Akok achilles | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Akok achilles

Reaction Score
With his thin legs his Achilles is probably fairly skinny also. It may have been a factor in tearing it, but once they are repaired the healed tendon is usually much thicker. Sometimes double the uninjured side.

What I heard:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tearing an Achilles is basically just bad luck.

Just like tearing an ACL, spraining an ankle, getting a flat tire or stubbing your little toe.

These things will always happen to someone. If they were actually preventable, they would never happen to elite athletes.

Reaction Score
With his thin legs his Achilles is probably fairly skinny also. It may have been a factor in tearing it, but once they are repaired the healed tendon is usually much thicker. Sometimes double the uninjured side. With a stronger lower body and legs you can train better mechanics landing from jumps (you want the muscles to absorb the shock) but the hard court and explosive jumping takes a toll.

I'm curious how this repair is done.
Is the tendon normally frayed and must be trimmed? How is it re-attached?
What makes it become thicker? What is the major concern in rehabbing it? Is it the tendon must be stretched carefully and slowly or is it the potential for the repaired area to fail?
Thanks, that ought to cover it.;)

C

Chief00

Good god. If he broke a bone would you complain they weren’t giving him enough milk?? There’s no blame for an Achilles. It just happened. It sucks. Of all the crazy things you’ve said on this board.......
You obviously have no clue. I haven‘t talked to Coach Hurley about this recent incident but knowing how he handles things to constantly trying to improve, of course he will take a look at this to see if we can do anything better in the future. The nature of your personality turns to looking at this as a blame game. In all due respect, that’s not how smart people react, but they most definitely look and say is there anything we can do to reduce the risk of this in the future, especially early in games. There is a reason many good programs have comprehensive stretching regiments before games. Being a casual fan, I suggest you go to a game an hour or so early, it would be a real eye opener for you to see what certain teams do in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Just woke up to this news and thinking about it he must have been in some kind of pain when sitting on the bench in a boot! He is one tough young man! As far as surgery goes I hope he goes to the best like HSS.

Reaction Score
I am, it is, and he does. It really depends on how well it heals, and once healed enough how well the strength returns. I’ve got a 32 year old guy who I fixed about 5 months ago who is back running, with no restrictions in the weight room now. That’s what you hope for, and it’s more likely in younger guys. Typically you want that at 6 months. The most important thing is not to push too hard in the first 3 months. The hardest thing to get back is the explosiveness.
5 months? That’s a super aggressive timeline for that injury. There not much precedent for that timeline in pro athletes w ruptures. I ruptured mine about a year ago (college sports days are over), and it’s a tough climb back. Not just physically, but psychologically as well.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how this repair is done.
Is the tendon normally frayed and must be trimmed? How is it re-attached?
What makes it become thicker? What is the major concern in rehabbing it? Is it the tendon must be stretched carefully and slowly or is it the potential for the repaired area to fail?
Thanks, that ought to cover it.;)

Here is a link that show animations on the 2 most common ways to repair it. We used to always repair it using the first open repair method which is tried and true. The second animation is a newer technique which I personally have had fantastic results with and is pushing to the new gold standard. The complete percutaneous technique is falling out of favor due to a higher risk of nerve injury. The second link shows the mini open how most of us do it with a small transverse incision.

Achilles Tendon Rupture Repair with Arthrex® PARS System

Reaction Score
Here is a link that show animations on the 2 most common ways to repair it. We used to always repair it using the first open repair method which is tried and true. The second animation is a newer technique which I personally have had fantastic results with and is pushing to the new gold standard. The complete percutaneous technique is falling out of favor due to a higher risk of nerve injury. The second link shows the mini open how most of us do it with a small transverse incision.

Total layman question here. For the mini open technique, how does the tendon like... stay together? Will the 2 broken pieces mend themselves back together when put in place like that? Did some reading on the mini open technique, hope that's the route he goes.

Reaction Score

Very interesting. Does this somehow keep the tendon at the same length it was or does the body take care of that. Someone said it heals thicker.

Reaction Score
I am, it is, and he does. It really depends on how well it heals, and once healed enough how well the strength returns. I’ve got a 32 year old guy who I fixed about 5 months ago who is back running, with no restrictions in the weight room now. That’s what you hope for, and it’s more likely in younger guys. Typically you want that at 6 months. The most important thing is not to push too hard in the first 3 months. The hardest thing to get back is the explosiveness.
@doctorhoop.Is it possible with an achilles that there was an original minor tear or strain that finally tore through ?
If so, wondering if he originally damaged it in Charleston when he wasn’t let back in the game because of lower leg strain. He also was gimpy at other times the last 3-4 weeks Which the staff monitored.

I would have thought that the medical staff would have already done an MRI previously to see what was going on. Also, if there was a “slight tear” could a doctor determine that an athlete can play on if they didn’t determine it to be serious ?
Ive had both knees surgically repaired and one was a complete tear that had to be repaired soon after the injury while my other knee didn’t have as serious as a tear and I waited over a year to have it repaired and in that time I was able to do physical activity including running and jumping.

Thanks in advance.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You obviously have no clue. I haven‘t talked to Coach Hurley about this recent incident but knowing how he handles things to constantly trying to improve, of course he will take a look at this to see if we can do anything better in the future. The nature of your personality turns to looking at this as a blame game. In all due respect, that’s not how smart people react, but they most definitely look and say is there anything we can do to reduce the risk of this in the future, especially early in games. There is a reason many good programs have comprehensive stretching regiments before games. Being a casual fan, I suggest you go to a game an hour or so early, it would be a real eye opener for you to see what certain teams do in this regard.

I can assure this site that you’ve never had a a meaningful private convo with coach.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, and this is not a criticism of anyone, we should look at pre game stretching and warmups to see if there is anything we could do better. The fact this happened early in the game, to me, draws attention to this aspect.
You spent a lot of cycles educating the board in years past that the prior regime spent too much time emphasizing flexibility and not strength. Now we aren’t emphasizing flexibility enough. It’s almost like you set up these “heads you lose, tails I win” scenarios to make yourself appear smrt.

:(

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You spent a lot of cycles educating the board in years past that the prior regime spent too much time emphasizing flexibility and not strength. Now we aren’t emphasizing flexibility enough. It’s almost like you set up these “heads you lose, tails I win” scenarios to make yourself appear smrt.

:(

Almost?

Reaction Score
I am a big fan of both of these young men...and the sorcerer that is putting it all together.

Reaction Score
Yes, I talked to Sal yesterday and he has devised a new Achilles stretching exercise to go into effect immediately. He has also taken all blame for the incident and promises to do better in the future.

Let us know how your conversation w Coach Hurley goes. We will all be waiting w baited breath.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom