Akinjo Commits!!!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akinjo Commits!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Feeling confident we can reel in Carey or Nembhard in the near future. Forgot we only have one scholarship left. Hoping that doesn't keep us from getting a commitment from Carrigan.
Larrier is gone, we'll sign 2 kids. Hopefully Carey/Nembhard and Shittu or Carrigan, although if we ended up with Louis King I couldn't be mad.

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard Mr. Akinjo!

Here's the ESPN scouting report on him. Sounds like a Husky, doesn't he? Btw, ESPN has him ranked at #75. Rivals only moved into the Top 150 at 113 last month.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 08/23/2017

Strengths:
True point guard who exudes toughness, confidence and leadership. Akinjo is an elite on ball defender and takes pride in shutting point guards down. Akinjo is a strong play maker who can get into the paint with quickness and find shooter for shots or athletes for dunks. Akinjo is also a capable scorer from all three scoring areas. Utilizing his jump shot, mid range and his ability to finish at the rim with floaters and off hand finishes.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't provide you with elite length or athleticism from the point guard position. Akinjo could be a lot more vocal on the floor to control tempo and sets.

Bottom Line:
Akinjo is a competitive point guard who leads by example and doesn't back down from a competitive game. Akinjo will bring toughness, defense and IQ at the point at an elite level. Whoever is recruiting Akinjo, they are getting a true winning point guard.

I love reading "true winning point guard".

It sounds like this is a classic case of a guy underrated because of his size.

Let's hope we can start making noise with the highly-rated guys too.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I love reading "true winning point guard".

It sounds like this is a classic case of a guy underrated because of his size.
I live out in Berkeley and have gotten to see him a couple of times in person. Kid is a killer – super serious, super locked-in, does not take possessions off, etc. I don't see him ever talking a lot, but even the older kids deferred to him when he did.

He didn't make a lot of mistakes either, even tho he was only 16/17 years old when I saw him. Everyone I've talked to out here (I have friends in the Cal athletic department, and they are very bummed right now) says he's just a pure student of the game, a gym rat, a total hoops junkie who lives for it.

Glad he picked us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What exactly does "young for his age" mean?

Lol, meant young for his class. Scout's write up said he could easily reclassify to 2019 based on age. That leads me to believe he would be a 5-star if he was a class behind. He is winning against players 1/2-1 year ahead of him.

Meaning? Meaning he can step in as an underclassman and perform against older players.

I'm always leery of physically mature guards and wings who can simply overpower HS competition. Examples are Harris at SU and Kelvin Torbert at MSU several years ago.

Reaction Score
Larrier is gone, we'll sign 2 kids. Hopefully Carey/Nembhard and Shittu or Carrigan, although if we ended up with Louis King I couldn't be mad.
But can we actually have more than 13 guys technically signed for 18-19 until it's known fact that Terry, Jalen or anyone else is leaving?

pj

Reaction Score
But can we actually have more than 13 guys technically signed for 18-19 until it's known fact that Terry, Jalen or anyone else is leaving?

Coaches do that all the time. The coaches know Terry's and Jalen's plans, and will recruit on that basis. Terry and Jalen will confirm those plans to recruits on their visits or in private conversations.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Yes. We can.

Reaction Score
Nice to get him but let's not go overboard for a top 100 player.
Currently on espn Akinjo is ranked 75th. Boatright was ranked 74th his year. Shabazz wasn't ranked on espn but his 247 composite rank was 77.

UConn basketball over the past decade has pretty much been built on 4 year PGs that are ranked in the bottom half of the top 100.

Reaction Score
Akinjo is still 16. Won't be 17 until November. Most his age would reclassify to 2019 to mature more. Hard for me to get excited about this tidbit of information as the last player we had in this situation was Enoch. However, it seems that Akinjo has the right drive and attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom