Al Skinner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Al Skinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree on Pedro and Lowell but Nomar was Fung Wah'd hard and often when he departed. Clemens did deserve it mostly but why did Manny? You all loved him when he was doing whacky crap his whole Sox career while winning and went along with it happily. Then when he leaves and he's a known user he's garbage? Sorry pretty much only in Boston upstater.

Are you a Yankee fan? Tell me this doesn't happen with them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agree on Pedro and Lowell but Nomar was Fung Wah'd hard and often when he departed. Clemens did deserve it mostly but why did Manny? You all loved him when he was doing whacky crap his whole Sox career while winning and went along with it happily. Then when he leaves and he's a known user he's garbage? Sorry pretty much only in Boston upstater.
let's keep this on Skinner and BC!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's more ridiculous. That BCU would try so hard to trash a guy's career, or that anyone would listen to what BCU has to say about anything basketball-related.

You would think that after watching the flame out of DeFillipo, with one bad decision after another, his credibility would be an issue. And yet ADs seem to not put any thought into this when factoring Al for a job. Are they that lazy in verifying the story or is the AD fraternity an issue? I don't get it. In the end BC, DeFillipo and Ryan completely submarined Skinner.

I'm just glad Hathaway and Jacobs were more incompetent at being incompetent than DeFillipo and Ryan! But they gave it their best shot. Thank goodness for President Herbst.

It's a good thing BC does not believe in karma!

Reaction Score
what did she do?
Was in hysterics when I saw this post (lol)-Marriage has a way of changing people. In this case, Nomar's work ethic plummeted.

Reaction Score
Was in hysterics when I saw this post (lol)-Marriage has a way of changing people. In this case, Nomar's work ethic plummeted.

yeah, but she's a world class athlete, I'd think she'd know how to keep him on the cutting edge.

Reaction Score
You would think that after watching the flame out of DeFillipo, with one bad decision after another, his credibility would be an issue. And yet ADs seem to not put any thought into this when factoring Al for a job. Are they that lazy in verifying the story or is the AD fraternity an issue? I don't get it. In the end BC, DeFillipo and Ryan completely submarined Skinner.

I'm just glad Hathaway and Jacobs were more incompetent at being incompetent than DeFillipo and Ryan! But they gave it their best shot. Thank goodness for President Herbst.

It's a good thing BC does not believe in karma!

Frank Haith was hired at Tulsa.

Skinner must have killed somebody.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Frank Haith was hired at Tulsa.

Skinner must have killed somebody.
Anybody who watched BC bb under Skinner knew how great a coach he was. This forum loved talking smack with BC fans when UConn and BC were in the same conference and hated almost all things BC when it bolted. But almost to a person the fans here respected Skinner. If a fanatical, rabid group of overly biased individuals recognize his greatness it is perplexing that ADs across the country don't. Ryan is still in the picture but Defillipo is gone. So it has to be BC's power structure. Either Skinner has done something very bad that BC prefers not to expose, or BC does not want to admit they mistreated Skinner and therefore are perpetuating the rumor.

Reaction Score
Anybody who watched BC bb under Skinner knew how great a coach he was. This forum loved talking smack with BC fans when UConn and BC were in the same conference and hated almost all things BC when it bolted. But almost to a person the fans here respected Skinner. If a fanatical, rabid group of overly biased individuals recognize his greatness it is perplexing that ADs across the country don't. Ryan is still in the picture but Defillipo is gone. So it has to be BC's power structure. Either Skinner has done something very bad that BC prefers not to expose, or BC does not want to admit they mistreated Skinner and therefore are perpetuating the rumor.

it'd be good if he could take over a program and raise it to great heights, and it was a program that would annoy the ever-loving out of BC, like a UMass or Holy Cross type thing.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
it'd be good if he could take over a program and raise it to great heights, and it was a program that would annoy the ever-loving out of BC, like a UMass or Holy Cross type thing.
Last I saw those programs are already dumping on BC.

The honorable thing to do would be for the BC adm. reach out to Skinner and offer help in getting him a job elsewhere by retracting the stigma. That would be a noble gesture and should be done unless he did something really bad that they are not making public.

Reaction Score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Skinner I knew Skinner was a very good coach but forgot how good. It's kind of shocking how good he was at a place of suck like BC and it's borderline criminal what happened to him. It needs to be publicly exposed how this guy was ruined by BC.

Reaction Score
Yankees fans have short memories. You want me to start finding articles? Let's see there was throwing the 70 year old traveling secretary to the ground because he didn't get Manny enough tickets to an away game, there was the time he blew off the visit to Walter Reed Hospital when they visited the White House after winning the World Series, there was the general indifference to teammates.... I could go on and on and all of this was reported before he was traded.

Reaction Score
Yankees fans have short memories. You want me to start finding articles? Let's see there was throwing the 70 year old traveling secretary to the ground because he didn't get Manny enough tickets to an away game, there was the time he blew off the visit to Walter Reed Hospital when they visited the White House after winning the World Series, there was the general indifference to teammates.... I could go on and on and all of this was reported before he was traded.
The Yankees Red Sox thing isn't cool, let it go brother.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I asked him to leave this debate out of this thread! Don't activate the player on injured reserve please!

Reaction Score

So you're telling me you stayed in your seat when he hit big HR's and looked at your friends and said "I hat this guy, what a fraud!"?

LOL

Reaction Score
So the last year of Nomar's Sox career the team was in line for their Thanksgiving Turkeys which were handed to each player. When it was Nomar's turn he just turned away and said

"Thanks but I'm all set. I got Mia Hamm for Thanksgiving!"

Reaction Score
I don't remember anything bad at all about Pedro and Nomar and Lowell, and I'm fairly confident they didn't knock Nomar and Pedro, but Clemens and Manny deserved everything they got, obviously, and you have to admit Derek Lowe was a prime flake, even though the Sox made a big mistake getting rid of him.

You don't remember all of the Nomar bashing in 2004? I must have seen that picture of him not getting in a fight like 1000 times. There was plenty of "Pedro is a prima donna" stuff, and I remember one report specifically calling Lowell a clubhouse problem when it looked like they were going to let him walk so they could try to sign A-Rod. Lowe was a flake, but the stuff that filtered out about him (of course, right when he was signing elsewhere) was that he was a dangerous alcoholic. Always from "anonymous sources," always right when the guys were leaving. Same thing with Greenwell, Canseco, Mo Vaugh, etc.

Reaction Score
You don't remember all of the Nomar bashing in 2004? I must have seen that picture of him not getting in a fight like 1000 times. There was plenty of "Pedro is a prima donna" stuff, and I remember one report specifically calling Lowell a clubhouse problem when it looked like they were going to let him walk so they could try to sign A-Rod. Lowe was a flake, but the stuff that filtered out about him (of course, right when he was signing elsewhere) was that he was a dangerous alcoholic. Always from "anonymous sources," always right when the guys were leaving. Same thing with Greenwell, Canseco, Mo Vaugh, etc.
Sweet freakin' Joses! The fact that Canseco committed truth tell-all suicide supports the argument that there is a culture of backlash in Boston?
The fact is Skinner was both a good coach AND lazy, but nonetheless BC had no reason to trash him other than ego of Deflip and to justify canning a successful minority coach. They've suffered for it.

Sox have absolutely been guilty of it and BC did it in this instance, but I don't think all the amateur Dr. Melfie's have discovered a regional character flaw. It is not a Boston thing as if something in the beans or Sam Adams makes every person or athletic institution in a 25 mile radius (so Pats excluded) trash someone on the way out the door. The problem is perfectly illustrated in that article. A certain era of sportswriters have so much access that they get the inside owner/GM/AD info that fans are curious about and all-involved can't help but publish it even though its good for nothing other pettiness & selling clicks/papers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
what did she do?

Nomar's and demeanor work ethic and demeanor changed after they started dating. She's his Yoko.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the last year of Nomar's Sox career the team was in line for their Thanksgiving Turkeys which were handed to each player. When it was Nomar's turn he just turned away and said

"Thanks but I'm all set. I got Mia Hamm for Thanksgiving!"
Can't believe this post went so long without a like.

Reaction Score
Is this a part of Boston culture or something? The whole getting rid of someone then saying bad stuff about them on their way out, I mean? Weren't the Sox (or at least the Boston media) also accused of doing this sort of thing to former players and staff?
Ray Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky