Akok achilles | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Akok achilles

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m no doctor but I’ve seen this described as a fairly rare injury for a young athlete, and also a devastating one for older athletes (in their 30s). So I’m hoping that Akok has some advantage in recovery as a young guy. Rudy Gay is cited as a guy who came back pretty successfully. Dominique Wilkins was perhaps most successful. Others like Cousins and Kobe not so great.

Reaction Score
The guy on the bench I was watching most closely (aside from Akok) was Diarra. He was pretty subtle and stoic, but you could see he was deeply upset. If anyone in the program knows the worst case scenario in terms of an injury, it's him.

Both of them came from Putnam Science Academy, I'm sure Diarra will play a huge part in his keeping him focused during rehab, physically and mentally.

Reaction Score
Here is some data from this article:

It can be devastating, but there isn't much of a track record for players as young as Akok recovering from an achilles injury. There is certain reason to believe that he is more likely to recover due to his youth. Let's hope that's the case. Basketball aside, he seems like a genuinely good guy, a hard worker, and an asset to our program and culture.

Attachments

• Achilles Before and After.png
    Achilles Before and After.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 158
Reaction Score
The good news here is that Akok is at UConn to get a college education. Whether he would ever gain the weight or skill sets to be a pro was in doubt prior to injury. He needs to hit the books and makes sure he graduates. Sometimes, the worse thing to happen turns out to be the best thing that happens. A degree from UConn is not the worst way to start out life.

Being a pro, does not mean the nba only. These guys can make a nice living overseas. Not nba level money but still a good payday. Based on his work ethic, i expect he is a good student also.

Reaction Score
I let some time pass before posting. I had a clear view from section 111 and had a cloud hanging over the remaining 39 minutes of the game. We stood and cheered, awesome victory despite this.

He seems like a genuinely nice kid and hope for the best recovery given the severity. It is a reminder of how life can change in a split second and also how young these guys are.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
ABSOLUTELY IGNORANT POST WARNING!!!

After 18 months of incredible work and commitment to the healing process a stronger healthy redshirt Akok takes the court in December of 2021. He has excelled in his assigned physical therapy and gotten stronger by focusing on isolated strength exercises custom designed by Sal. He spends the year dominating the Big East, opts out for the NBA as a sure lottery pick. Husky for life!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am holding out that his slender frame, his non-high flyer game, and his passion for wanting to play will mean a miraculous comeback to the court NEXT MARCH!!!! At least for a game or two.

Reaction Score
Will there be an update on the injury today? I thought I read that Akok was going for an MRI at some point today.

Reaction Score
I believe Hurley said Memphis pregame Akok was dealing with an injury that was mostly responsible for his regression as of late. Wonder if it was related to what happened yesterday.

Reaction Score
If you watch the opening tip again, he appeared to come up lame immediately after the jump ball. I didn’t notice it in real time, so nobody is to blame, but it would be a shame if he hurt himself more by trying to play through pain.

Reaction Score
Too many times kids are not completely straight with the coaches/trainers in terms of how something is feeling before the injury happens. Many times your body is telling you to slow down or stop what you are doing before the actual injury event occurs. Many, many moons ago I tore cartilage in my left knee at the end of run. I remember my knee feeling like there were a couple of rubber bands stretched over the kneecap at the beginning but the feeling passed and I kept running. The knee simply gave way after about three miles. I have no idea as to whether this happened with Akok and by this time of year, half the team is probably dealing with some type of soreness. When it comes to an Achilles issues, trainers are pretty conservative. Bummer for the kid, hear's hoping it isn't that severe.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He was in an immobility boot

That's because they have no idea the extent of the injury. It's why you immobilize people's necks with a brace at car accidents.

You don't take chances. So wrap it up.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I’m no doctor but I’ve seen this described as a fairly rare injury for a young athlete, and also a devastating one for older athletes (in their 30s). So I’m hoping that Akok has some advantage in recovery as a young guy. Rudy Gay is cited as a guy who came back pretty successfully. Dominique Wilkins was perhaps most successful. Others like Cousins and Kobe not so great.

He's got advantage of being so slight ironically enough. Not the same pressure as a guy Zion's size.

Reaction Score
It's strange how many devastating injuries we've had in recent years. I can understand one or two but we've had at least 5 players have career altering/ending injuries. It's strange and defies all logic.

Reaction Score
I remember reading that one of the big issues with an achilles repair is to get the tension just right...too tight or too lose and there are issues.

Also, we know who the best Dr. on the planet is for this injury...the guy that fixed Kevin Durant...Go to him!

Reaction Score
Cousins tore his achilles lol

He tore his ACL this past summer

He was at most 27 when he tore his achilles, he’s 29 now.

Yes he tore his achilles. Returned in slightly less than a year. He actually put up fairly similar stats per minute to what he had done before the achilles tear. Then missed the 2019 playoffs with a quad tear. Tore the ACL in August of 2019, which will likely cost him all of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Yes he tore his achilles. Returned in slightly less than a year. He actually put up fairly similar stats per minute to what he had done before the achilles tear. Then missed the 2019 playoffs with a quad tear. Tore the ACL in August of 2019, which will likely cost him all of the regular season.
He actually came back for the NBA finals

Reaction Score
God I just hope he makes a full recovery. Hopefully, it’s not super “severe” and he can get back on the court by Xmas next year. Rooting hard for the kid. We have the worst luck. Just when it seemed like we were turning a corner.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think Brenna Stewart just started playing again and she had an achilles injury last year....seems to be doing pretty well so far.

They've made huge strides in recovery times and performance returns over the years. With most ligament/tendon injuries. I mean, Kobe came back from one and he was an old man in terms of basketball years.

I'm not that worried about Akok's future recovery. I am worried about the impact on the team, given the time it is going to take. Including the mental aspect for Akok which will last long after the physical is good to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom