Al Golden rumored to have been offered HC position with Penn State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Al Golden rumored to have been offered HC position with Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is Golden's press release from the U:

Miami Hurricanes head football coach Al Golden released a statement Sunday, reaffirming his commitment to the University of Miami:

"There has been much speculation concerning my future at the University of Miami. While I am flattered that our progress at The U during an extremely difficult period of time is recognized, I am also appreciative of just what we have here at UM and I am not a candidate for another position. We are eager to welcome our student athletes back to campus next week and visit with prospective student-athletes and their families beginning January 15."

In his third season at Miami, Golden led the Hurricanes to a 9-4 record and their first bowl game since 2010.

Reaction Score
And PSU fans breathe a sigh of relief. Some columnists in PA are up in arms over Franklin's candidacy given the scandal at Vanderbilt. They could try to pressure PSU into not hiring him.

Munchak, on the other hand, will likely look for an NFL assistant's job.

Reaction Score
And PSU fans breathe a sigh of relief. Some columnists in PA are up in arms over Franklin's candidacy given the scandal at Vanderbilt. They could try to pressure PSU into not hiring him.

That's funny because my friends in NE PA were hoping it would have been Golden. In fact the State Senator my buddy knows who is on the PSU BOT and a PSU grad said that Golden looked to be the top choice. But that was before Munchak was fired and his availability changed all of the sudden. I know he was the guy they wanted to se hired when B OB got the job.

Reaction Score
Golden is a decent to good coach. I view Franklin as someone who could be GREAT at the right job, along the lines of a Brian Kelly good. Just a wonderful coach. I'm shocked UT would go Strong over him to be honest.

Why would you say that"? Look what Strong did with UL with the limit resources (compared to UT). Imagine what he can do at UT. The sky is the limit I think. I love the guys energy and intensity. Seems his kids always played hard for him. I think Strong is a great pick up for UT.

Reaction Score
Why would you say that"? Look what Strong did with UL with the limit resources (compared to UT). Imagine what he can do at UT. The sky is the limit I think. I love the guys energy and intensity. Seems his kids always played hard for him. I think Strong is a great pick up for UT.

I don't think Strong is a very good coach. His teams struggled for all the talent they had. Give him credit though for winning many close ones.

Franklin at Vandy has been more impressive, IMO.

Reaction Score
That's funny because my friends in NE PA were hoping it would have been Golden. In fact the State Senator my buddy knows who is on the PSU BOT and a PSU grad said that Golden looked to be the top choice. But that was before Munchak was fired and his availability changed all of the sudden. I know he was the guy they wanted to se hired when B OB got the job.

Golden was the top choice. I'm just glad he turned them down to go after Franklin. Not sure about Munchak.

Reaction Score
I don't think Strong is a very good coach. His teams struggled for all the talent they had. Give him credit though for winning many close ones.

Franklin at Vandy has been more impressive, IMO.

Struggled? They went 12-1 this year. Only loss was a 3 point loss to UCF. 11-2 a year ago, and 7-6 in his first two year taking over a team that was 4-8 the previous year. He turned the program around, righted the ship and won quite a few games. His first recruiting class were seniors this year and you see the result. I think he will be great at Texas. He has an incredible talent pool to pick from and as I mentioned some of the best resources of any school in the country.

Reaction Score
Struggled? They went 12-1 this year. Only loss was a 3 point loss to UCF. 11-2 a year ago, and 7-6 in his first two year taking over a team that was 4-8 the previous year. He turned the program around, righted the ship and won quite a few games. His first recruiting class were seniors this year and you see the result. I think he will be great at Texas. He has an incredible talent pool to pick from and as I mentioned some of the best resources of any school in the country.

I wasn't only talking about this year. Look at the scores of their games last year and the previous year. The level of competition and their performance was not that impressive. Heck, one of the worst UConn teams of the last 15 years beat them. Paul Pasqualoni beat them.

Reaction Score
Strong had a very fundamentally sound team. Nothing fancy good tackling good cstches. Without Bridgewater they are still a 7-8 win team. He was very fortunate to have a five star qb during histenure . At Texas he will have a team of five star players but many of the coaches are a lot craftier. Hope he gets a good oc

Reaction Score
I wasn't only talking about this year. Look at the scores of their games last year and the previous year. The level of competition and their performance was not that impressive. Heck, one of the worst UConn teams of the last 15 years beat them. Paul Pasqualoni beat them.

You spoke of talent. UConn has talent. We've seen that. They had terrible coaching, but the talent is there. Sometimes teams play down to their opponents level. We see it every year. Last years team was much closer to having much more than 5 wins than most think.

Reaction Score
Here's a post from a Miami fan on the PSU board:

Just Wanted To Thank You GuysReply

For setting our program back 3 years.

The damn guy played for you and is obsessed with JoePa and you couldn't offer him a damn contract on time? He dresses like the man, for duck's sake. In south Florida!! This dope waddles around our sideline dressed like a McDonald's manager while clinging to life in sweltering heat. He's covered in butt sweat with a face redder than a baboon''s assss before the ball is even kicked off. Every home game is a fight for his life.

He went 0-4 against the 4 best teams on our schedule this year. Average score 17-42.

He's 1-12 against teams that won 8 or more games while at Miami.

His best friend allows 500 yards a game while eating his own boogers in the booth.

We personally helped him pack and were ready to drive him to the airport and you fcking blew it. I hope Nunchuck becomes your coach and all his limbs fall off on opening weekend. A pox on your homes and families for sending us this transfat loving, gluten shoveling, lumpy XXXXX. Take him back already. We hope his tie gets caught in a high-powered ceiling fan.

I hope your Athletic director gets crabs.

Cheers.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
TRest said:
Excellent rant. Wake me up when Al Golden wins anything of note.

Yeah, I don't get certain PSU fans' obsession with Golden and to a much larger degree, Schiano.

Neither has done much to distinguish himself as a HC. Golden's had the sanctions to deal with but he's also been at Miami...in the ACC. Schiano had reached full retread status and had RE eat his lunch as a program builder.

The only candidate name that could be more ridiculous for that program, if floated, would be Matt Millen.

Reaction Score
Golden did a great job at Temple. He took arguably one of the worst D1 prgorams in the country and at the very least made them respectable for their league. He also left the program in dramatically better condition than what he inherited, leaving Adazzio something to work with and not have to "rebuild".
The jury is still out at Miami. He walked into an absolute show of a mess, and has done a decent job so far in cleaning it up, dealing w/ NCAA investigators/sanctions, etc... At the very least he has begun to right the ship. It will be interesting to see where he has that program in another couple years when all the NCAA crap is in the rear view.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't get certain PSU fans' obsession with Golden and to a much larger degree, Schiano.

Neither has done much to distinguish himself as a HC. Golden's had the sanctions to deal with but he's also been at Miami...in the ACC. Schiano had reached full retread status and had RE eat his lunch as a program builder.

The only candidate name that could be more ridiculous for that program, if floated, would be Matt Millen.
The PSU fans I know wnt NOTHING to do with Greg Schiano. That "interest" is perpertrated by the Press because he was. db coach under Sandusky (he is also considered "a Sandusky guy").

Reaction Score
Golden did a great job at Temple. He took arguably one of the worst D1 prgorams in the country and at the very least made them respectable for their league. He also left the program in dramatically better condition than what he inherited, leaving Adazzio something to work with and not have to "rebuild".
The jury is still out at Miami. He walked into an absolute show of a mess, and has done a decent job so far in cleaning it up, dealing w/ NCAA investigators/sanctions, etc... At the very least he has begun to right the ship. It will be interesting to see where he has that program in another couple years when all the NCAA crap is in the rear view.

Golden did do a good job. He basically made Temple solvent again. But just don't think he is the kind of coach that is capable of building world beating dynastys.

Reaction Score
Golden was the top choice. I'm just glad he turned them down to go after Franklin. Not sure about Munchak.

...and it takes one potential candidate for Louisville off the board.

Reaction Score

Penn State is starting to look/sound like post-Bryant BAMA and post-Wooden UCLA. No coach will be able to escape the "this is not what Joe Pa would do" faction for years. It's going to be a hard place on a coach's stomach lining.

Reaction Score
Penn State is starting to look/sound like post-Bryant BAMA and post-Wooden UCLA. No coach will be able to escape the "this is not what Joe Pa would do" faction for years. It's going to be a hard place on a coach's stomach lining.

O'Brien got 100% support from the fans and Paterno people around the program.

They weren't the problem. O'Brien's problem is with the AD. Google Michael Mauti and Dave Joyner and you'll get a sense of the problem. The players voted to ban the AD from the sidelines and from talking to them.

He is an interim AD and they are hiring the President first, and then the new AD. After that, I don't think there will be any factions, since the old guard has totally moved on.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well it doesn't seem like O'Brien had 100% support from the Paterno people after all. While they were very likely not his main problem at PSU, they may well have been what caused him to finally run from "Happy Valley".

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/bill-obrien-joe-paterno-penn-state-rant/

It's been discussed in this thread. You're quoting Davy Jones. The problem has always been Joyner. O'Brien and the Paterno people published private messages that were not CYA after this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom