All five 2020 recruits have signed, and Geno has comments. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

All five 2020 recruits have signed, and Geno has comments.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A clear and clean version for anyone who wants it for wallpaper. Click for HQ.

WBB_Signee_Class.jpg

Nika looks quite a bit like Sue Bird (in her current incarnation) to me and Paige maybe channeling DT

Reaction Score
My concern with a very good class of 5 would be recruiting for the next 1 and 2 years. A recruit would have to believe that playing time would be very limited barring injuries or transfers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My concern with a very good class of 5 would be recruiting for the next 1 and 2 years. A recruit would have to believe that playing time would be very limited barring injuries or transfers.
Recruits don’t think that way and frankly they shouldn’t. As Geno has commented, “If a recruit is worried about competing for playing time they don’t belong at UConn.”

Reaction Score
Agree. IMHO starters will be Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Walker and ONO. No matter how great, no freshman has ever started for UCONN unless forced into the role by injuries, or forced to play because literally no one else played their position (Dolson)...

Numbers won't be an issue next year on a team with 11 players...
Jen Rizzotti, yes?

Reaction Score
Agree. IMHO starters will be Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Walker and ONO. No matter how great, no freshman has ever started for UCONN unless forced into the role by injuries, or forced to play because literally no one else played their position (Dolson)...

Numbers won't be an issue next year on a team with 11 players...
Christen Williams? Kia Nurse? Seems almost the rule rather than the exception..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Christen Williams? Kia Nurse? Seems almost the rule rather than the exception..
Who was ahead of them on the depth chart? Molly Bent? In Nurse's case it was sophomore Chong. Saniya was just not good enough then.

I guess we will see. With all the options, this time depth that's highly rated, I just don't see the freshmen starting. Fudd and/or Bueckers may prove me wrong...

Reaction Score
We need to sign Fudd and get more size. Need 6'2"+ wings who can shoot and create their own shot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We need to sign Fudd and get more size. Need 6'2"+ wings who can shoot and create their own shot.
When Azzi signs with UCONN there will be 5 very capable wings on the UCONN roster.
Aubrey Griffin 6'1"​
Aaliyah Edwards 6'3"​
Saylor Poffenbarger 6'2"​
Mir Mclean 5'11" & plays like 6'2"​
Anna Makurat 6'2"​

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
When Azzi signs with UCONN there will be 5 very capable wings on the UCONN roster.
Aubrey Griffin 6'1"​
Aaliyah Edwards 6'3"​
Saylor Poffenbarger 6'2"​
Mir Mclean 5'11" & plays like 6'2"​
Anna Makurat 6'2"​
Well Anna is only 6'1" so there goes your whole argument... ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Semi-serious, hypothetical, slightly related question:

Who you got?
Paith, Mir, Nika, Paige, Aaliyah ("20) & Aubrey
vs.
Evina, Megan, Anna, ONO, Christyn

Reaction Score
Semi-serious, hypothetical, slightly related question:

Who you got?
Paith, Mir, Nika, Paige, Aaliyah ("20) & Aubrey
vs.
Evina, Megan, Anna, ONO, Christyn

Soooo.....they're playing 5 on 6??

Reaction Score
Recruits don’t think that way and frankly they shouldn’t. As Geno has commented, “If a recruit is worried about competing for playing time they don’t belong at UConn.”

I would agree with you 20 years ago, but not now. Didn't UConn just have 2 or 3 transfer because of playing time?

You can pick your poison. Recruits come in and transfer or recruits don't come at all. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I would agree with you 20 years ago, but not now. Didn't UConn just have 2 or 3 transfer because of playing time?

You can pick your poison. Recruits come in and transfer or recruits don't come at all. Time will tell.
It must be exhausting being a UConn WBB fan. First you’re worried about the recruits UConn doesn’t have or get. Then when you get a nice recruiting class you’re worried about about future recruits not wanting to come to UConn because the roster is stocked with to many good players!!!! Sheesh......... Just relax an enjoy watching the team that is here now. Recruiting will take care of itself. UConn will get the kids that want to come here.

Reaction Score
It must be exhausting being a UConn WBB fan. First you’re worried about the recruits UConn doesn’t have or get. Then when you get a nice recruiting class you’re worried about about future recruits not wanting to come to UConn because the roster is stocked with to many good players!!!! Sheesh......... Just relax an enjoy watching the team that is here now. Recruiting will take care of itself. UConn will get the kids that want to come here.
It is - it’s a huge responsibility we’re saddled with. Much worrying is required to remain at the top. Somebody has to do it. If not us, who?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

There has never been a top 10 recruit leave UCONN over playing time. NEVER. Some of the kids who left were highly rated coming out of HS, but almost to a person, there was too much talent in front of them and they felt they could get more PT elsewhere.

They were right of course. All the following players went on to have nice careers at less competitive schools:
  • Kennitra Johnson to Purdue
  • Michala Johnson to Wisconsin
  • Brianna Banks to PSU
  • Ekmark to ASU
  • Edwards to USC
  • Boykin to PSU
  • Gordon to TTU
  • Espinosa to Mississippi State (starter last year, comes off the bench this year)
There were others who left for very personal reasons (Delle Donne and Walker). Espinosa-Hunter did not follow Geno's rules after being told numerous times. Edwards was never really a good fit. The whole story about those 2 will likely never see the light of day.

My point is, as much as transfers suck, and we as fans bemoan anyone who leaves, an overwhelming majority of them just weren't getting the PT, meaning the void they leave is minimal at best. Not every player is Kyla Irwin, Molly Bent, Heather Buck, Lorin Dixon, etc. And not all of them will be as patient as Chong was in waiting till her senior season to not only start, but shine brightly.

Bottom line, the best players will play lots at UCONN. Those who put the effort in and wait their turn will also see PT (ie. Chong). The ones who aren't quite good enough will either need to wait their turn, work harder and get better to earn PT sooner, or will decide to leave.

These kids have to know who's here, who's coming, and what not, but sometimes the reality is not what they expected. Fingers crossed tho!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom