2022 Recruiting: - Alex Karaban | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Alex Karaban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glad to be wrong on the appreciation theme if that's how you saw it.. Have rarely seen a player with his size who had the court vision he had with the ball in his hands.. JC wanted the ball in his hands as often as possible whereas I don't see AK as needing to be a point forward with the guards we have/will have.

All good. Nadav was one of my favorite UConn players because of his unique skill set.

Edit: For me.. His early departure/short UConn career was the toughest to take --over any before or since. But he had obligations back home that took precedence over playing CBB.
Due to NCAA rules, it wasn’t in his interest to come back.

Reaction Score
Due to NCAA rules, it wasn’t in his interest to come back.
Chiefster-- Not challenging you on your statement.. Curious what you meant. Would like to hear your perspective on Nadav.

Reaction Score
I think the NBA talent guys knew that Nadav had a place in the NBA.. But I also think they knew his heart was in Israel. As it should have been.

It was fun while we had him..JC loved the guy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He was also only good for one season. Or maybe underutilized the others, idk. I would hope we get a lot more out of Karaban, even if they do have a similar style.
I was going to write something similar to this.

From the videos I've seen of Karaban, I'm reminded of a mature, late-stage Niels type of game already.

The jump from HS to D1 rarely shows up as immediate & seamless, but I sense that the collective enthusism here is an expectation toward Karaban being such a player. The Niels we fondly recall didn't flower until his final half-season.

If this (or something similar) is Alex, sign me up all the way.

EDIT: I hope that changing "rnthudissm" to "enthusiasm" doesn't change the opinion of those who Liked the post as originally posted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was going to write something similar to this.

From the videos I've seen of Karaban, I'm reminded of a mature, late-stage Niels type of game already.

The jump from HS to D1 rarely shows up as immediate & seamless, but I sense that the collective rnthudissm here is an expectation toward such a player. The Niels we fondly recall didn't flower until his final half-season.

If this (or something similar) is Alex, sign me up all the way.
Well said

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nadav was the most important individual in that season’s full court press. His ability to anticipate passes and intercept them was uncanny.

And have Scottie B hunting on the other side was equally as lethal of a choice for the opponents to dribble or pass. Basically had two lock down CB's on the floor at the same time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Decisiveness is underrated. I remember watching Mike Miller in high school, he was just so aggressive the defense always seemed to be off-balance or on the back of their feet. Wouldn't mind a Mike Miller 2.0 on the Huskies.

I have little specific recollection of Mike Miller in HS but I do agree with your point of constantly playing downhill and pressuring the defense can get you that extra bit of room to square up shoulders near the rim, get that extra bit of room for a mid range J or open up a passing lane. Playing every set with urgency and imparting the sense of urgency on your defender becomes tiresome.

pj

Reaction Score
I have little specific recollection of Mike Miller in HS but I do agree with your point of constantly playing downhill and pressuring the defense can get you that extra bit of room to square up shoulders near the rim, get that extra bit of room for a mid range J or open up a passing lane. Playing every set with urgency and imparting the sense of urgency on your defender becomes tiresome.

Yes, also extra passing lanes. Miller was so impressive because he always knew what he was going to do and never wasted a moment, he could shoot and drive and pass and at the moment the ball touched his hands he was already executing his move. The defense seemed to break down every play. He had a few teammates who were also aggressive and this attacking style was very effective. Karaban should get some Mike Miller tape, that's probably his path to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Chiefster-- Not challenging you on your statement.. Curious what you meant. Would like to hear your perspective on Nadav.
Really don’t want to revisits specifics but suffice to say what an international player can do and what the NCAA allows one to do is very different. Nothing nefarious, just different Worlds. Of course, Chief very much enjoyed watching Nadav play and I have nothing but great respect for him at a personal level.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The big contract was from Galil Elyon, but yeah, the rest is accurate.

Reaction Score
I think the NBA talent guys knew that Nadav had a place in the NBA.. But I also think they knew his heart was in Israel. As it should have been.

It was fun while we had him..JC loved the guy.

I sometimes go back and watch the first half of the UConn-California game in the 2nd round of the Dream Season. You can literally see a player (Nadav) dominate every single intangible aspect of a basketball game without scoring. Passing lanes, tipping rebounds, the extra pass, spacing, etc. He was on a whole other level of bball IQ in that first half. Personified the "make everyone else better" idea.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You have to wonder how far we would’ve gone if he had stayed, and whether it would have led to an NBA career for him. But, to paraphrase Calhoun, “it was storybook, the kid shows up out of nowhere, leads the team on an incredible run and then rides off into the sunset.” It is a really cool part of the UConn legend.

Reaction Score
I sometimes go back and watch the first half of the UConn-California game in the 2nd round of the Dream Season. You can literally see a player (Nadav) dominate every single intangible aspect of a basketball game without scoring. Passing lanes, tipping rebounds, the extra pass, spacing, etc. He was on a whole other level of bball IQ in that first half. Personified the "make everyone else better" idea.

That kind of stuff really can't be learned the way ballhandling or shooting can with a lot of work. The reason why Jackson's game is so exciting to me is the stuff you can't learn--getting in the lanes, athleticism, IQ, rebounding, pacing, etc.--he seems to really excel at. He just has a great feel for the game on both ends. He had some freshman jitters on defense, but I'm not concerned.

When he learns the stuff that CAN be improved like his shooting and a dribble-drive, he's going to have much less to learn to become a complete player than most 6'7 guards.

Karaban is kind of in the same boat. The game sense is off the charts. He's just going to need to adjust to the speed of the game, but his learning curve will be steeper than most because of his high iq style of play.

Reaction Score
That kind of stuff really can't be learned the way ballhandling or shooting can with a lot of work. The reason why Jackson's game is so exciting to me is the stuff you can't learn--getting in the lanes, athleticism, IQ, rebounding, pacing, etc.--he seems to really excel at. He just has a great feel for the game on both ends. He had some freshman jitters on defense, but I'm not concerned.

When he learns the stuff that CAN be improved like his shooting and a dribble-drive, he's going to have much less to learn to become a complete player than most 6'7 guards.

Karaban is kind of in the same boat. The game sense is off the charts. He's just going to need to adjust to the speed of the game, but his learning curve will be steeper than most because of his high iq style of play.
Props on the correct usage of learning curve!

Take note people: A steep learning curve means you learn fast, not the opposite, as it's almost always incorrectly used.

Reaction Score
KInd of reminds me of Gretzky's characterization of his approach to hockey when asked.."How do you explain why you're always in the right position to score or assist on a play..Right place/right time.?" He said he tried to not to be where the puck is/was but rather where he thought it was going to be/end up. Thinking ahead .

Sports IQ on another level. Different sport but similar concept. Dav was the same way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Good point on pace. He did seem to be able to move the ball from defense to offense while navigating traffic.
He was also really good going from being covered to being wide open with or without the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom