A'ja Wilson says Stewie "is my role model"......dare we hope??? | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson says Stewie "is my role model"......dare we hope???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Here is the smallest of news nuggets from the U-19 team out in Colorado, which may excite UConn fans. Apparently, A'ja Wilson is a big fan of Breanna Stewart. Here's the quote from an article this week in Full Court magazine.

“It’s all really, really exciting”, said Wilson, who averaged 27.4 points, 13.5 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3.2 assists and 3 steals per game for Heathwood Hall in Columbia, S.C. “It’s an honor to be playing with these girls -- some of them already won a national championship, and now we are teammates.” She says Connecticut’s Breanna Stewart, who was named the MVP of the 2013 Women’s Final Four, is the teammate she was most excited to meet. “She is my role model, so just to play with her and be out on the same court as her, it was amazing,” said Wilson. “We are so similar in the style that we play, and just to guard someone who is like you is a lot of fun. I enjoyed it.”

What does this all mean...? It's summer and UConn fans are bored....Go Huskies..!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I doubt A'ja has scheduled her visits at this point but I kinda hope she is in Storrs for the SuperShow
weekend...along with Gabby Williams, Sadie Edwards and Courtney Ekmark...and maybe a forward or two.
Maya can stop by and do a drum set with a hip-hop dude. Boffo weekend!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I really like Blake's idea.

A'ja and Stewie do sound similar in that they are both top ranked and 6'4" with guard skills. They would form an amazing duo. If she likes playing with Stewie now, how about 78 games worth in national flag blue?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
blake...Here's what Wilson said about the recruiting process....

"This was supposed to be the month that I got with my parents and started narrowing it down, but USA has really pushed it back a little,” said Wilson, who is being heavily recruited by North Carolina, South Carolina, Connecticut, Tennessee and a host of top BCS schools. “Nothing has really changed -- I’m still going to take all my officials starting in August. I’m really just enjoying the process. Now coaches can call me and I’m really enjoying just talking to them.”

meyers...agree this can't hurt, but would go a step further. Wilson is spending the whole month with Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff, in the Canary Islands and Lithuania... lots of travel, hotels, practice and game time... lots of time to bond, chat and "influence"... maybe Wilson comes back at the end of July with UConn just a bit higher on the list..?? Lets hope so.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Stewie may have more similar skills to those of A'ja than anyone else on WCBB does. She's also fun.

Morgan is a solid person, as she is a solid player.

And Moriah has a million dollar smile.

Sure, sign me up. :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Certainly it's never a bad thing when a recruit cites a current or former Huskie as their role model or inspiration. As Meyers said, it can't hurt! However I have seen a number of prized recruits who listed Sue Bird, Maya, or some other Husky as their favorite player and then go elsewhere.

Also, if she sees their games as that similar, how does she feel about two years of overlap (with Stewie)? For a lot of recruits that could be seen as a positive, but some feel differently.

I'm more in agreement that just having 3 of our players on the USA team with her for an extended period is a huge plus for our chances.

Reaction Score
she has also said that diamond desheilds is her role model too

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well it certainly can't hurt. With regards to their games being similar, I would expect if A'ja were to come, her freshman year she'd be coming off the bench behind Stokes, Steward, KML, Banks and Jefferson. Her sophomore year, with Stokes, KML and Banks graduating, and no "true" center on the roster, Geno should start Wilson, Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson and probably Chong.

ND almost won a NC with 6'3" Dev Peters as their center. aTm won it with 6'1" Danielle Adams as their center. There are very few, if any, match ups that would be a problem for us if you are starting a pair of 6'4" forwards...

Having said that, playing with 3 potential future teammates is probably the best thing with regards to possibly landing her. And knowing that there's a great class already recruited along with her for 2014, as well as the chance to win a NC right out the gate would also be a plus.

Not only is the 2014 class we already have great, but the other 3 are all considered top 15 recruits in their own right (Ekmark, Edwards and Williams) - depending on which recruiting service you believe most. And Emkark and Williams are top 10 according to most... My point being even if almost no one were recruited after her, that core group of 4 would be a NC contender for all 4 of her years at UCONN - something SC can't come close to comparing with...

Reaction Score
Certainly it's never a bad thing when a recruit cites a current or former Huskie as their role model or inspiration. As Meyers said, it can't hurt! However I have seen a number of prized recruits who listed Sue Bird, Maya, or some other Husky as their favorite player and then go elsewhere.

Also, if she sees their games as that similar, how does she feel about two years of overlap (with Stewie)? For a lot of recruits that could be seen as a positive, but some feel differently.

I'm more in agreement that just having 3 of our players on the USA team with her for an extended period is a huge plus for our chances.
What Mike said.

Reaction Score
Well it certainly can't hurt. With regards to their games being similar, I would expect if A'ja were to come, her freshman year she'd be coming off the bench behind Stokes, Steward, KML, Banks and Jefferson. Her sophomore year, with Stokes, KML and Banks graduating, and no "true" center on the roster, Geno should start Wilson, Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson and probably Chong. ND almost won a NC with 6'3" Dev Peters as their center. aTm won it with 6'1" Danielle Adams as their center. There are very few, if any, match ups that would be a problem for us if you are starting a pair of 6'4" forwards...
With that lineup the opposing team, would end up having to play their center 20 feet from the basket, it would be layup city. Stewie can guard centers, but they can't guard her, would imagine Wilson will be similar.

Reaction Score
What Mike said.
Well, everyone loved Sue Bird but it's a lot different loving her and loving her game after she's left UConn and is playing in the WNBA and loving someone's game (Stewie) that you could actually play with for two full years in college. I'm hopeful that the thought of playing with Stewie and Moriah and Morgan might actually clinch the deal. She sounds like a wonderful kid and a perfect match for the Huskies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
she has also said that diamond desheilds is her role model too
Yeah, but at some point A'Ja will need to compare the number of UCONN players vs UNC players in the WNBA, on the Olympic team and dominating WBB overseas. Sylvia Hatchell isn't likely to change the comparison soon. She simply is not that good a coach. Geno on the other hand will not let A'Ja cheat her talent just like he pushed Rebecca, Karen, Sue, Diana, Maya ....

Reaction Score
Being with all three is great as long as they all get along really well. If A'ja develops any personality conflicts with any of them it could be a deal breaker. I don't see that happening, but just sayin'

HGN

Reaction Score
The greatest recruiting tool and strategy working for UConn is its 3 players being with A'ja every day. Coaches might can call and text , but its nothing like being able to talk and bond with potential teammates on your own time and terms like at USA practice. A'ja can talk and ask questions, and she can observe the comraderie among Tuck , Stewie , and MoJeff. And hopefully she will bond with one , or all 3.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
"If A'ja develops any personality conflicts with any of them it could be a deal breaker."

Best to find that out now, than later. On the other hand, if they get along great...that is going to be a large obstacle for recruiters from other institutions to have to overcome.

Reaction Score
Ms.Stewart is all in for fun,as is Ms.Jefferson,and Ms.Tuck.What more could you ask for,around a recruit.Though all four are serious with their games,most would tell you,IMO,that they want to have fun,too.I would stake Stewie and company up against anybody,for having a good time with Ms.Wilson.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Breanna is reportedly downright goofy.
She is - totally charming and fun to see her be such a goofball. Right after the NC it was great seeing her muss Geno's hair right after his on court interview. That kind of playfulness as a freshman with the coach reminds me of DT (altho Bree and DT's overall personalities are VERY different)...

Reaction Score
Being with all three is great as long as they all get along really well. If A'ja develops any personality conflicts with any of them it could be a deal breaker. I don't see that happening, but just sayin'

Just sayin'? Sometimes when you have very little to say you should say very little. Not that I see your post as saying very little, just sayin' about sayin'.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think it is a great advantage for Wilson to be playing with 3 National Champions. She will get an honest ear full of what to expect and what is expected. With that said what will coaches who are recruiting her going to say to try to get the advantage or leverage in recruiting her? IMO if National Championships are important UConn is the front runner. If playing on TV and being able to have her family and friends watch her on TV then UConn is number. If if means anything then UConn is number 1. Hey there is only 1 number 1.

Reaction Score
A’ja Wilson
As of May 19, 2013
Position: Forward
Height: 6-4
Weight: 190 lbs
School: Heathwood Hall High School ‘14
Hometown: Hopkins, S.C.
USA Basketball Notes
  • Named to the 2013 USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team on May 19, 2013.
College Notes
  • Undecided.
High School Honors
  • South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA) Player of the Year (2012, 2013).
  • South Carolina Co-Miss Basketball (2012, 2013), shared with trials participant Amber Campbell.
  • South Carolina Female Prep Athlete of the Year (2013).
  • SCISA All-Star (2012).
  • SCISA All-State (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).
  • All-conference (2012, 2013).
  • All-state and all-region in volleyball (2012).
High School Notes
  • Attends Heathwood Hall High School (S.C.), where she has played four varsity seasons, beginning in the eighth grade, and amassed 2,170 points, and approximately 1,500 rebounds.
  • As a junior in 2012-13, helped Heathwood Hall to a 27-7 record, the regional championship and state runner-up finish; started all 27 games and averaged 22.0 ppg., 15.0 rpg., 3.0 apg., 5.0 spg. and 3.0 bpg.
  • As a sophomore in 2011-12, Heathwood Hall advanced to the SCISA semifinals.
  • Also competed in track and field (2011-12), volleyball (2011-12) and soccer (2010-11) and broke her high school’s 100-meter record.
  • Had thought about playing volleyball in college.
Personal Notes
  • Born A’Ja Riyadh Wilson on Aug. 8, 1996, in Columbia, S.C.
  • Daughter of Eva Rakes Wilson and Roscoe C. Wilson Jr., has one older brother, Renaldo (29).
  • Father played basketball at Benedict College (S.C.) and professionally for 10 years in Europe.
  • Started playing basketball in the fourth grade.
  • Tweets under the handle @_awilson22.
Inside Scoop
  • Most memorable moments from the 2012 Olympics: watching the USA men’s and women’s basketball teams. Was also amazed by the swimming and gymnastic performances. She most remembers the work ethic of the USA Basketball athletes and the teams winning gold.
  • Favorite player on the 2012 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team: Kevin Durant, because “I think we play similar roles in the game and he is so smooth.”
  • Plans on majoring in: sports administration with a minor in psychology.
  • If she could drive anything, it would be: a hot-pink Jeep Wrangler.
  • Currently drives: whatever her parents will allow.
  • Favorite Twitter account to follow: @BlakeGriffin32.
  • Top five movies of all time: The Hangover, Princess and the Frog, The Great Gatsby, Spongebob, and Coach Carter.
  • Favorite non-sports magazine: GQ.
  • Favorite sports magazines: Eastbay and ESPN.
  • Must-have pre-game snack: a bottle of Smartwater and sour gummy worms.
  • Favorite app: Jenga.
  • Favorite sport other than basketball: volleyball.
  • Favorite class: history.
  • Favorite basketball players of all time: LeBron James and Candace Parker.
  • Favorite basketball team: Los Angeles Clippers.
  • Favorite Olympian: Kevin Durant.
  • Most played song on her iPod: “Loveeee Song” by Rihanna, featuring Future.
  • Best player ever faced: Diamond DeShields.
  • Most impressive person ever met: Coach Pat Summitt because she’s “one of the best coaches ever.”
  • Compares her game to: Candace Parker because of her versatility.
  • This left-hander wears No. 22 because it’s unique.
  • Away from the court, enjoys: sleeping, eating, hanging out with friends and family and social networking.
  • Most people don’t know: she has Bieber fever.
  • Superstitions include: she has to play a song by Drake before every game.
  • Has traveled outside the United States to the Cayman Islands.
Great post, David. This gives me hope. As Geno would say, I "really, really, really, really" would love A'ja to play for UCONN. I must confess that I Iet out an audible gasp when I read a couple of the italicized quotes above from her USA Basketball profile. Let's hope Moriah, Morgan and Stewie are as good of recruiters as KML! So glad they are all playing hoops together this summer and going for the gold.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The Pillsbury Doughboy ...

. . . . . . is my roll model

Not me. He looks too much like that nemesis, the Stay Puft marshmallow man.
staypuft.jpg

Reaction Score
One very good thing for UConn current recruiting is the recent sudden departure of Trish Stafford-Odom from UNC. They had done phenomenally well while she was their lead recruiter, good to have her off the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom