Akok achilles | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Akok achilles

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Question: Can you make it worse or is it already as bad as it's going to get?
If it's completely severed nothing left to damage. My bro-in-laws took months to migrate back down (it rolls up on calf like a shade) and attach itself.

Reaction Score
I'm distraught for this kid. Family from a war-torn country, essentially twice a refugee, living in not the nicest spot in cold New Hampshire. Had a chance to rewrite history for his family only for this to happen. Not fair man. Please please come back 100%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kobe returned after 8 months I believe. I've heard the hard part is rebuilding the calf muscle because of how much atrophy occurs with 3 months of non-movement. It will of course depend on the surgeon and some other factors.
From what I understand, Akok is smart and very motivated. It sucks that it happened. But I expect him be back and be back strong.
The surgery/recovery has taken many step forwards since Dan Marino tore his.

Reaction Score
But how does that relate to an Achilles injury? Aren't ACL and Achilles 2 totally different injuries?

My understanding was they are basically the same muscle but to be honest I don't know. Regardless, I was highlighting the point that Akok is gonna be out a while.

Reaction Score
Kobe returned after 8 months I believe. I've heard the hard part is rebuilding the calf muscle because of how much atrophy occurs with 3 months of non-movement. It will of course depend on the surgeon and some other factors.
From what I understand, Akok is smart and very motivated. It sucks that it happened. But I expect him be back and be back strong.
The surgery/recovery has taken many step forwards since Dan Marino tore his.

I can second the calf thing. My calf is so screwed in my right leg right now. He has a journey ahead for sure. I'll be praying for the Young man.

Reaction Score
The Achilles connects your calf muscle to the heel. The ACL connects bones in your knee. They are in different areas and different kinds of body parts...

Thanks for the edification

Reaction Score
From what I understand
That’s why it hit him so hard. He knows the implications
My understanding was they are basically the same muscle but to be honest I don't know. Regardless, I was highlighting the point that Akok is gonna be out a while.
lol neither are muscles. They are tendons.

Reaction Score
During grad school, I tore my Achilles running down court playing in a scrimmage at NYU. Funny thing was I felt no pain but the way my foot was moving like jelly told me that it was serious. I was able to put weight on it and ended up hobbling to Urgent Care on campus. I had surgery and had to wear a cast and walking boot for almost 6 months.
The hard part for the kid is still to come. I never felt great pain or anything but the mental aspect of this injury can be tough, and it can take a while to feel comfortable going all out physically. Running, cutting, jumping, all the above.
Funniest thing I remember is discussing the prognosis with my doctor at the time, and I said to him, "typically professional athletes take about a year to recover right"? And he gives me a look and says, "You're no professional athlete". Ouch.
All jokes aside, that was quite a few years ago so maybe they've made some advancements and this kid can come back strong. He's still young and a hard worker, so I'd put my money on that happening. Prayers.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If it was a total tear, he would be at the hospital and not allowed to wait around. There are internal bleed issues that need to be managed as soon as possible to limit surrounding tissue damage, as well as DVT clot risks with a rupture. Thus, hoping partial tear or strain.
Not really. Achilles are often sent home, surgery arranged within a relatively short period of time, usually 5-10 days. Once the patient is in a boot and able to get around, with or without crutches, it's urgent but not emergent.

Reaction Score
What worries me is Akok’s build/playing style (agile stretch 4). Kevin Durant is the closest comparison I can think of. Akok is very tall with long thin legs and not a lot of muscle mass so it’s not like he has these diesel calf muscles and body weight generating excessive force through his Achilles as he runs/jumps/cuts. For it to just blow out on him is very disconcerting - I hope his youth and the medical staff can help him defy the odds and get back to 100%. His ability to be that mobile and agile at that size is what made him an NBA talent.

Reaction Score
What worries me is Akok’s build/playing style (agile stretch 4). Kevin Durant is the closest comparison I can think of. Akok is very tall with long thin legs and not a lot of muscle mass so it’s not like he has these diesel calf muscles and body weight generating excessive force through his Achilles as he runs/jumps/cuts. For it to just blow out on him is very disconcerting - I hope his youth and the medical staff can help him defy the odds and get back to 100%. His ability to be that mobile and agile at that size is what made him an NBA talent.
I was trying to think thru this as well. KD seems to be the closest “body comp” I could come up with for Akok who suffered the same injury as well. I also thought of Richard Sherman and Rudy Gay. Obviously AA is way taller, leaner, and longer, but Sherman seemed to respond well to his post surgery play. He’s a “longer, leaner” type of athlete. Hoping he responds well to the surgery and really pulling for the kid.

Reaction Score
Umm, not according to medical literature. But, what do I know.

Your medical literature is wrong or exaggerating (which it does many times for medical legal purposes).

Reaction Score
Hurley called out the silver lining. About the only thing you can do while recovering from Achilles is work out your upper body, get in the gym and get shots up, and have faith in the rehab process

Good Luck Cook

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but in hindsight this injury was painfully obvious to see coming. As the season wore on the wear was obviously taking a toll on Akok he started nursing a bunch of minor injuries, wasn’t sprinting back anymore, looked like a shell of his early season self. Part of this is unfortunately is his body type, when he gets back we’re going to have to be mindful of his minutes, put him on some kind of load management schedule.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this but in hindsight this injury was painfully obvious to see coming. As the season wore on the wear was obviously taking a toll on Akok he started nursing a bunch of minor injuries, wasn’t sprinting back anymore, looked like a shell of his early season self. Part of this is unfortunately is his body type, when he gets back we’re going to have to be mindful of his minutes, put him on some kind of load management schedule.
I know its impossible to say for sure, but it was reported the Akok had been dealing with a knee issue IIRC. Is it possible that could have led to his injury today in some way?

Reaction Score
Your medical literature is wrong or exaggerating (which it does many times for medical legal purposes).
I don’t know. What I understand is that the best protocol is to administer a blood thinner to avoid potential clotting and there are cases of death from clots when the Achilles’ tendon bursts. Could be over the top. My only point is I would think if it was a total tear they wouldn’t mess around and would get it looked at rather than let him hang around. I just hope it’s not as bad as the media is calling it.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Pulling for Akok to come back stronger through his work ethic. This will be part of his narrative leading to his eventual ascendance and stardom, with hard work being the key element to his success.

Reaction Score
As Hurley has said , that’s one serious dude, he’ll be back stronger than ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom