Akok Akok's defensive presents will make us an elite team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok's defensive presents will make us an elite team

Reaction Score
Excited to get Akok back because I believe they will need to go bigger to create mismatches more often than not. Plus the depth improves on the baseline. If he can shoot it better it will be a major lift and make Danny play even less of the 3 guard lineups we’ve seen a little too much of.

Reaction Score
Deep team if more guys find some consistency
still pretty deep even if they dont. gaff, adams, and polley are contributing as little as we could have imagined yet theyre still getting plenty of PT. they can only improve (i hope)

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Are we ever gonna see Richie Springs?
Interesting to me springs hasn't played much. I had heard he was a tenacious rebounder. Thought he would be an impactful addition this year. I had honestly forgotten about him until he went in at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Interesting to me springs hasn't played much. I had heard he was a tenacious rebounder. Thought he would be an impactful addition this year. I had honestly forgotten about him until he went in at the end of the game.
Springs might very well be an excellent rebounder, but we’re also second in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage right now.

Reaction Score
This year, no. Our front court is way too deep already, and that's with Sanogo barely playing and Akok injured.
He will begin next season with four years of eligibility.. Any PT this year is gravy.. Another year of growth and excellent competition in practice and Coach Mike..

Reaction Score
I think he will be a nice PF "secret but not so secret weapon on the bench"...."ferrari idling in the garage" we can bring in to change the tempo of the game if the first 10-12 minutes aren't going our way.

Reaction Score
We’re already the best defensive team in conference and we don’t even have this defensive freak yet. Scary.
AND AJX has yet to grasp this level of play. If we get a full season we are scary good defensively come tournament time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I just hope he returns healthy and healed because it's an injury that has a reputation of having issues/reoccurring IF not healed completely
He is an important part of this team and his length can cause all sorts of problems for opponents, plus his motor was and hopefully will be at ultra high

Reaction Score
He and Tyrese will provide a lot of versatility at the 4 rotation. Tyrese being comfortable in a 30mpg role will let Akok really work his way back too--I'm sure he'll be on a minutes restriction.
Clever

Reaction Score
Akok has also logged many minutes at the five. Whaley has gotten minutes at the four and the five. My point is that Sanogo needs to see the floor to get better. Working Akok back in slowly will help Sanogo while protecting Akok. Keep your eyes on March.
Let’s get it done sooner

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Hope to see him in uniform at Marquette.
His defensive presents will make us an elite team.

Please expand your thread title to say what will be discussed.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Remember at the beginning of last year teams were afraid to put up anything within 10 feet. The problem is that he is a little bit of liability on offense.

C

Chief00

I think we need to temper our expectations. He had a serious injury and not a normal rehab with Corona.
I agree. I am not actually expecting much from him this season, especially given the unusual nature of the season.

Reaction Score
Looks to me like DH is really taking the long view perspective with AA.. With his best interests in mind for his BB career after college. Early in his UConn career (pre-injury/pre-COVID)..AA had expressed an interest in getting to the next level as soon as he could.. Then "stuff" happened..

Getting his body strong.. Getting his confidence back.. Improving his strength and ball skills.. Will pay dividends for him in the future..

The emergence of TM as a viable situational alternative at the 4 takes some of the pressure off of rushing him back..

Would be great for the Program if he is able to give us some productive minutes as we get into the middle of our BE season and as we position ourselves for the BE Tournament and May Madness.

Reaction Score
I hope we have more blowout wins the rest of the way so guys like Springs and Javonte Brown can see some minutes because we are going to have to depend on them next season. IDK how the roster is going to pan out with the NCAA giving Senior's and extra year of eligibility? But right now we have to assume that Whaley and Carlton will be gone next year and that leaves Akok, Sanogo, Martin, Springs, and Javonte as the big guys on the roster for 21-22. Javonte is a guy that came in with a decent amount of hype, but he essentially has not played at all so far.
Fair point.
It's a challenge giving guys like JB and Springs minutes when they're probably not ready for Big East level competition.

But with new transfer rules in place (no sit out year), it increases the likelihood of highly rated kids who don't receive early minutes to adopt the "grass is greener elsewhere" mentality. I have no reason to believe that would occur here; just speaking broadly.

Reaction Score
I think Marquette is a good game to work him in. Garcia is a stretch 4 and would be a good matchup for him.

C

Chief00

Is it the beginning or closer to the middle of the season? I have no clue given the unusual nature of this season. Have we developed any chemistry, we would be interrupting?
Let’s also remember Polley’s recovery was understood to be further along on the timeline than Akok’s.
Always open to upside pleasant surprises, but Chief is not forcing things here. Take what the game gives you , don’t force situations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom