Akok Akok's defensive presents will make us an elite team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok's defensive presents will make us an elite team

Reaction Score
At the very least, he’ll give us a few minutes of rim protection, rebounding, and energy. If he’s playing well or his skill set is a good fit for a particular game, maybe we’ll get more from him. If he struggles or it’s a bad matchup, then he’ll have less of a role. I think we’re a solid team without him and I don’t want him to jeopardize his future by rushing him, so I view anything he gives us as a bonus. I want to see him return for his own sake more than anything. He seems like a great kid who is anxious to play again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Excited to get Akok back because I believe they will need to go bigger to create mismatches more often than not. Plus the depth improves on the baseline. If he can shoot it better it will be a major lift and make Danny play even less of the 3 guard lineups we’ve seen a little too much of.
Imagining Brendan Adams’ minutes going to Akok...wow

Reaction Score
Didn't Hurley say that Akok's return was going to be pushed back because of the 2 shutdowns and missed practices? Just curious as to where all the, Marquette game, return to play hope is coming from.

Reaction Score
Didn't Hurley say that Akok's return was going to be pushed back because of the 2 shutdowns and missed practices? Just curious as to where all the, Marquette game, return to play hope is coming from.
He said he'll play one of the next few Big East games in January, Marquette game seems overly optimistic though

Reaction Score
Adam’s and/or Gaffney. Depending on which might be playing well or not.
Akok could spell Whaley since Whaley so far, seems to be foul prone. Akok has(had) somewhat similar skills to Whaley as far as mobility goes. Will have to see how he plays coming back from an injury and if he has the confidence and fluidity he showed last year.

Not sure it is a quid pro quo, with Akok for Adams or Gaffney. They have different skill sets. Unless Akok suddenly has developed ball handling skills, you need ball handlers who can push the pace. Then again, if Akok shows ability hitting 3's or just in scoring period, he will have to play more.

Cole needs a break when running the point and Gaffney more or less fills that role. Adams more of a 2 or 3 with occasional flashes of offense.

Reaction Score
Akok could spell Whaley since Whaley so far, seems to be foul prone. Akok has(had) somewhat similar skills to Whaley as far as mobility goes. Will have to see how he plays coming back from an injury and if he has the confidence and fluidity he showed last year.

Not sure it is a quid pro quo, with Akok for Adams or Gaffney. They have different skill sets. Unless Akok suddenly has developed ball handling skills, you need ball handlers who can push the pace. Then again, if Akok shows ability hitting 3's or just in scoring period, he will have to play more.

Cole needs a break when running the point and Gaffney more or less fills that role. Adams more of a 2 or 3 with occasional flashes of offense.

Oh I think I do know it's different skill sets by no means do I mean he's coming in to play guard. What it is doing is making us throw a match up issue at the other team with size by taking Gaffney/Adams out of a lineup which has Cole/Bouk/one of them. I don't like our 3 guard lineup with Bouk at the 3 too often I feel he handles it plenty well for the 2 with Cole then you can have Martin/Polley with Akok/Whaley/Calton and get bigger instead of constantly playing with 3 smalls some of which can't make a play. Rather have a big who can't handle it well but can block shots, maybe get put backs and rebound the basketball.

I agree on pushing the pace but only a couple of guys do that - Cole a little, Bouk a lot and even Martin. Adams will run out occasionally also but his decisions are scary like Gaffney. Again, not saying subbing position for position but bringing in a line up that will be more impactful. This cold change in certain match ups, but why not change the match up they way we would like? I do remember Akok was a great finisher when running he beat people down the court even after blocks and rebounds. We can still run with him and Whaley at 4/5 they are athletic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom