Akinjo Commits!!!!!! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Akinjo Commits!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
with Akinjo low probability that Carey or Nembhart comes here, playing time becomes an issue, especially if Adams doesn't leave
We're gonna get another guard, and I'd bet it's one of the two.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
upload_2017-9-11_22-53-5.gif

Reaction Score
with Akinjo low probability that Carey or Nembhart comes here, playing time becomes an issue, especially if Adams doesn't leave

UConn has always had more than 3 guards. 5 most of the time.

Gilbert, Akinjo and Vital are not nearly enough.

What if one of them twists an ankle and can't play for two games?

You're going to play with only 2 guards, no backups?

UConn needs AT LEAST one more guard.

This is an ABSOLUTE need.

And the player will definitely get PT.

Reaction Score
According to oz this must be affecting Carey..on Twitter said we "are not on Carey to heavy"

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
According to oz this must be affecting Carey..on Twitter said we "are not on Carey to heavy"

Unfortunate if true, but I'm ecstatic about our first two commits and where we appear to stand with some other recruits, and I love Akinjo in particular.

If we get Nembhard along with Wilson and Akinjo, I'm pretty thrilled, regardless of what other guards we miss.

I'd take all 3, it's convincing them that's the problem.

Reaction Score
We do have an in-home scheduled, so I'd assume we're still on him fairly heavy. Even during the Carey visit the staff must have known that Akinjo was fairly close to a lock, and the staff's hard work and seeming hard sell wasn't deterred by that. Unless they know something we don't about Nembhard (fingers crossed) I'd hope that Oz is just speaking out of his a** like he seems to often be prone to doing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We do have an in-home scheduled, so I'd assume we're still on him fairly heavy. Even during the Carey visit the staff must have known that Akinjo was fairly close to a lock, and the staff's hard work and seeming hard sell wasn't deterred by that. Unless they know something we don't about Nembhard (fingers crossed) I'd hope that Oz is just speaking out of his a** like he seems to often be prone to doing.

I don't think it's quite so nuanced as that. Hopefully, the staff has learned over the last few years that you go hard as hell after all of them until they say no.

Reaction Score
Love this get. He's exactly the right kind of player for the program, and even his weaknesses are offset. If he has a weaker off hand, he's a lefty so the defenders will occasionally push him the wrong way, and not being a freakish athlete is compensated for by defensive toughness and instincts. Seems like the kind of point guard that will stay four years and other players will want to play with. We had a point guard like that in the class of 95 and it worked out pretty well.

Reaction Score
Love this get. He's exactly the right kind of player for the program, and even his weaknesses are offset. If he has a weaker off hand, he's a lefty so the defenders will occasionally push him the wrong way, and not being a freakish athlete is compensated for by defensive toughness and instincts. Seems like the kind of point guard that will stay four years and other players will want to play with. We had a point guard like that in the class of 95 and it worked out pretty well.

I may be misunderstanding the reply but he's not a lefty? Other than that I agree with your post especially the defensive toughness/instincts part.

Reaction Score
One of the reports of his visit was that instead of going to planned activities he preferred to be in the Werth Center shooting. His coach described him as a total gym rat going to another gym after team practices to shoot more. Sounds a lot like KO himself with more skills. This bodes well for us.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
One of the reports of his visit was that instead of going to planned activities he preferred to be in the Werth Center shooting. His coach described him as a total gym rat going to another gym after team practices to shoot more. Sounds a lot like KO himself with more skills. This bodes well for us.
That kind of attitude reminds me of Ray Allen. Nickname "Everyday Ray" because he insisted on practicing even on "off days".
How Ray Allen's reputation paled in comparison to reality. Good idea to never underestimate mental toughness.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Okay...where is the schollie grid?

Reaction Score
UConn has always had more than 3 guards. 5 most of the time.

Gilbert, Akinjo and Vital are not nearly enough.

What if one of them twists an ankle and can't play for two games?

You're going to play with only 2 guards, no backups?

UConn needs AT LEAST one more guard.

This is an ABSOLUTE need.

And the player will definitely get PT.

It's a 13 man roster. Frankly, you want 5 guards. Even if the 5th is not at the same level and is just keeping his nose clean and being available if injuries or foul trouble hit.

Reaction Score
I hadn't seen this video prior to today. Wow, the kid reminds me of some of UConn's legends.

Looks legit!! He'll be a ton of fun to watch.

On a side not, can someone tell me at 1:01 why this little shuffle step never gets called a travel? I see it everywhere and it drives me nuttttttttttts that it never gets called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom