Akok enters the portal | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Akok enters the portal

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Akok would have been an important piece, especially if he was at full strength, but the hard truth is that in the 2nd half of the season he looked lost on defense and was a liability. That's no one's fault but his own.

All the transfers has chances to crack a lineup that really could have used a few things. None of the guards beat out Gaffney. Akok couldn't even make a case to spell Whaley.

Reaction Score
People should realize that the big loss out of all the transfers is actually Akok not any of the guards.

He's better than what happened this year, and the return of Dagger Trey Ty and Whaley put him in a bad position for minutes.

Akok would have been a solid and useful player for the upcoming year. Akok could easily have been the starting 4 man next to Sanogo for the upcoming year. However, Hurley's use of him and comments regarding him showed that he had no confidence in Akok.

No way Samson and Karaban are better immediate options than Akok would have been.

Now we all know this was the best thing that happened! Thanks magic for the confirmation.

Reaction Score
If Akok was a better option than Polley or Whaley he would have gotten more minutes than them. It’s not like he didn’t get the opportunity either. He was starting conference games while Sanogo was injured, and he still couldn’t prove that he earned more minutes once Sanogo came back
If this is true that Akok would be better for us come March than Samson or Karaban (or Jackson) than Hurley really messed up.

IMO Samson or Karaban will be much better by March.

Akok had a 2-3 week stretch during his summer AAU circuit that rocketed him up recruiting rankings. Beyond that, he started because we had no talent Hurley’s first year in the front court. His ranking was based on those 3 years and the premise that this incredible athlete can learn to dribble drive and create offense for himself or others to complement his shot blocking and set 3 point shooting. People hoped for a Paskal Siakam like development.

Due to injury and lack of development he has not.

None of the transfers are massive losses in the grand scheme of things. However, out of all the transfers Akok is really the only loss that would have made a difference in the upcoming year.

Akok isn't as bad as he looked this year. He's capable of hitting perimeter shots, run the floor, and block shots. There is a role for him. Hurley favored Whaley and Dagger Trey Ty at the same position Akok competed for minutes, rightfully so as they were more ready players who had proven themselves.

People thought Carlton was terrible also. He transfers to Houston becomes first team all-AAC, and recently named to the all Portsmouth invitational team.

PS: With our current roster at the forward position, there is no way that Akok could not have gotten 20 minutes a game at the 4. He would be competing with Samson who did not play as a freshman, and Karaban a freshman.

Reaction Score
None of the transfers are massive losses in the grand scheme of things. However, out of all the transfers Akok is really the only loss that would have made a difference in the upcoming year.

Akok isn't as bad as he looked this year. He's capable of hitting perimeter shots, run the floor, and block shots. There is a role for him. Hurley favored Whaley and Dagger Trey Ty at the same position Akok competed for minutes, rightfully so as they were more ready players who had proven themselves.

People thought Carlton was terrible also. He transfers to Houston becomes first team all-AAC, and recently named to the all Portsmouth invitational team.

PS: With our current roster at the forward position, there is no way that Akok could not have gotten 20 minutes a game at the 4. He would be competing with Samson who did not play as a freshman, and Karaban a freshman.
I’d have been very surprised if Akok had played more than Floyd this upcoming season. I would have loved to have Akok back and see if he could improve his defense enough to earn some real PT but I think he made the right decision for himself. He needs to go somewhere with a wide open path to PT so he can audition for a future overseas pro career.

Reaction Score
No way Samson and Karaban are better immediate options than Akok would have been.
if this were true then samson or karaban would be in the portal and not akok.

two years removed from his achilles injury and he has still not gotten back to where he was as a freshmen. it's sad but true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Akok left because he'll likely be dead last in the front court rotation next year. I expect Samson to easily be better than him and Karaban, while more of a 3/4 hybrid, will probably be able to contribute off the bench.

Akok was terrible defensively this year. He's not quick off the floor anymore and he's lost a step laterally. He was late on many defensive plays last season. He's a nice bench piece for a team who's thin up front but he wouldn't find PT here next year. It sucks that the injury robbed him of a nice college career but that's the reality of his situation.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

Now this would be ideal. Love Huggins

I think WVU would be a great fit for him. Huggins isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but they have a solid culture in place and play a defense-first style that would suit him. I’d much rather see him land there than Pitt or Georgetown where you have coaches that are almost out the door.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be hilarious to see Akok in a PC uniform block a driving Jackson jam?

I didn't think so either.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> Currently, Akok plans to visit three schools — Georgetown, Pittsburgh and West Virginia. In fact, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins, the soon-to-be Hall of Fame inductee, was slated to have visited Akok on Monday in Storrs for lunch. Georgetown and Pittsburgh were among Akok’s chief suitors three years ago, before he chose UConn. Numerous other schools have called, as well.

“He’s in a good spot,” Pastore promised. <-

Reaction Score
I think WVU would be a great fit for him. Huggins isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but they have a solid culture in place and play a defense-first style that would suit him. I’d much rather see him land there than Pitt or Georgetown where you have coaches that are almost out the door.
I agree with 100% of this post.

To add on, with last year's forwards/bigs of Bridges, Osabuohien, Cottrell, Paulicap, Carrigan and Thweatt are all gone.

Higgins has HUGE holes in his forward spots to fill and it'll be an open competition for PT.

Also, in general, I enjoy watching and rooting for West Virginia, so I'd much rather have Akok Akok there than most if not all of the other options.

Reaction Score
Georgetown hasn't been too good with Ewing but the one area he's done well is developing big men. If Akok goes to Georgetown could see it being a win/win/win. Georgetown gets a solid player, Akok gets to develop under Ewing, UConn gets an extra reason to be excited for Georgetown matchups. Who says no?

Reaction Score
Who has he developed?
Thought he did a pretty good job with Jesse Govan, Qudus Wahab, Ömer Yurtseven, Jamorko Pickett. Maybe not home runs, but could def see Akok picking up more at Georgetown under Ewing as a fresh pair of eyes, than as a 4th season with Hurley.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that planning two trips after visiting Georgetown doesn't bode well for the Hoyas...

Reaction Score
For his sake hopefully, Pitt has been in shambles for years, I'm shocked he'd even consider going there.

Reaction Score
Love Akok, but if he goes to a Big East team, I will definitely not be worried about facing his defense….
He's still very young. He was a good defender as a freshman. I think Hurley didn't trust him to give him enough time. People develop when they see playing time. It would not surprise me at all to see Akok excel defensively at some point

Reaction Score
He's still very young. He was a good defender as a freshman. I think Hurley didn't trust him to give him enough time. People develop when they see playing time. It would not surprise me at all to see Akok excel defensively at some point
Young? He'll be 23 years old before the season starts. I loved his energy and effort but he was too much of a liability for us on the defensive end just getting bullied at times

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom