn? I realize it may seem farfetched or wishful thinking to some but it's a possibility? The B1G is big on stealth!!

Reaction Score
Nah, it's the Mormon thing.

You're in education - you'd have to tolerate idiots just fine to have lasted this long.

The friends there were Mormon, by the way. Most are. That's how it works. That's why a ward bishop has such power.

I didn't say I don't tolerate idiots. I said I don't like them. Big difference.

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping it has something to do with maybe UConn having signed a privacy agreement with the B1G ala RU/MD which would no longer bind RU but would UConn? I realize it may seem farfetched or wishful thinking to some but it's a possibility? The B1G is big on stealth!!
My guess its a much simpler reason. Probably the website holds uconn in such low regard that he is also in charge of putting up the schedule for all C-USA, MAC and Sunbelt teams too and it was just an oversight on his part. I would love to be on our way to the B1G but following the theme of conference realignment we are more likely on our way to the MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom