Akok enters the portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Akok enters the portal

Reaction Score
I missed that, too.
Looks like it just happened within the past hour. Just searched it on Twitter to make sure I wasn't imagining the Penn State visit with everything that's happened this week

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Akok leaving is sad but people blaming Hurley for not playing him are insane. You wanted him playing over Whaley? Over Polley? Whaley played 28.5 mpg. Sanogo 30. That's 22 minutes available at the 4/5 and every time Akok had to defend in the post he got bullied. So call that 15 mpg assuming Whaley can take some of Sanogos minutes. Where in the world did people expect Akok to be played more?
Its sad he couldn't become what he was projected but that in NO WAY is on Hurley and is entirely on injuries.
Yes and yes. He was much, much better than Polley on defense, rebounding and nearly as effective for spacing. Polley shouldn't have played a single minute as a 4. Whaley needed to play some as a 4, but should mostly have been a backup 5. Playing him with Sanogo created lots of issues on offense. You think Polley is a better post defender than Akok? Akok got bullied at times because Hurley insisted on playing him as a 5. Just utter mismanagement.

Reaction Score
He's visiting UMass and URI and odds are he goes to one of those. Those are not P5 schools. He doesn't have any P5 schools even considering him
They will certainly let Sool get into the pool.

Reaction Score
Really? So far we lost 8.2 points/game to transfers. I'd lose sleep if today was 10/13 but it's not, it's 4/13
New pieces, different/new options, new combinations especially with a new point guard. To me we are a year away.

Its good to know everyone is scheduled to return if that can be said with a straight face.

Reaction Score
If I was Samson, I might consider it too. With Clingan backing up Sanogo he will play as much as last year.
Samson is the starter at the 4 next year. Why do you think Akok hit the portal? Thanks for your input there Bill Bob. Are from near Canada?

Reaction Score
Huh? Most of the points are gone with the guys who graduated, four of them who played a lot. When that happens, the younger guys now play more and replace those points. When you lose those guys too, it is a problem.
I agree with notadime. DH wants to win a national championship and the guys leaving were not going to get us one. Especially if they are not going to fight for playing time

Reaction Score
AA was going up against the guys everyday who he would be competing with for PT next season.. SJ/AK.. DH said he and Gaff were at a crossroads re: their future PT based on their performance. Handwriting on the wall. He's moving on..

Hope he can continue to get stronger and find a BB home to maximize his potential.Too bad about the injury. Good kid. Wish him well.

Reaction Score
I think many of this could have called this in January.. I vent about DH's rotations to my wife (a rabid Duke fan ugh) and she always says, players play if they deserve it and if they are going to help a team..

Unfortunately, there were character / accepting coaching issues with AA all the way back to Putnam Science Academy. He was a huge fan favorite and I loved him, will always remember that million dollar smile after his run against Xavier last year.

At the end of the day, we lose these 4 players, and replace them with Newton, Rainey or Young or ?, and a Castle reclassify? We're MORE than okay.

Reaction Score
New pieces, different/new options, new combinations especially with a new point guard. To me we are a year away.

Its good to know everyone is scheduled to return if that can be said with a straight face.
Depends on how guard situation unfolds. If we bring in someone plug and play (we've seen it done before all over the place, literally in this last tournament), all good with building around that player and (gulp): Hawkins, Jackson, Karaban, Samson, Sanogo, Clingan. If new guys as advertised.

We asked about Diggins and why wasn't playing all year and told repeatedly by people here if he could play, he would. Majority of people saying Gaffney was an 11th guy on a typical UConn team. Akok was a backup running out of time that Samson should have been pushing out. Corey is a mystery for me. Never saw him play. I assumed his play in practice was what pushed out Diggins and Gaffney, guess that was wrong!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
100%. People are obsessed with having guys not transfer even if said guys were not playable. It makes no sense. It's like they see the word "transfer," immediately blame Hurley, and don't look at a second of the film on them as players.

Sool is not going to a better spot. He's going to end up at UMass or URI. if Sool was going to BE/P5 school, you can complain.
CFJ's list is a fair mix but I wouldn't say any school is better than us, most are worst.
Haven't even seen a Gaff list but can't imagine it goes higher than the A-10...

Until the guys transferring are routinely equal/better places than us, can we just acknowledge that some guys just don't have the skill/effort to play here? Hurley, like Calhoun, isn't for everyone. If you're soft (and not saying any of these guys are), you're going to leave.
'Until the guys transferring are routinely equal/better places than us,'

Houston and Texas A&M had better years than us, and aren't one year shade and fade schools.
they also have bigtime football programs.
that would be two in evidence.
this crew vamoosing haven't told us their destinantions yet, but with the few to date (adams, jb, sid, josh) it's a bit early to make assumptions on 'routinely,' especially since the facts at hand are undeterminative.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Until the guys transferring are routinely equal/better places than us,'

Houston and Texas A&M had better years than us, and aren't one year shade and fade schools.
they also have bigtime football programs.
that would be two in evidence.
this crew vamoosing haven't told us their destinantions yet, but with the few to date (adams, jb, sid, josh) it's a bit early to make assumptions on 'routinely,' especially since the facts at hand are undeterminative.
hey wait! i just realized that i forgot aboot sid in the great calculus!
now i've lost track, but i know it makes the list now swimming up into the double digits. yikes!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Texas A&M didn't even make the NCAA tournament. What are you talking about?
A&M beat Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas, on the way to losing in the SEC championship game to Tennessee.
then,
they lost to xavier by a point in the NIT Championship.

speaking on behalf of normal fans the world over, a better season, and its not even close.
ur starting to smell from mothballs. u also may be afflicted by Texas Blindness, which is mos def a thing around these parts. joshy went to hooston, another lone star program that had an awesome season. ya know, as a fan would think.

Reaction Score
A&M beat Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas, on the way to losing in the SEC championship game to Tennessee.
then,
they lost to xavier by a point in the NIT Championship.

speaking on behalf of normal fans the world over, a better season, and its not even close.
ur starting to smell from mothballs.
It's so hard to tell whether it's trolling or actual delusion.

Reaction Score
I think many of this could have called this in January.. I vent about DH's rotations to my wife (a rabid Duke fan ugh) and she always says, players play if they deserve it and if they are going to help a team..

Unfortunately, there were character / accepting coaching issues with AA all the way back to Putnam Science Academy. He was a huge fan favorite and I loved him, will always remember that million dollar smile after his run against Xavier last year.

At the end of the day, we lose these 4 players, and replace them with Newton, Rainey or Young or ?, and a Castle reclassify? We're MORE than okay.
I’ve literally never once heard anyone say Akok had character or coaching issues. Where did you even hear that from? Or is it just a crazy boneyard rumor someone with zero knowledge said

Reaction Score
I’ve literally never once heard anyone say Akok had character or coaching issues. Where did you even hear that from? Or is it just a crazy boneyard rumor someone with zero knowledge said
I know the coaching staff at PSA. It's been talked about not sure if it's been written about. Definitely didn't make this up.

Chill out dude.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know the coaching staff at PSA. It's been talked about not sure if it's been written about. Definitely didn't make this up.

Chill out dude.
Where has an article about Akok’s character being called into question ever been written? I’d like to read about it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
100%. People are obsessed with having guys not transfer even if said guys were not playable. It makes no sense. It's like they see the word "transfer," immediately blame Hurley, and don't look at a second of the film on them as players.

Sool is not going to a better spot. He's going to end up at UMass or URI. if Sool was going to BE/P5 school, you can complain.
CFJ's list is a fair mix but I wouldn't say any school is better than us, most are worst.
Haven't even seen a Gaff list but can't imagine it goes higher than the A-10...

Until the guys transferring are routinely equal/better places than us, can we just acknowledge that some guys just don't have the skill/effort to play here? Hurley, like Calhoun, isn't for everyone. If you're soft (and not saying any of these guys are), you're going to leave.
I think it was fair to wonder about Hurley a little bit given the mass exodus of players. I don’t think anyone was calling for his firing, but the normal reaction is “what the heck is going on?”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be fair, Sool is going to end up at a P5 school. It's just still going to be a step down and to a perennial losing team in Penn State
Still, it’s a good school in a D1 program. That would be a great landing spot for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom