All five 2020 recruits have signed, and Geno has comments. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

All five 2020 recruits have signed, and Geno has comments.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think people transfer either because they cant grasp the system, cant take the coaching methods or they are just not good enough.
Um... If they can't grasp the system, or aren't good enough, they won't play, hence the PT issue. As for the coaching methods, not sure what you mean by that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, my memory my be betraying me, but I think Sue Bird's class had some starting freshman.
Kiersten Walters started over Bird, until Kiersten started with her string of injuries that ended her career and Sue stepped in. Sue injured herself too so I don't recall exactly who was starting as a freshman, who was injured, etc... Maybe someone older can recall... ;)

Reaction Score
Has any former UConn player ever said "Im leaving to get more playing time". Or are we just assuming?

Reaction Score
It’s a great problem to have, IMO, but I don’t envy Geno for having to make the decision.
I think it'll again be based on who shows what in practice, who is showing themselves able to play good defense and their comfort integrating with her teammates .... as has been said so often, some people get it quickly and some others not so much ....

Reaction Score
I think next year you’ll see Bueckers (Fr), Williams (Jr), Westbrook (RSr), Walker (Sr), ONO (Jr). Off the bench will be Griffin (So), Makurat (So), Edwards (Fr). I think Gabriel, McLean, and Muhl will play in the garbage minutes just because they still have a lot of developing to do. In the three off the bench you get Athleticism (Griffin), Shooting/ Passing (Makurat), and size (Edwards).

McLean and Muhl are much like Griffin and Makurat this year. I think we all know Griffin isn’t ready yet, but we need her to contribute. Makurat is more experienced, but she has had to adjust to her whole life changing. On a deeper UConn team, neither of them would be starting nor getting good minutes (maybe Makurat but definitely not Griffin). Gabriel is raw, and her game needs development. All bigs coming into the college game need development. ONO was much higher rated and more polished and she barely played her first year. I think Gabriel, McLean, and Muhl all will use that first year to learn and develop and then as sophomores be able to really contribute.

Also this is probably looking way too far ahead, but I think Westbrook leaves after next year. I think she’d want to leave with Walker. And I don’t think Evina is the type of person who stays in college 5 years (and doesn’t need to basketball wise). Then in 2021 we’ll bring in Deberry, Poffenbarger, and hopefully Fudd (and anyone else Geno wants) I think Fudd and Edwards replace Walker/ Westbrook in the starting lineup and The bench is Griffin, McLean, Makurat, and Muhl. With Gabriel, Poffenbarger, and Deberry all developing on the bench. But like I said that’s way too far in the future.

Reaction Score

Who did Geno describe in much the same way? :)

PIATH GABRIEL
F, 6-5, Manchester, N.H.

Auriemma on Gabriel
"The first time I saw Piath play, I was impressed by how hard she works. How hard she runs the floor. How willing she is to mix it up in the lane. There's some things offensively that she needs to work on that I think we can help her with. Of all the big kids that I saw this season, she really impressed me with her work ethic. I think Piath is probably going to be the biggest surprise of all the kids coming into college next year."
Manchester NH, The kid has to know what a heritage it has. IT is the home of the American-Canadian Geneological Society, home of Iwo Flag raise-er Rene Gagnon, and my Grandmother who worked there from age 13 to 16 in their Mills.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty ironic, isn't it????
Not at all, though it seems that way! It is supply and demand (that works both ways for school or recruits) and hustle to fill positions. I am pleased with the team we have and excited with those coming in and how they will mesh with the current guys. Yes, there will be bumps there always are bumps good things don't come easy.

Reaction Score
Manchester NH, The kid has to know what a heritage it has. IT is the home of the American-Canadian Geneological Society, home of Iwo Flag raise-er Rene Gagnon, and my Grandmother who worked there from age 13 to 16 in their Mills.

Wouldn't that be your Memere?

Reaction Score
@j66kicker ---It is not like Geno and CD (especially CD) hasn't been through muliple talented kids for the same positions. It is a terrible problem to have and 360 Div one schools want that problem.
Do you really believe Ania or Griffin or CW or ONO shall be benched for one of the new kids if all the current kids perform up to expectations.
With Uconn it is a given: The best player for the position starts others depending on productivity shall get varying degrees of PT depending on Talent,practices, performances.
I'll take that problem over wondering where this position or that position shall be filled from???

\

Reaction Score
Ding Ding Ding

My memory is that the 2 things he said about Dolson was that she had good footwork and that the thing that sold him was that every time she fell she got up and hustled down the court. A hard worker with no quit.
Steff--many think she came to Uconn a finished post--no where near facts. As the WW2 Vets found she too was thrust into the fray with minimal training (against Griner) and succeeded. (all battles were not victorious).

Reaction Score
I know we had intense discussions about who would be the fifth starter this year, but to me, the question for next year is most intriguing.

There will be one starting spot open and two people primed to take it: Evina and Paige.

Does Makurat, after likely starting most of this year, get benched in order to make room for both of them?

Does Paige, after being touted as one of the best recruits in the past few years, get relegated to sixth man duties?

Does Evina, after being forced to sit out a year, miss out on a starting opportunity because Anna has earned hers and Paige is Paige?

I. HAVE. SO. MANY. QUESTIONS.
For all your questions about an accomplished player being replaced by a recruit (full time that is) the answer is NO--Evina--is a separate and distinct situation and complicated by the number of options she has at the end of this year. Whether a player was on this team or a new kid--as I'm regularly told each year---Geno tends to NOT player Freshmen as Starters NORMALLY. There has been exceptions to every Geno rule---much like Gibbs on NCIS.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Eric, my memory my be betraying me, but I think Sue Bird's class had some starting freshman.
Kiersten Walters started over Bird, until Kiersten started with her string of injuries that ended her career and Sue stepped in. Sue injured herself too so I don't recall exactly who was starting as a freshman, who was injured, etc... Maybe someone older can recall... ;)
OK, not sure if I'm "older", but here's what happened.

Walters might have been in the plan to start over Bird, but she never did. I think she was injured or had problems preseason? Anyway Game #1 that year vs Duke (won by UCONN 104-74) Bird/Duran/Abrosimova/Cash/Sauer started. Bird started through game #8, when she was hurt. Cash started the first 10 games before I think she was hurt for a few games. Jones or Williams started when Cash was out. Eventually Williams and Jones were starting with Cash coming off the bench.

Abrlic and then Walters started games after Bird went down. Eventually later in the year when Walters started having trouble, Glenney started some games. Ralph didn't start any games until around game #25 or so. Then she started every game after that.

Last game of the year, that horrible game against Iowa St., starting lineup was Glenney/Ralph/Abrosimova/Jones/Williams.

Lots and lots of lineup changes that year.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
OK, not sure if I'm "older", but here's what happened.

Walters might have been in the plan to start over Bird, but she never did. I think she was injured or had problems preseason? Anyway Game #1 that year vs Duke (won by UCONN 104-74) Bird/Duran/Abrosimova/Cash/Sauer started. Bird started through game #8, when she was hurt. Cash started the first 10 games before I think she was hurt for a few games. Jones or Williams started when Cash was out. Eventually Williams and Jones were starting with Cash coming off the bench.

Abrlic and then Walters started games after Bird went down. Eventually later in the year when Walters started having trouble, Glenney started some games. Ralph didn't start any games until around game #25 or so. Then she started every game after that.

Last game of the year, that horrible game against Iowa St., starting lineup was Glenney/Ralph/Abrosimova/Jones/Williams.

Lots and lots of lineup changes that year.

I knew Bird started from day one, but some the other details you filled in, wow .... I've got to know .... did you get all that from memory, or is there a site with that starting info?

Reaction Score
The Evina / Paige situation is pretty complicated and made more 'personal' by a desire I am sure Geno has to help Evina reach her goal for the WNBA after all her transfer setbacks.

I agree that the best solution is for Evina to start and play well enough so she makes the jump to the WNBA. Paige will get important 3rd guard minutes and Nika will be 4th guard with limited minutes.

I hope Evina has an opportunity this year to learn our system well so she does not have any severe learning curves.

AND give Evina a year to heal completely.
Also, IMHO, Paige will start at the point from game one and become one of the great Huskies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I knew Bird started from day one, but some the other details you filled in, wow .... I've got to know .... did you get all that from memory, or is there a site with that starting info?
Ain't no memory. Found the Media Guide from 1999-2000. Had all the box scores, etc. from the prior year (TASSK's Freshman year).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is also in the recruit and Bueckers threads, but figured it needed a third chance to be seen.

Dan Olson, who runs the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report and is the director of ESPNW’s HoopGurlz, said, “It’s not all that often that you see a player like Paige. She’s in rarefied air.”

Olson groups Bueckers into a class of past recruits that includes the likes of Stewart and Brittney Griner. She’s been mentioned in the same breath as Diana Taurasi, whom she considers to be the greatest of all time. Bueckers called that comparison “remarkable.”

That seems like a lot of pressure to place on a high schooler, but Olson gets the impression she relishes it. “I think she realizes that there’s far more that she can get to,” he said. “She’s going to be a great player at UConn, I can tell you right now.”

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Many times in the past I have thought, this is the season where Geno will have enough talent that he can send them at the opposition hell for leather from the git-go, without having to worry much or at all about foul problems, the "second string" being clost enough to the first string in talent that the loss of any single player (especially guards) would only affect the play marginally, if at all. However, that has never happened. It always seems to come down to seven or maybe eight players. Looking at next year's roster, it looks like Gabriel may be the only one on the squad who is not quite ready for prime time (although with great potential). So the question seems to be, who will be the other two or three players who will not be part of the core. Or will Geno manage to have a core of ten?

Reaction Score
Nice article in the Courant. If you can't work the link, just do a search of "Here’s what Geno Auriemma had to say about UCon\\\\\\\\\may produce and exceptional teamn’s No. 2 ranked 2020 recruiting class" and you can access the article that way.

BTW UCONN fans who were worried that they all didn't sign at the same time (or on the first day) can now step away from the ledge.

And keep his comments in perspective. It's the honeymoon period. Once they get to campus, they will become the "worst ______ (post/guard/wing) player in the nation"... ;)

2020 class signs

Lots of good comments by Geno on each one. But on the core group...

"I think we’ve got a good mix of inside, outside, middle,” coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. “When you look at our team now, we’re young in some ways. We’re inexperienced in some ways. We don’t have the kind of size that we’ve had in the past. Even though we’re going to be young next year, I think the depth and the experience that we have this year plus the youth next year. ... I like how we’ve been able to package a lot of different things into five different players. Not one of them is remotely like the other one, and that’s a really neat thing."
Of them all, and they are all great looking, I like Piath she is intriguing. She's a post defender that needs to learn to score. That Christine shall teach. I enjoy her beauty. Physically I think she can be intimidating.
Adding these 5 may create an exceptional team--ERIC you just built a desire to move on to next year quickly and this year just started. Thanks.

Reaction Score
He had more than 10 useful players on the national team and managed to keep them all happy, and successful.
Happy? Not a good word for them. ACCEPTING is a more probably word for high numbers talented teams at Uconn. Geno and CHRISTINE (SHE had the big role in keeping them accepting. She wasn't thrilled with being a minutes book keeper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom