Akok achilles | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Akok achilles

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m no doctor but I’ve seen this described as a fairly rare injury for a young athlete, and also a devastating one for older athletes (in their 30s). So I’m hoping that Akok has some advantage in recovery as a young guy. Rudy Gay is cited as a guy who came back pretty successfully. Dominique Wilkins was perhaps most successful. Others like Cousins and Kobe not so great.
I am, it is, and he does. It really depends on how well it heals, and once healed enough how well the strength returns. I’ve got a 32 year old guy who I fixed about 5 months ago who is back running, with no restrictions in the weight room now. That’s what you hope for, and it’s more likely in younger guys. Typically you want that at 6 months. The most important thing is not to push too hard in the first 3 months. The hardest thing to get back is the explosiveness.

Reaction Score
I am, it is, and he does. It really depends on how well it heals, and once healed enough how well the strength returns. I’ve got a 32 year old guy who I fixed about 5 months ago who is back running, with no restrictions in the weight room now. That’s what you hope for, and it’s more likely in younger guys. Typically you want that at 6 months. The most important thing is not to push too hard in the first 3 months. The hardest thing to get back is the explosiveness.
Do you think his anatomical structure (long tibia, very lean muscular build, etc) would have any impact on his prognosis? Being only 200lbs requires less force generation to be explosive but I’m wondering if his LE strength was just weaker to begin with.

Akok turns 21 in October so if he redshirts he’ll be 22 before he sees live action again. Hopefully that won’t factor in to his decision making process when it comes to deciding whether to redshirt or try for a comeback in the 2nd half of next season.

Reaction Score
I nominate Dr Hoop to perform the surgery.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Worst thing about this is he loses his offseason. That really sets him back, especially for a guy that needs those reps so badly

Reaction Score
My brother is a doctor (DPT) and echoed this. He also mentioned that given Akok’s build it’s about the worst injury he could’ve suffered as a basketball player.
Wonderful.
What about his build makes it worse exactly? I ignorantly assumed not having a lot of weight to put on it was a good thing

Reaction Score
What about his build makes it worse exactly? I ignorantly assumed not having a lot of weight to put on it was a good thing

maybe how long the lower part of his legs are? I don’t know, I’m ignorant too

Reaction Score
Scratch that. He said it doesn’t really matter his built. For some reason I thought I heard him say that.

Reaction Score
My prediction is that he’s out for all of 2020-21 and 2021-22 will be his final season.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, and this is not a criticism of anyone, we should look at pre game stretching and warmups to see if there is anything we could do better. The fact this happened early in the game, to me, draws attention to this aspect.

Reaction Score
When I watched the opening tip, I thought he came down a little funny or seemed to limp slightly immediately afterward- but, then I thought it was the other foot & not the one that had Achilles injury. The injury happened so fast at game's beginning, maybe my mind is saying they were connected

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, and this is not a criticism of anyone, we should look at pre game stretching and warmups to see if there is anything we could do better. The fact this happened early in the game, to me, draws attention to this aspect.
Interesting point. Just to add to - and again no criticism or really any knowledge on my part about this type of injury, but I am also curious what caused it. Looking at the replay it didn’t seem like there was anything unusual about the play or how he landed etc. It looked like a normal basketball play. When guys go down with knees or ankles, you can usually see some kind of trauma to the injured area. Really sad for such a good kid. I hope he comes back as strong as he was before the injury.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Akok
Put Rudy Gay on speed dial! What ever he did post op you should do. I would also check in with Durant. Both are similar in body type so I would titrate between what the two of them are doing.

Reaction Score

Be sure to call Sal and the athletic training staff and tell them to get on that.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Worst thing about this is he loses his offseason. That really sets him back, especially for a guy that needs those reps so badly
On the other hand he gets an extra year to work on his upper body. Not much of a consolation prize but it’s something. I’m praying for the kid.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Do you think his anatomical structure (long tibia, very lean muscular build, etc) would have any impact on his prognosis? Being only 200lbs requires less force generation to be explosive but I’m wondering if his LE strength was just weaker to begin with.

Akok turns 21 in October so if he redshirts he’ll be 22 before he sees live action again. Hopefully that won’t factor in to his decision making process when it comes to deciding whether to redshirt or try for a comeback in the 2nd half of next season.
With his thin legs his Achilles is probably fairly skinny also. It may have been a factor in tearing it, but once they are repaired the healed tendon is usually much thicker. Sometimes double the uninjured side. With a stronger lower body and legs you can train better mechanics landing from jumps (you want the muscles to absorb the shock) but the hard court and explosive jumping takes a toll.

C

Chief00

Stretching! Damn. If only the athletic training professionals had thought of that.
But was it adequate, not done too early, was his body warmed up, etc? These are things smart people would explore and learn from. You can’t avoid all injures but you should be constantly learning and trying to minimize injury risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
But was it adequate, not done too early, was his body warmed up. etc. These are things smart people would explore and learn from. You can’t avoid all injures but you should be constantly learning and trying to minimize them.
Good god. If he broke a bone would you complain they weren’t giving him enough milk?? There’s no blame for an Achilles. It just happened. It sucks. Of all the crazy things you’ve said on this board.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom