Akok enters the portal | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Akok enters the portal

Reaction Score
Young? He'll be 23 years old before the season starts. I loved his energy and effort but he was too much of a liability for us on the defensive end just getting bullied at times
That's young. Especially for a kid who has spent 2 years coming back from injury/covid.

Reaction Score
Young? He'll be 23 years old before the season starts. I loved his energy and effort but he was too much of a liability for us on the defensive end just getting bullied at times
It did seem like last year Akok would get pulled out of the game for any mistake he made, where other guys had way longer leashes. That's got to mess with your confidence especially when coming back from injury. Going somewhere and being given a longer leashe might be rough at first but after a couple of games of getting comfortable without having to worry about being yanked from the game instantly could def lead to him figuring it out on the defensive side and becomming a much better player. Not blaming DH at all, UConn wasn't in a situation where they could afford to let a guy figure it out and unfortunately giving him a long leashe wasn't an option based on the players that would have to sit to do that.

Reaction Score
He would've been the oldest player on our roster had he stayed, I'm not sure you know the definition of young
Well, I guess if you're 20, 23 looks old.

Effectively, he's entering his junior year after injuries. He hasn't seen a lot of playing time. If he goes to WV, watch what he does, because development--even at the age of 23--is key.

Anyone who thinks a 23 year old is a finished product on D will have to explain to me how older people develop defensively in the NBA

Even in UConn history, we had several players who were underwhelming as 21 year olds, and only developed defensively as 22s. Gavin Edwards and Hilton Armstrong. Akok is a year behind in his development because of injury.

Reaction Score

Effectively, he's entering his junior year after injuries. He hasn't seen a lot of playing time. If he goes to WV, watch what he does, because development--even at the age of 23--is key.

Anyone who thinks a 23 year old is a finished product on D will have to explain to me how older people develop defensively in the NBA

Don't move the goal posts now... 23 is old for a college basketball player and it seems like Akok has issues bulking up so he will continue to get bullied by stronger players on D which makes him a liability.

Reaction Score

I dont think its a "he cant develop cause he's old" i think its more draft stock and next level. The older you are in college the less valued your skillset is at the next level because a lot of what you are doing on the court is attributed to you being bigger, smarter, and more progressed, than the other guys out there rather than you being better and a higher ceiling

Reaction Score
Don't move the goal posts now... 23 is old for a college basketball player and it seems like Akok has issues bulking up so he will continue to get bullied by stronger players on D which makes him a liability.
So college players are finished products? They don't develop after that?

Reaction Score
I dont think its a "he cant develop cause he's old" i think its more draft stock and next level. The older you are in college the less valued your skillset is at the next level because a lot of what you are doing on the court is attributed to you being bigger, smarter, and more progressed, than the other guys out there rather than you being better and a higher ceiling
I have no idea what his pro potential is. I was just responding to this idea that he was hopeless on defense. I saw enough good things out of him to make me think he could develop into a defensive force. He's not Steven Enoch, in other words (a guy who struggled at both UConn and Louisville).

Reaction Score
So college players are finished products? They don't develop after that?
Never said that. Can Akok put on 30 pounds? If not he will run into the same issues on the defensive end. His instincts are great but the physicality just isn't there.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what his pro potential is. I was just responding to this idea that he was hopeless on defense. I saw enough good things out of him to make me think he could develop into a defensive force. He's not Steven Enoch, in other words (a guy who struggled at both UConn and Louisville).
100% Not necesarily saying NBA either, overseas still pros. I think he could figure it out on defense, just needs to go somewhere that will be able to give him the time to do it. Love the guy, but if UConn thinks they can't sacrifice those in-game minutes to a project on defense, its definitely understandable. And its definitely understandable for him to wnat to go somewhere that can offer him that

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's still very young. He was a good defender as a freshman. I think Hurley didn't trust him to give him enough time. People develop when they see playing time. It would not surprise me at all to see Akok excel defensively at some point
Statistically he was even very good defensively last year. I know people complain about his man defense, but he was an exceptional team defender and the metrics bear that out. Bailed out other people all the time. I am confident he will be very good next season.

Reaction Score
Never said that. Can Akok put on 30 pounds? If not he will run into the same issues on the defensive end. His instincts are great but the physicality just isn't there.
I'm not making the case for him being an NBA guy. I don't actually think he will.

It's not even the point.

There are plenty of 210 power forwards in college basketball.

We've had a lot of them here in fact.

From Roscoe Smith to Freeman to Hilton to several others.

Reaction Score
23 is old for a college athlete. That does not mean they can’t develop, but to claim 23 is not old in college athletics today is just arguing to argue or denying reality.
I actually wrote he's still young, but this board excels at twisting things

Reaction Score
I'm not making the case for him being an NBA guy. I don't actually think he will.

It's not even the point.

There are plenty of 210 power forwards in college basketball.

We've had a lot of them here in fact.

From Roscoe Smith to Freeman to Hilton to several others.
Roscoe transferred because he didn't get PT
Kevin Freeman was a muscular 240 and played very physical unlike Akok
Hilton Armstrong was a 6'11 240

Reaction Score
Says the guy who took a post saying 23 is old for college basketball and turned it into a post saying Akok will never develop his game
uhhh...he literally said the exact opposite "He's still very young. He was a good defender as a freshman." and "saw enough good things out of him to make me think he could develop into a defensive force."

Reaction Score
Says the guy who took a post saying 23 is old for college basketball and turned it into a post saying Akok will never develop his game
This board never ceases to amaze.

I was the one that said he was young. Not young for college basketball. Why would I write that? Stop it. He responded to me. Not the reverse.

Reaction Score
Roscoe transferred cause he didn't get enough PT? Roscoe transferred cause the team was going through turmoil at that point, he went on to average over 10 rebounds a game at UNLV so point still stands that he was a very compotenet and very good PF

Reaction Score
Roscoe was an excellent defender. That's my point. Even at his weight. Hilton is listed as a 235 pound 30 year old in my search just now. What was he as sophomore or junior at UConn? I know he had a lot more definition by the time he left. I seem to remember him as pretty skinny kid early on.

Reaction Score
uhhh...he literally said the exact opposite "He's still very young. He was a good defender as a freshman." and "saw enough good things out of him to make me think he could develop into a defensive force."

This board never ceases to amaze.

I was the one that said he was young. Not young for college basketball. Why would I write that? Stop it. He responded to me. Not the reverse.
Yes that's exactly my point, you took NotADime's post where he said 23 is old for college basketball and suggested that he said Akok is done developing

Reaction Score
Yes that's exactly my point, you took NotADime's post where he said 23 is old for college basketball and suggested that he said Akok is done developing
Another twisted perspective. I was the one who said 23 is still young. And I didn't say it was young for college basketball. He can still develop. To counter that meant he can't. Ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom