All Players Attending Hurley Presser | Page 10 | The Boneyard

All Players Attending Hurley Presser

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He absolutely should test the waters since he has a free chance to do that. But I think he'll be back unless he believes the smoke some agents blow up his butt.
He'll get input from the NBA and they surely won't be blowing smoke. Then it will be up to him what to make of it.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I am thinking he is back without testing waters. He has 1 year left. What is there to think about. Here is a chance for the team to meld with a new coach and greatly improve. Better for him. Possibly taking the team to a conference championship? Who knows.
You may be right, but there is no harm in testing the waters. Why not go and see what they say. Worst case they give him things to work on. It's win-win for him. Even if he 100% intends to come back, it doesn't hurt to go out there and get constructive feedback.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Random: Something I read in another thread that I thought was interesting, was Tristan Thompson (of the Cavs) tweeted out a message saying congrats to UConn and Hurley and that they got a great coach.

Turns out that Hurley had actually kicked Thompson off the team he's junior year at St. Benedicts HS after they got into an argument during a game (obviously there was build up to that).

Thought it was interesting that it appears in retrospect Thompson knew he was in the wrong and after all that time still referred to Hurley as coach.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand the number of ex players on the Husky bench who had the opportunity to step up and grab this prestigious job and now have to worry about finding a job. Personally, I would have expected to see the JC tree expand more than it has over the years.....ala Larry Brown or Dean Smith. I'll hold my reservations on this selection when I see some results.

Reaction Score
Steve Enoch would have changed that optic.

Guys who look like Tarzan and play like Jane are not the solution. I have nothing against Enoch, and if he thrives at Louisville good for him, but I'm not losing any sleep over losing him. The pain of him getting from where he was to good would have been horrific. Durham is another matter entirely. When he trusts his body again he will be an impact player.

Reaction Score
I think he has a chance to be a good finisher. The new regime can get him there.

Carlton needs experience, but mostly he just needs strength. A Gene Keady or a Ben Howland would have redshirted him this year, and not planned on him helping the team until his RS Jr. and RS Sr. years, and then he would have been a really good player. Let's hope Hurley can make him such.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Guys who look like Tarzan and play like Jane are not the solution. I have nothing against Enoch, and if he thrives at Louisville good for him, but I'm not losing any sleep over losing him. The pain of him getting from where he was to good would have been horrific. Durham is another matter entirely. When he trusts his body again he will be an impact player.

This year off definitely helps him in that regard.

He gets to make sure his body is back to normal, he got a whole year to focus on building up his body and getting himself acclimated to the team.

It's gonna be unfair to compare him to what he would've contributed to UConn this past year, but he was the guy I really wanted to keep as well.

Reaction Score
This year off definitely helps him in that regard.

He gets to make sure his body is back to normal, he got a whole year to focus on building up his body and getting himself acclimated to the team.

It's gonna be unfair to compare him to what he would've contributed to UConn this past year, but he was the guy I really wanted to keep as well.

Durham never, never should have played his freshman year. But to be fair to KO, the injuries tied his hand somewhat, and I'm not sure he could have redshirted him without Durham transferring anyway.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Durham never, never should have played his freshman year. But to be fair to KO, the injuries tied his hand somewhat, and I'm not sure he could have redshirted him without Durham transferring anyway.

Agreed all around. His body clearly wasn't ready.

C

Chief00

It will be interesting and it’s fan conjecture at this point. My own sense is for Bigs there’s a minimum strength threshold that must be crossed before a Big can be effective regardless of skills. I agree with you Durham had some skills but lacked strength (both upper and lower body) and explosiveness. I think ND has the strength program to improve that.
As far as Enoch is concerned, I understand what you are saying defensively. What I saw there was someone who did not laterally move his feet so as not to foul. Steve actually has pretty good North to South speed for his size and I think some of his issue was mentally processing the principles of KO’s defense at game speed. With good coaching that can change. If Steve gets the minutes he will be a good rebounder - good body and good soft hands. He can jump pretty well for his size to. I also think he has a good shot and can develop into a decent passer.

It seems you are equating Steve to Dave O and I think that’s an incorrect assessment. There’s a reason why he was highly sought after when he transferred and landed in the ACC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
He'll get input from the NBA and they surely won't be blowing smoke. Then it will be up to him what to make of it.
There is s real question today whether you better path to the NBA is staying or going to the G league .
The life in G league may not be so great but your working 100% on your game under conditions that most emulate the NBA.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting and it’s fan conjecture at this point. My own sense is for Bigs there’s a minimum strength threshold that must be crossed before a Big can be effective regardless of skills. I agree with you Durham had some skills but lacked strength (both upper and lower body) and explosiveness. I think ND has the strength program to improve that.
As far as Enoch - I understand what you are saying defensively. What I saw there was someone who did not laterally move his feet so as not to foul. Steve actually has pretty good North to South speed for his size and I think some of his issue was mentally processing the principles of KO’s defense at game speed. With good coaching that can change. If Steve gets the minutes he will be a good rebounder - good body and good soft hands. He can jump pretty well for his size to. I also think he has a good shot and can develop into a decent passer.

It seems you are equating Steve to Dave O and I think that’s an incorrect assessment. There’s a reason why he was highly sought after when he transferred and landed in the ACC.

No, I'm not comparing Enoch to Onourah. Where did I mention Onourah?

Enoch was horrific. Period. He had already played two years for us. At best -- best -- he would have improved to below average this past season and been better than what we had. And then been good next year. But at most, we were only getting one year of good play out of him because of the time it was taking him to develop. And none of it was physical. I think he has all the raw physical tools -- not just strength but athleticism, speed and coordination. What he didn't have were any basketball skills or the ability to mentally play the game.

Durham didn't trust his body yet after the two knee injuries. I thought that -- more than lack of strength -- was the problem. But having redshirted this year, and with three years of eligibility left, I think he will be a good player and might be a really good player. In his cameo appearances, he should good skills and adequate understanding.

Reaction Score
It cannot be mentioned enough that Steven Enoch, all 6'11" of him shot 40% from the field. It wasn't going to work here. He didn't improve. I believe the staff was as much to blame as he was, but there's no point in hand-wringing his transfer. The kid just wasn't good here, and showed no signs of improving under the prior staff. If Louisville can get anything out of him good for them, but he was a liability at both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
And to also be fair, KO’s negligence in leaving the team two scholarship players short didn’t help. I agree that Durham should have never played last year, but having two more players would have still allowed the school to redshirt Durham.

C

Chief00

No, I'm not comparing Enoch to Onourah. Where did I mention Onourah?

Enoch was horrific. Period. He had already played two years for us. At best -- best -- he would have improved to below average this past season and been better than what we had. And then been good next year. But at most, we were only getting one year of good play out of him because of the time it was taking him to develop. And none of it was physical. I think he has all the raw physical tools -- not just strength but athleticism, speed and coordination. What he didn't have were any basketball skills or the ability to mentally play the game.

Durham didn't trust his body yet after the two knee injuries. I thought that -- more than lack of strength -- was the problem. But having redshirted this year, and with three years of eligibility left, I think he will be a good player and might be a really good player. In his cameo appearances, he should good skills and adequate understanding.

Your comment “guys who look like Tarzan but play like Jane” inescapably as a UConn fan made me think of Dave O. Apparently, that was the wrong assumption on my part?

Since our Bigs coaching failed to develop any Big, I will not automatically assume the slow mental development process - was all on Steve. KO was extremely erratic who he choose to pull or stay in after a mistake. Enoch and Jackson, both of whom added value in some ways, were the guys pulled after one mistake while others made multiple mistakes and stayed in the game.

I like the way Carlton keeps his arms and ball up but to me Enoch has a ton more physical potential - you obviously feel he will never obtain his potential - I am more of an optimist in that regard. Time will tell who is right.
I had some of these same arguments after Dre’s freshman year. I am not trying to compare the two - Dre is athletically on another level. But, assessing Bigs underclassmen is much different than assessing guards. Trust in Chief.

Reaction Score
Akinjo will hurt way more than Durham and Enoch...
It is what it is and is in the past.. We have to build it all back up from the bottom floor.

Reaction Score
Your comment “guys who look like Tarzan but play like Jane” inescapably as a UConn fan made me think of Dave O. Apparently, that was the wrong assumption on my part?

Since our Bigs coaching failed to develop any Big, I will not automatically assume the slow mental development process - was all on Steve. KO was extremely erratic who he choose to pull or stay in after a mistake. Enoch and Jackson, both of whom added value in some ways, were the guys pulled after one mistake while others made multiple mistakes and stayed in the game.

I like the way Carlton keeps his arms and ball up but to me Enoch has a ton more physical potential - you obviously feel he will never obtain his potential - I am more of an optimist in that regard. Time will tell who is right.
I had some of these same arguments after Dre’s freshman year. I am not trying to compare the two - Dre is athletically on another level. But, assessing Bigs underclassmen is much different than assessing guards. Trust in Chief.

Did our coaches fail miserably in developing bigs? You betcha. But did Enoch have the basketball instincts of an average sixth grade travel player? Heck no.

Reaction Score

I did not say Enoch would never reach his potential. My point was that without the year off, if he did reach it it would only be after so much poor basketball that the net benefit to us wouldn't be appreciable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As far as Enoch is concerned, I understand what you are saying defensively. What I saw there was someone who did not laterally move his feet so as not to foul. Steve actually has pretty good North to South speed for his size and I think some of his issue was mentally processing the principles of KO’s defense at game speed. With good coaching that can change. If Steve gets the minutes he will be a good rebounder - good body and good soft hands. He can jump pretty well for his size to. I also think he has a good shot and can develop into a decent passer.

Chief00 - if you have been to the practices and at the games you must have witnessed SE's antics and attitude
I don't care about his abilities physically (of which I agree with BLaw for the most part), as the year went on he became more and more of a pain and at the end he even dragged Durham into his fold of follies
Both SE and VJ were problem children
UConn has not recruited real Bigs in past 4 years- only make believe ones - that has to change - bring on a 6'10" junkyard dog who has muscle and an attitude to take no prisoners - I'll take 2 of those any day

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
But Adams is just pure talent. I think he has the highest ceiling of any guard we’ve had. It’s a shame he’s playing in this Uconn era. Hopefully next year is different for him.

Adams has a ton of talent, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a strong NBA career, but the highest ceiling of any guard we've ever had? There's a guy playing in Charlotte right now that would beg to differ with that statement.

Reaction Score
- bring on a 6'10" junkyard dog who has muscle and an attitude to take no prisoners - I'll take 2 of those any day
Even someone like that Caroline guy from Nevada. Not super tall by big man standards but super tough, maybe 6 foot 6 but was tough and out rebounding bigger guys. Kind of like a more clean, little Rodman. Liked his game, even nailed some 3s.

Reaction Score

"it's a new season"

Jumpmanbig is the king of social media lately. The other day he had an ig video story of Adams doing a modified skills competition in the locker room with Timberlands on and Polley using his air-max's as a phone. Hurley hasn't told him to tune it down yet, which means he's probably busy getting his staff and recruiting together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom