All Players Attending Hurley Presser | Page 7 | The Boneyard

All Players Attending Hurley Presser

Reaction Score
This is literally the first familiar old-UConn feeling I've had in years was this weekend. Honestly. There isn't a single thing this program has done or really that the ADept. as a whole has done since winning a national title in 2014 that 'felt right'. Sometimes it's not about counting beans - it's just doing the right thing. And they clearly did the right thing and you can clearly feel that undertone in the UConn community right now. Not to be an out-there nerd, but these kinds of things always have an energy about them and you could really feel the difference.
Yep. More than anything, it proved to the fan base the value this administration puts on this program. It took the narratives of the AAC, the states financial crisis and how much money we have to spend , and shouted . We showed today tha U Conn basketball is here to stay. I did not feel that way a week ago.

Reaction Score
I hate those kinds of kids.
the best thing about this kid is that he was a big baseball fan even though he didn't really pick up a bat until he was 12. he could emulate tons of guys batting stances and swings. One day he'd step up to the plate like gary sheffield and the next day he'd use derek jeters stance. either way he was smashing bombs

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
the best thing about this kid is that he was a big baseball fan even though he didn't really pick up a bat until he was 12. he could emulate tons of guys batting stances and swings. One day he'd step up to the plate like gary sheffield and the next day he'd use derek jeters stance. either way he was smashing bombs

Ok, that part is cool.

I'm just saying. I was one of those grinders who basically got blood out of a stone to be a college caliber athlete at 2 different sports.

Nothing was natural.

Reaction Score
Ok, that part is cool.

I'm just saying. I was one of those grinders who basically got blood out of a stone to be a college caliber athlete at 2 different sports.

Nothing was natural.
I've seen plenty of kids with all the talent in the world not make it so you did better than most. We had a 6'4" lefty kid throwing 88-89 as a freshman and he didn't even end up graduating high school because he was just plain lazy. All the tools in the world and he pissed it away.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I've seen plenty of kids with all the talent in the world not make it so you did better than most. We had a 6'4" lefty kid throwing 88-89 as a freshman and he didn't even end up graduating high school because he was just plain lazy. All the tools in the world and he pissed it away.

Damn that is a shame. That’s crazy talent at such a young age.

I wish I played 2 sports in college, but when they’re back to back seasons they have some overlap and I was already pretty banged up so trying to add another sport wasn’t the best idea.

I ended up with fairly serious (for a season) injuries 3 out of my 4 years. It sucked. But at least I grinded my way there. That I can live with.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This board loves to over rate Adams. There are some things he does well and there are many he doesn't. Would love to see what Hurley can do with him next year. I may be wrong, but in three years he has never impressed me. And I am homer.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
That just doesn't seem logical to me. It's literally the one thing that keeps him from being unguardable.

I couldn't agree more. If Adams could shoot consistently from the outside he would be one of the best guards in the country. Why he doesn't shoot 500 shots a day is beyond me. It has driven me crazy for the past 3 years with him. Last year he seemed to be making some progress, but then this year he went back to his freshman year.

Reaction Score
You better work your ass off and get a bunch of 6-5 to 6-9 guys.

Oops.
The team that comes to mind that could've really played that system KO tried to run was the '14 Kentucky team. Big guards and big forwards with ballhandling ability and ability to shoot from the outside. Their problem was those big guards were not point guards and none of them could effectively run an offense.

Reaction Score
I don't think 20 wins is crazy if Adams stays. Obviously we haven't seen the schedule yet so who knows how hard it will be but the AAC should be down with most conference games up for the taking. We were terrible the past two seasons but I really think Ollie's "positionless" system was code for "I don't know what I'm doing." Give the players some structure and add some accountability and I bet we look a lot better

"Positionless" isn't a problem. Geno runs a system like that where out of 5 players on the floor, all 5 can take their man off the bounce, all 5 can pass, and at least 4 (everyone minus Gabby Williams) can shoot from the outside.

The problem is that KO recruited players who lack most of the requisite skills, and never coached them into good habits or out of bad ones. The fact that he never had rotations figured out, even 30 games into a season, didn't help.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You can improve a shot, but even by the time I'm coaching kids at 14, there's a huge difference between those who have the fundamentals and those who coaches let shoot however they want. The latter camp can improve, but they just need to devote themselves to the gym and shoot so many shots they don't remember shooting shots. That's literally the only way.
I’m a firm believer that you either can or can’t shoot. I only want kids that can shoot. The rest can be taught.

Reaction Score
Ok, that part is cool.

Nothing was natural.
Seriously? College level in 2 sports? You’re like a 1%er. Don’t sell yourself short.

Reaction Score
OK fine, but one more thing that I find incredibly concerning to hear after the fact:

Our team just needs to be pushed by a coach who’ll demand them to be in the gym. - Jalen Adams

New UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley is exactly where he wants to be
Wow, that's not a good comment about the prior coach. You'd like to think all the players are self motivated but you're talking about 18, 19, 20 year old kids. Most need to be pushed. Hopefully Hurley is that guy to do it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow, that's not a good comment about the prior coach. You'd like to think all the players are self motivated but you're talking about 18, 19, 20 year old kids. Most need to be pushed. Hopefully Hurley is that guy to do it.

Even if they don't need to be pushed, they need to be pushed. Very good players are already pushing themselves, but to be great, they need somebody to push them past what they're willing to give on their own.

Reaction Score
Wow. We have major deficits in shooting, assists and rebounding. Now if he can get us to run a decent offense, an out of bounds play, and be competitive with good teams. He’s going to need more than what we have right now.

....defend on the perimeter......

Reaction Score
And for the record, there isn't a single guy i'm sitting on pins and needles to come back. The more, the better. Good for them, good for us. But There isn't a single guy i'm going to lose a sliver's worth of a second thought to losing from a basketball standpoint. Half the team isn't good enough to be here - and clearly not good enough to be here. Some of them seem like good kids, but yikes.

Wilson, AG? Not one?

Reaction Score
Kids that age don't know what they are capable of accomplishing from both a physical and mental standpoint. Many have been coddled and told how great they are since before high school. It is up to the coach to get them to the next level as a player and maximize their potential. Not only on the court but in the weight room. The physical development difference between UConn and other teams has bee astonishing.

Reaction Score
I vote we stop trashing KO - dude won us #4!! It just didn’t work out in the end. The next chapter is here and the future is looking bright my peoples! Let’s celly
We may look back and say it was worth hiring Ollie because he got us through the banned year, won us a natty, and ultimately led us to bringing in D Hurley.

Edit: I’m already there

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We may look back and say it was worth hiring Ollie because he got us through the banned year, won us a natty, and ultimately led us to bringing in D Hurley.

Edit: I’m already there

This may be the best post I have ever read on the Boneyard. What a great way to look at things. It helps me be incredibly optimistic for the future.

Reaction Score
"Positionless" isn't a problem. Geno runs a system like that where out of 5 players on the floor, all 5 can take their man off the bounce, all 5 can pass, and at least 4 (everyone minus Gabby Williams) can shoot from the outside.

The problem is that KO recruited players who lack most of the requisite skills, and never coached them into good habits or out of bad ones. The fact that he never had rotations figured out, even 30 games into a season, didn't help.

I mean, he recruited the guys to do it with. Durham is the big who can stretch. Likewise Vance and Larrier are the 3/4s with range and the right size.

He just couldn't keep them because he didn't make their experience worthwhile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom