Al Golden rumored to have been offered HC position with Penn State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Al Golden rumored to have been offered HC position with Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can go sign a petition of support to show that paterno supporters supported him: https://www.change.org/petitions/co...-acknowledge-paterno-supporters-supported-him :p:D
This is ridiculous! It's almost like they want to absolve themselves of any guilt in his departure, so they will now be given a chance to attest to their support of him AFTER the fact! How self-serving! I found this line in the petition to be particularly humorous. "There simply is no evidence that the majority of Joe Paterno supporters did not support Bill O'Brien as head football coach at Penn State and overwhelming evidence that in fact they did support Mr. O'Brien nearly unanimously." How could anyone possibly know this?!? :confused:

Reaction Score
It's been discussed in this thread. You're quoting Davy Jones. The problem has always been Joyner. O'Brien and the Paterno people published private messages that were not CYA after this article.

Well, as mentioned, I don't think that was his main problem at PSU, that may have well been Joyner. However, when a guy says he's so aggravated with the Paterno people that he could just put his fist through his car windshield...then I'd say that it IS an issue.

Reaction Score
Well, as mentioned, I don't think that was his main problem at PSU, that may have well been Joyner. However, when a guy says he's so aggravated with the Paterno people that he could just put his fist through his car windshield...then I'd say that it IS an issue.

You're taking it out of context. Jones was recording the conversation and he kept asking over and over about the firing of Ron Vanderlinden. Over and over. O'Brien told Jones that he wasn't going to talk about it multiple times. And Jones had been after him for weeks but O'Brien never returned his calls. The whole comment was about Vanderlinden. The headline and the out-of-context quotes are smart editing. Who are the Paterno people anyway? The family? Old close fans and boosters of Paterno? If so then why was O'Brien writing private messages to the Paterno people prior to this blow up?

It's much more likely that he was answering Jones' question directly about why he fired Vanderlinden. O'Brien wanted to put his fist through the window because of his frustration with the Paterno coaches still on staff. Well, he fired him.

Why did he leave? I'm going to guess because he tripled his salary and because he hated the AD Joyner. Joyner assured him there would be no sanctions and that PSU would fight them to the fullest. O'Brien wanted out after his first year. He negotiated his buyout down last year. When he came back again this year, his wife threatened to sue Joyner and PSU for hiring him under false pretenses. O'Brien was essentially in an Al Golden/Miami situation.

There is no Paterno person who wields power other than the one board member who got elected last year and then joined the Paterno family suit. That person also got on O'Brien's nerves because he thought the board should move on from the scandal. But that's not who he was referring to in this case. In this case, it was the coaches, the biggest one who was already fired from coaching there.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Excellent rant. Wake me up when Al Golden wins anything of note.

I certainly hope you don't think Addazio is any good, then. He wishes he was Golden.

Reaction Score
You're taking it out of context. Jones was recording the conversation and he kept asking over and over about the firing of Ron Vanderlinden. Over and over. O'Brien told Jones that he wasn't going to talk about it multiple times. And Jones had been after him for weeks but O'Brien never returned his calls. The whole comment was about Vanderlinden. The headline and the out-of-context quotes are smart editing. Who are the Paterno people anyway? The family? Old close fans and boosters of Paterno? If so then why was O'Brien writing private messages to the Paterno people prior to this blow up?

It's much more likely that he was answering Jones' question directly about why he fired Vanderlinden. O'Brien wanted to put his fist through the window because of his frustration with the Paterno coaches still on staff. Well, he fired him.

Why did he leave? I'm going to guess because he tripled his salary and because he hated the AD Joyner. Joyner assured him there would be no sanctions and that PSU would fight them to the fullest. O'Brien wanted out after his first year. He negotiated his buyout down last year. When he came back again this year, his wife threatened to sue Joyner and PSU for hiring him under false pretenses. O'Brien was essentially in an Al Golden/Miami situation.

There is no Paterno person who wields power other than the one board member who got elected last year and then joined the Paterno family suit. That person also got on O'Brien's nerves because he thought the board should move on from the scandal. But that's not who he was referring to in this case. In this case, it was the coaches, the biggest one who was already fired from coaching there.

Are you talking about the original article or USA Today article? http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html - Original article convo seems pretty clear to me.

>>"O’Brien’s ire also was raised that day by my suggestion that a faction of Joe Paterno-era loyalists seemed to me to be miffed by Vanderlinden’s departure or dismissal, depending upon their view, and that they might want some sort of explanation. The former linebackers coach had been the second-longest-tenured member of the staff, dating to 2000, one of only two remaining staff members hired by the legendary coach. This really got O’Brien going:

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it."<<

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the original article or USA Today article? http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html - Original article convo seems pretty clear to me.

>>"O’Brien’s ire also was raised that day by my suggestion that a faction of Joe Paterno-era loyalists seemed to me to be miffed by Vanderlinden’s departure or dismissal, depending upon their view, and that they might want some sort of explanation. The former linebackers coach had been the second-longest-tenured member of the staff, dating to 2000, one of only two remaining staff members hired by the legendary coach. This really got O’Brien going:

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it."<<

Well, that's not the original article. But yes, that's the context. He was asking about why he fired Vanderlinden. As I said, O'Brien had 100% support, including from the former players and the Paterno family in particular. After Jones wrote the first paragraph you linked to, the Paterno people linked to emails they shared with O'Brien about the Jones article. Who are the Paterno people if not his sons Scott and Jay? Is it the BOT member? I wouldn't even know why they care about Vanderlinden.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My impression was that BOB wanted to be a FB coach and didn't really want to be the spokesperson for the U. With the power vacuum unfilled by a lame duck prez with tepid support and infighting amongst the BOT, it fell to him.

Add in some old timers looking to regain influence or just howling at the changes he made and BOB saw the life of an NFL coach serene by comparison.

That, and he's always wanted to be an NFL HC.

Reaction Score
My impression was that BOB wanted to be a FB coach and didn't really want to be the spokesperson for the U. With the power vacuum unfilled by a lame duck prez with tepid support and infighting amongst the BOT, it fell to him.

Add in some old timers looking to regain influence or just howling at the changes he made and BOB saw the life of an NFL coach serene by comparison.

That, and he's always wanted to be an NFL HC.

This is the thing people have to understand, that people following PSU have been seeing all this go on for 2 years. It wasn't the ex-players complaining, it wasn't the Paterno family. There was obviously trouble with Vanderlinden getting along with Butler, the new DC, and there was infighting on the board with the new pro-Paterno people elected to the BOT last year. O'Brien criticized the lawsuit they filed. But is he saying a board member criticized the way he coached football? Insane. Regardless, O'Brien's relationship with Joyner was awful, and it's pretty clear why O'Brien's buyout clause was reduced more than one time. Because Joyner sold him a bill of goods. The sooner PSU can hire an AD, the better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's amazing how one of the most prestigious head coaching jobs in the Northeast has lost its luster. I didn't get the Death Penalty, but Penn State may never recover the National power it once had.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I wonder if Randy had stayed here and kept up his general level of success if he might have been on the PSU list?
You assume he's not?

At some point they may have him there… ? Wouldn't that be a bit of news…

Reaction Score
Why has it lost its luster? The only one to have turned them down so far is Munchak. It's understandable.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why has it lost its luster? The only one to have turned them down so far is Munchak. It's understandable.
Do you mean Al Golden?

Reaction Score

Is it really as much of a disorganized mess as I'm hearing with the interim AD? I'm hearing there's a lot of pressure from the Lavarr Arrington type factions pushing for a "PSU guy" to get this job. True?

Reaction Score
Do you mean Al Golden?

Nope, Munchak. Golden wasn't offered but he may be hired. A lot of insiders are saying it's still Golden. I hope not. Others are saying Franklin wants the job but they haven't offered. I consider that a big mistake.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Is it really as much of a disorganized mess as I'm hearing with the interim AD? I'm hearing there's a lot of pressure from the Lavarr Arrington type factions pushing for a "PSU guy" to get this job. True?
Arrington is on WJFK 106.7 FM out of D.C. every afternoon, which can be streamed on-line. Unfortunately, I can neither confirm nor disconfirm those rumors of pressure as I stopped listening the day after the 'Skins relieved Shannahan of his coaching duties. I'll pick back up once they hire a new coach. Through other mediums, the DC media reports the 'Skins have interviewed at least 11 candidate.

Reaction Score

The problem with the interim AD is that he was an unemployed bankrupt wheeler and dealer in political circles who was given a lifeline by his friends on the board. His salary has literally put him back on his feet though he has no experience in doing what he's doing. The job is an example of political patronage, and this fellow has alienated everyone at PSU but his backers on the board. On the other hand, he did hire O'Brien who--despite leaving after only 2 years--did a pretty decent job there.

As for PSU guys, I can only think this means Golden or Munchak. I don't know if Arrington is pushing for either of them.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Nope, Munchak. Golden wasn't offered but he may be hired. A lot of insiders are saying it's still Golden. I hope not. Others are saying Franklin wants the job but they haven't offered. I consider that a big mistake.
May want to check your sources...

From Yahoo Sports.

Just a few days ago, rumors about Miami coach Al Golden heading to Penn State were swirling, but Golden later pulled out of the search. Now, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin appears to be the hot name associated with the Penn State opening.
Footballscoop.com is reporting that Penn State “plans to make James Franklin its next head coach” and that the school plans to offer Franklin the head coaching position.

Reaction Score
May want to check your sources...

From Yahoo Sports.

Just a few days ago, rumors about Miami coach Al Golden heading to Penn State were swirling, but Golden later pulled out of the search. Now, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin appears to be the hot name associated with the Penn State opening.
Footballscoop.com is reporting that Penn State “plans to make James Franklin its next head coach” and that the school plans to offer Franklin the head coaching position.

The people who run the BWI site are adamant. There are rumors that Franklin has been offered. But on the Golden story about pulling out of the search, people are adamant that it didn't happen.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't know what to tell you. Yahoo isn't the only one reporting it, but I didn't feel like C&P'ing all the links.

I suppose we have to wait another day or so...

Reaction Score
The problem with the interim AD is that he was an unemployed bankrupt wheeler and dealer in political circles who was given a lifeline by his friends on the board. His salary has literally put him back on his feet though he has no experience in doing what he's doing. The job is an example of political patronage, and this fellow has alienated everyone at PSU but his backers on the board. On the other hand, he did hire O'Brien who--despite leaving after only 2 years--did a pretty decent job there.

As for PSU guys, I can only think this means Golden or Munchak. I don't know if Arrington is pushing for either of them.

If Franklin wants the job, and they hire Al Golden or some other "PSU guy"............colossal epic failure.

Reaction Score
If Franklin wants the job, and they hire Al Golden or some other "PSU guy"..colossal epic failure.

I don't like Golden, but if they ended up with Munchak it would not be a failure at all. Munchak has reportedly told them he is looking at an NFL position.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If Franklin wants the job, and they hire Al Golden or some other "PSU guy"..colossal epic failure.

Agreed.....Golden has taken a historically great program and brought it to mediocrity. I know they have had some restrictions, but he really hasn't done a lot with the talent he has.

Franklin on the other hand has take a historically awful football program and beaten Florida, Georgia and Tenn the last couple years.

I think Golden is a decent coach...Franklin is a great coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom