2022 Recruiting: - Alex Karaban | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Alex Karaban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
let's say we get clingan. is it an either/or situation b/w karaban and flip?

i had assumed hurley would bring in another G along with floyd (e.g. justice/rice/hand) but karaban at SF could work

operating under the assumption 2022 is a 4 player class for now
Yeah, it’s extremely unlikely to land all 3 and Filipowski will be the toughest get IMO. But it’s good to see Murray hitting the ground running.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Hey, he's already a Husky!
He looks dominant, but the competition doesn't look that great, so you always have to wonder if it will carry over to D1. But he has the physical tools and appears extraordinarily agile for a young fella his size.
His form looks OK from outside, but his jumper is kind of flat.
Very good ball control in traffic, which is tough to find in a guy big enough to play the 4.
Overall, I'd be thrilled to get him.

Reaction Score
He reminds me a lot of what Deandre Daniels brought as a big 3 or stretch 4 - albeit in a very different physical form. Moves and ball handling to get inside and finish plus effective from distance.

Reaction Score
Murray just recently followed Karaban, Clingan, and Flipowski on instagram. Glad to see him going at it already. Big fan of all 3 players.

Also followed a player named Brandon Miller who I have never heard of. Miller also followed by Rahsool and Hawkins
Murray just followed about 40 more people on instagram. Lots of different recruits in there. Definitely an indication of some of the recruits Hurley and co. are interested in

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hey, he's already a Husky!
He looks dominant, but the competition doesn't look that great, so you always have to wonder if it will carry over to D1. But he has the physical tools and appears extraordinarily agile for a young fella his size.
His form looks OK from outside, but his jumper is kind of flat.
Very good ball control in traffic, which is tough to find in a guy big enough to play the 4.
Overall, I'd be thrilled to get him.
That play at :38 ?

Reaction Score
first prediction: clingan/karaban/rice/floyd

That's a top 10 recruiting class in the country for the 2nd year in a row. You can sign me up for that any day of the week. Really any combination of them, Filipowski, Lively, Williams, or the guys Murray has been after at Louisville would be stellar.

I assume we'll have to dip into the 3* ranks for a couple of rotation pieces like we normally do, though. Seems like we're on the right type of athlete with potential and size though, rather than going after whoever is available last minute like KO was. Our recruiting planning is very solid IMO.

Reaction Score
Aah!! I feel like I just relaxed in a hot tub and every ache and pain is slipping away. The anxiety of not chasing these guys is washed away and replaced by hope. The uptick in visible pursuit of both Karaban and Filipowski is exciting. I knew @HooperScooper was 'All In' on Karaban but I honestly didn't realize how many other boneyarders were actually listening. If we are successful you'll be happy. Of course the announcement of our offer occurs when I am on the road without easy access to the board to participate. Par for the course. My feeling is that Clingan, Karaban, and Filipowski can thrive together with Johnson and Sanogo. 40 min at the 5, 40 min at the 4, and 20 of the minutes at the 3. I watched Karaban play twice against Matt Cross, Kadary Richmond, Jamal Mashburn, and the late Terrence Clarke, so I know he can defend mobile players outside when there are 4 to 5 out. Obviously, it is an uphill battle to get all 3 and a coup to get any of them. I also like that they are all students and seem to value graduating with a college degree before moving on. Filipowski said as much, and Karaban has inferred that to his New Hampton teachers I sat with, (Clingan I'm guessing).

Ricker is very pleased with these developments. You may remember that Ricker gave Tom Moore a written note at Hoophall in 2020 to make sure Tom had his eye on Sanogo and Karaban. Tom came thru with Sanogo a year early and now seems to be taking matters in hand with Karaban. You can thank Ricker at your convenience. ?

Man is it hard to write that way.

Reaction Score
Aah!! I feel like I just relaxed in a hot tub and every ache and pain is slipping away. The anxiety of not chasing these guys is washed away and replaced by hope. The uptick in visible pursuit of both Karaban and Filipowski is exciting. I knew @HooperScooper was 'All In' on Karaban but I honestly didn't realize how many other boneyarders were actually listening. If we are successful you'll be happy. Of course the announcement of our offer occurs when I am on the road without easy access to the board to participate. Par for the course. My feeling is that Clingan, Karaban, and Filipowski can thrive together with Johnson and Sanogo. 40 min at the 5, 40 min at the 4, and 20 of the minutes at the 3. I watched Karaban play twice against Matt Cross, Kadary Richmond, Jamal Mashburn, and the late Terrence Clarke, so I know he can defend mobile players outside when there are 4 to 5 out. Obviously, it is an uphill battle to get all 3 and a coup to get any of them. I also like that they are all students and seem to value graduating with a college degree before moving on. Filipowski said as much, and Karaban has inferred that to his New Hampton teachers I sat with, (Clingan I'm guessing).

Ricker is very pleased with these developments. You may remember that Ricker gave Tom Moore a written note at Hoophall in 2020 to make sure Tom had his eye on Sanogo and Karaban. Tom came thru with Sanogo a year early and now seems to be taking matters in hand with Karaban. You can thank Ricker at your convenience. ?

Sounds like you're doin' some "Rickerin"..............
When do the predictions start?

Reaction Score

Mau thinks this is well stated Chief Ricker!

Reaction Score

Well said Ricker

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I went to Sanogo's game at HoopHall too, small world! I think that may have been his first game back from the suspension for transferring? I think he had something like 25/15 that game.

Reaction Score
Did not ask as a compare and contrast... i will ask

Tom Moore: "I owe my career to Ricker. He is my inspiration, and our last hope as a program. We wanted him, but had to settle for Luke Murray. We're probably looking at a mid-conference finish for the forseeable future until we can get him as our recruiting coordinator"

Reaction Score
Heard the staff likes

Alex alot....​

I really like how he's willing to do what it takes to win in his highlights. Kids don't like to post up when they get a mismatch, but he seems willing and able.

Hits the 3 decently, finishes with both hands, plays hard under the rim, good strength/size. All plusses for me. He's not even a bad athlete, just not GREAT like Andre/Bouk/Hawkins

I don't imagine he's the kind of guy that will get you 20ppg unless he really, really develops, but he's a 3+ year program piece that can give you 10ppg or better and fill all sorts of roles offensively with effeciency. Those are the players you build a team around to make a final 4 run. Then when the next Bouk that surprises us with freak scoring ability comes along, we have the spacing and backup needed to let him thrive.

Reaction Score
Longer Hoophall response than you wanted.

I had never seen Jackson in person and he was the first game of the day. I got there and it was sold out. I tried to scalp a ticket and ended up talking to a gentleman who turned out to be @HHusky on the Boneyard. He was trying to do the same thing. I also met the mom and dad of Albany's 6'11 center who was young, and improved vastly over the next couple months, (name escaping me as I write this). A person in their entourage just gave me a ticket. I forget if it was Patrick School vs Roselle, or IMG. In either case, I was there to watch Big Cliff, and only had Sanogo as a name to take note of, and wanted to see Komenga(?) who DNP. After watching the games I crossed Cliff off my personal 'wish list', and added Adama. In my program I took note of Samson Johnson and started to make specific notes as I watched him. In truth, he was making 2-3 3's and was smooth, but I didn't project him to be as good as he is. I have been impressed with his improvement. In 2020 there was a concurrent second venue a couple miles away with almost no attendance and mostly regional matchups. The next day, that is where I was sitting a few seats from Tom Moore with 30 people in stands that hold 1000. That is where I gave him my wish list note about Sanogo and Karaban that he could file as appropriate. He graciously accepted it without rolling his eyes or being dismissive, which he certainly had the right to do when a schmuck is offering two cents. There were 2 games going in separate gyms. New Hampton with Karaban played Putnam Science with 3 seven footers. Tom Moore watched the whole game, standing under 1 basket against the wall and never gave any indication or reaction who he might be focused on. During other games he was kibitzing with other coaches. This game he isolated himself and was all focus on the game. The nice thing about those empty gym games, is that the 30-40 fans around the court usually have some connection to the kids or are assistant coaches away from home and lonely enough to jabber a bit. Always get some insight you don't read about. Maybe next time we can have a boneyard group to help Tom and the guys so they get even better boneyard input.

FYI Ricker appreciates the humor in all this

Reaction Score
Longer Hoophall response than you wanted.

I had never seen Jackson in person and he was the first game of the day. I got there and it was sold out. I tried to scalp a ticket and ended up talking to a gentleman who turned out to be @HHusky on the Boneyard. He was trying to do the same thing. I also met the mom and dad of Albany's 6'11 center who was young, and improved vastly over the next couple months, (name escaping me as I write this). A person in their entourage just gave me a ticket. I forget if it was Patrick School vs Roselle, or IMG. In either case, I was there to watch Big Cliff, and only had Sanogo as a name to take note of, and wanted to see Komenga(?) who DNP. After watching the games I crossed Cliff off my personal 'wish list', and added Adama. In my program I took note of Samson Johnson and started to make specific notes as I watched him. In truth, he was making 2-3 3's and was smooth, but I didn't project him to be as good as he is. I have been impressed with his improvement. In 2020 there was a concurrent second venue a couple miles away with almost no attendance and mostly regional matchups. The next day, that is where I was sitting a few seats from Tom Moore with 30 people in stands that hold 1000. That is where I gave him my wish list note about Sanogo and Karaban that he could file as appropriate. He graciously accepted it without rolling his eyes or being dismissive, which he certainly had the right to do when a schmuck is offering two cents. There were 2 games going in separate gyms. New Hampton with Karaban played Putnam Science with 3 seven footers. Tom Moore watched the whole game, standing under 1 basket against the wall and never gave any indication or reaction who he might be focused on. During other games he was kibitzing with other coaches. This game he isolated himself and was all focus on the game. The nice thing about those empty gym games, is that the 30-40 fans around the court usually have some connection to the kids or are assistant coaches away from home and lonely enough to jabber a bit. Always get some insight you don't read about. Maybe next time we can have a boneyard group to help Tom and the guys so they get even better boneyard input.

The Albany Academy center you're thinking of is Riley Mulvey. I think he would've been an option for us in the KO days, but we've probably elevated our recruiting beyond him. Pretty sure he goes to St. Thomas More in oakdale now????

I think your eye test of Cliff vs Sanogo was probably correct. Cliff only scored in double digits once vs Sacred Heart. Sanogo scored in double digits (mostly the 2nd half of the season) 8x.

There stats from the 2nd half of the season:

Cliff:

3.3 PPG
3.2 RPG
0.1 APG

0.2 TO
0.7 BLK
0.2 STL

64% FG
47% FT

Adama:

9.1 PPG
5.6 RPG
0.7 APG

1.5 TO
0.7 STL
1.2 BLK

55% FG
65% FT

In only 20 minutes per game, too. Realistically, with 25 minutes under his belt and some development I could easily see him being a 12/8/2 guy this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Albany Academy center you're thinking of is Riley Mulvey. I think he would've been an option for us in the KO days, but we've probably elevated our recruiting beyond him. Pretty sure he goes to St. Thomas More in oakdale now????

I think your eye test of Cliff vs Sanogo was probably correct. Cliff only scored in double digits once vs Sacred Heart. Sanogo scored in double digits (mostly the 2nd half of the season) 8x.

There stats from the 2nd half of the season:

Cliff:

3.3 PPG
3.2 RPG
0.1 APG

0.2 TO
0.7 BLK
0.2 STL

64% FG
47% FT

Adama:

9.1 PPG
5.6 RPG
0.7 APG

1.5 TO
0.7 STL
1.2 BLK

55% FG
65% FT

In only 20 minutes per game, too. Realistically, with 25 minutes under his belt and some development I could easily see him being a 12/8/2 guy this year.

We have plenty of pieces for next year. What we need is for 2 or 3 of them to be playing at all conference levels. Sanogo is the most likely to be doing that. We need Jackson or Akok to get there as well to be a Top 20 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom