Akok training with Coach Sal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Akok training with Coach Sal

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sid Wilson was just as good as Bouknight in HS if not better, but I’m of the opinion that good shooters adapt faster than slashers in college. Still, it’s hard to bank on most freshman being able to start from day one, so I don’t want to put too many expectations on Bouknight next year.

I think it's fair to say Bouknight's development, from a pure skill perspective, is further along than Sid's was at the time. Heck, it might even be further along than Sid's is right now.

I'd imagine Bouk is a more intelligent player as well, given what Hurley is looking for in his recruits.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'd imagine Bouk is a more intelligent player as well, given what Hurley is looking for in his recruits.

Well Hurley did go after Sid while at URI, so I’m not sure how big the gap between the two would be in terms of that.

Sid had far more interest from reputable judges of skill and BBIQ than the group of “KO recruits” he gets lumped in with.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well Hurley did go after Sid while at URI, so I’m not sure how big the gap between the two would be in terms of that.

Sid had far more interest from reputable judges of skill and BBIQ than the group of “KO recruits” he gets lumped in with.

That's true. His upside is undeniable. But he might be one of those classic cases where a kid relies on athleticism to dominate at the high school level, but doesn't develop the fundamentals needed to compete with better athletes in the college game as a result.

I wouldn't put him in the class of 'KO recruits' per se, given what you're implying with that statement, but I do put him in the category of guys who've developed bad habits over his first year plus in college (and probably came in with some).

He's got plenty of time to turn it around, but it's gonna all be on him.

Reaction Score
Akok will clearly start at the 4 and deservedly so. He will be a big help for our team. The 3 spot is tricky because it depends on Sid's offseason development along with Polley's who always gets slighted on the yard. Polley is in the mold of Niels GIffey, and should get tougher mentally/confidence-wise this offseason.

Bouknight has more skills and Basketball IQ than Sid, and has better athleticism, and talent than Polley. I would give Bouknight a very good chance to start at the 3 alongside Rique and Vital.

Lineup: Rique, Vital, Bouknight, Akok, Carlton
Bench: Sid, Polley, Gaffney,

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Akok will clearly start at the 4 and deservedly so. He will be a big help for our team. The 3 spot is tricky because it depends on Sid's offseason development along with Polley's who always gets slighted on the yard. Polley is in the mold of Niels GIffey, and should get tougher mentally/confidence-wise this offseason.

The big difference, and it is big, is that Giffey was surprisingly athletic and strong. He was also a very smart player, who knew how to insert himself into the game, while playing within his capabilities. He was so far ahead of Polley mentally. Giffey, as a freshman, was better at pretty much every fundamental than Polley is right now.

Reaction Score
Honestly, what does it matter who starts next year?

As long as the starter at each position is better (or a better version) of who’s starting this year then I’ll be happy.

If it’s the same 5 starters as we have out there now, and they’re each better than they are this year, I’m happy.

If it’s 5 new starters, cuz they beat out this years 5 starters, I’m just as happy.

What I want to see each year is a starting five better than the prior years starting 5.

Reaction Score
Fat guys arguing about what a skinny kid needs to do to gain strength. Like they’ve ever been a skinny kid like Akok. Trust in coach Sal and go back to squatting the rack so you can rake leaves better in the fall, or whatever athletic movements you think you do.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The big difference, and it is big, is that Giffey was surprisingly athletic and strong. He was also a very smart player, who knew how to insert himself into the game, while playing within his capabilities. He was so far ahead of Polley mentally. Giffey, as a freshman, was better at pretty much every fundamental than Polley is right now.

This. Polley has put up a few games where he put up all zeros across the box score (other than points) even with having played a decent amount of minutes. Did Giffey ever have a game like that in his entire career?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your overall point, but let's not get too crazy with the praise for freshman year Giffey. I love Niels, but there is a HUGE difference between freshman year Giffey (where plenty of people here were questioning whether he was a UConn-level talent) and the guy that shot almost 50% from 3 his senior year.

Reaction Score
Akok working out with Sal this morning doing chest dumbells...

I think we are looking at 25lb weights. baby steps

This is why it's insane we have armchair strength coaches on here saying that Akok should be throwing huge weights on Olympic lifts. He doesn't even have a base of mobility and strength yet. With a body as wonky as his is already, he is a major injury risk until he becomes stronger SAFELY.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your overall point, but let's not get too crazy with the praise for freshman year Giffey. I love Niels, but there is a HUGE difference between freshman year Giffey (where plenty of people here were questioning whether he was a UConn-level talent) and the guy that shot almost 50% from 3 his senior year.
Freshman Giffey had 14 points in the Maui championship game in November, 2010 when we beat Kentucky. That was his fifth game as a Husky. People were "questioning whether he was a UConn-level talent"? When exactly was that? Games 1-4?

Reaction Score
Freshman Giffey had 14 points in the Maui championship game in November, 2010 when we beat Kentucky. That was his fifth game as a Husky. People were "questioning whether he was a UConn-level talent"? When exactly was that? Games 1-4?
Freshman Giffey finished the season with averages of 2.2 pts and 1.4 rbs on 40% shooting (including 32% from three). He didn't break the 3 PPG barrier until his Junior year when he averaged 4.6. There's a big recency bias at play here if you think a lot of people on this board weren't unenthused (at best) by Freshman year Giffey. This of course doesn't take away at all from the player he became his Senior year.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is probably already better than sid and polley right now. Those 2 guys have not impressed me at all this year. Bouknight starts at the 3 next year unless sid and polley improve by at least 25%(I’m going to assume , based on nothing - but I have a feeling bouknight is going to be really good really soon for us) Akok deff starts at 4. Things obviously change if we land precious or a big that comes out of the blue.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

My comment was more of a reflection on the current level and ceiling of Polley's skill, rather than freshman year Giffey. I didn't think Giff was fantastic as a freshman either....

When I said "was better at pretty much every fundamental than Polley is right now", I'm focusing on fundamentals, and leaving out shooting. Polley is ahead of freshman Giffey at that right now. And yes, the concept is a bit of an exaggeration in some regards.

I think Polley can be a useful piece coming off the bench as an upperclassmen. I think he'll be more effective with less burn. It'll mask some of his deficiencies.

He can D up certain kinds of players, but is not versatile in that regard, hence limited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great point. My breakthrough as an athlete came when all those things came together. Bigger guys might be strong but can’t do a pull up or dunk. Other guys can dunk and do pull-ups but bench 120lbs or less. I believe pull-ups, chin-ups and squats along with ability to play make the basic college athlete. The exceptional then move beyond that while maintaining and improving game skills.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is probably already better than sid and polley right now. Those 2 guys have not impressed me at all this year. Bouknight starts at the 3 next year unless sid and polley improve by at least 25%(I’m going to assume , based on nothing - but I have a feeling bouknight is going to be really good really soon for us) Akok deff starts at 4. Things obviously change if we land precious or a big that comes out of the blue.
You are right about Sid and Polley this year, but we have not seen what these 3 new players are capable of against high level competition. We have the need for them to be good, desperate need and if Akok is going to play the 4 we need him to be strong, so Sal do your thing.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson was just as good as Bouknight in HS if not better, but I’m of the opinion that good shooters adapt faster than slashers in college. Still, it’s hard to bank on most freshman being able to start from day one, so I don’t want to put too many expectations on Bouknight next year.

Bouknight's basketball IQ is SO much higher than Sid's. Sid is an athlete. Bouknight is a smart player who is also athletic. Bouknight's game is much more complete. Sid is an elite athlete, but he will never have the all around game that James has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom