A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not like we don't have a bunch of committed young women who have already decided that they want to play for the best. Even better, they didn't require a press conference to announce "The Decision." Wilson should just take a drive up to the Greenwich Boys and Girls Club and get it over with.

Reaction Score
Here is my prediction. No matter where she goes, some posters will immediately post that they knew it all the time.

If I come here the smart money is between SC and UConn, if I go to UNC's board the smart money is between SC and NC, if I go to the Lady Vols board the smart money is between SC and Tenn.

I think the "smart money" is on SC, and everyone else is just wishing and hoping at this point.. JMO

Reaction Score
The 6 foot point guard from Canada Kia Nurse, just might end up being the best freshman in the country next year. Her experience of playing on a national team against older competition, might make her more ready to fit in. If Morgan comes back healthy its like getting the number 1 player in the country.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If I come here the smart money is between SC and UConn, if I go to UNC's board the smart money is between SC and NC, if I go to the Lady Vols board the smart money is between SC and Tenn.

I think the "smart money" is on SC, and everyone else is just wishing and hoping at this point.. JMO
I don't think anyone is questioning that USC is the favorite.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I read this on another board and it makes way too much sense.

"I think she and her family are savvy. They know that she is creating publicity -- perhaps good, perhaps bad -- by not announcing until April. My speculation is that they are accepting this publicity because it avoids even worse publicity had she announced her decision in October.

In other words, I speculate she's not going to South Carolina. She didn't want to announce that until April because she didn't want to go through the entire basketball season in a South Carolina high school, in the same area as the University of SC, with all her friends, neighbors, fans, and USC fans questioning her decision or calling her a "traitor". She and her family decided they'd prefer to keep all those local people guessing rather than bitching at her for six months."

If anyone can come up with a better reason for her waiting, I'd like to hear it.

I'm sure out SEC fans might have some.
I
I read this on another board and it makes way too much sense.

"I think she and her family are savvy. They know that she is creating publicity -- perhaps good, perhaps bad -- by not announcing until April. My speculation is that they are accepting this publicity because it avoids even worse publicity had she announced her decision in October.

In other words, I speculate she's not going to South Carolina. She didn't want to announce that until April because she didn't want to go through the entire basketball season in a South Carolina high school, in the same area as the University of SC, with all her friends, neighbors, fans, and USC fans questioning her decision or calling her a "traitor". She and her family decided they'd prefer to keep all those local people guessing rather than bitching at her for six months."

If anyone can come up with a better reason for her waiting, I'd like to hear it.

I'm sure out SEC fans might have some.
DD- I have been saying the exact same thing on this blog since the fall. It makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
I haven't waded through the A'ja threads so I don't know if this is a repeat.
Carl reports in Friday's JI that her decision will be televised on ESPNU.
No mention of time...perhaps right after the school day?

OH BROTHER....HERE'S ONE GUY THAT WON'T BE LISTENING. AS BIG A FAN AS I AM, YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.

Reaction Score
The 6 foot point guard from Canada Kia Nurse, just might end up being the best freshman in the country next year. Her experience of playing on a national team against older competition, might make her more ready to fit in. If Morgan comes back healthy its like getting the number 1 player in the country.
I can't wait to get Morgan Tuck back. She will be an awesome addition to this team. Morgan Tuck is good at everything.

Reaction Score
Exhibit "A": a video entitled "espnW's Birth Of A Program" wherein coach (at 4:24) offers a familiar refrain:
"There's kids who have elaborate press conferences when they sign and then there's Stewie who's on her way to practice one day and her father goes, 'Isn't your letter of intent due today?' So they sign it on the hood of their car and mail it in. That's my kind of kid."

Exhibit "B": a blog entry in the Courtant (and in many others) entitled, "ESPNU To Televise A’ja Wilson’s Announcement:"
" South Carolina high school star A’ja Wilson will make her college choice official on ESPNU on April 16. The cable platform will carry her press conference live at 3 p.m."

1+1=...

Reaction Score
Exhibit "A": a video entitled "espnW's Birth Of A Program" wherein coach (at 4:24) offers a familiar refrain:
"There's kids who have elaborate press conferences when they sign and then there's Stewie who's on her way to practice one day and her father goes, 'Isn't your letter of intent due today?' So they sign it on the hood of their car and mail it in. That's my kind of kid."

Exhibit "B": a blog entry in the Courtant (and in many others) entitled, "ESPNU To Televise A’ja Wilson’s Announcement:"
" South Carolina high school star A’ja Wilson will make her college choice official on ESPNU on April 16. The cable platform will carry her press conference live at 3 p.m."

1+1=...

I don't think it's evidence that she won't be coming to UConn. But I do think it's evidence that, if she doesn't come here, we won't be missing out by not having someone with her ego.

If she does come here, Geno will have his work cut out for him to mold her into a selfless, team player.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have it on variably good authority that she will be matriculating at Kilgore Jr. College (pardon me, Kilgore COMMUNITY College) to spend a couple of years sharpening her skills and maybe getting a little taller, so that the Div. 1 schools will REALLY want her.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

1+1=...
I have to agree with Geno; high school kids making a big production out of where they're attending college. Of course, many of us are at fault for putting them on a pedestal to begin with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can appreciate people's annoyance. However, I agree with the reasoning that -- possibly -- she hasn't wanted to announce because she wanted to spend less of her high school life being regarded as a traitor because she's going to play away from home. Also -- possibly -- it might take a while to digest feelings about being far from home. Those would be very reasonable and mature motives for waiting to make a definitive statement about where she is going.

So maybe the odds are against her coming to UConn, but I'm willing to assume her motives are not crudely egotistical.

Reaction Score
I can appreciate people's annoyance. However, I agree with the reasoning that -- possibly -- she hasn't wanted to announce because she wanted to spend less of her high school life being regarded as a traitor because she's going to play away from home. Also -- possibly -- it might take a while to digest feelings about being far from home. Those would be very reasonable and mature motives for waiting to make a definitive statement about where she is going.

So maybe the odds are against her coming to UConn, but I'm willing to assume her motives are not crudely egotistical.

Understood, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Let me share a couple of reasons of why I respectfully disagree.
1. This has happened before to South Carolina (Latta, Atkinson, McDaniel-UNC) (Stroman-Miami). Even Kalana Greene-UConn is from St.Stephens. No one hates any of these players, as a matter of other than Latta they are for the most part unknowns. Partly because they didn't receive the local media coverage that Wilson or SC Lady basketball now receives. She is in every paper, on every newscast, and in a lot of magazines (whether they be national or local). I suspect the reason she has taken so long is to continue to generate buzz for the program and herself locally. I cannot see this buzz being generated just crush everyone's dreams. (See Lattimore, Clowney in football)

2. Let's say she does select another school, and a few "fans" do make life miserable for her and/or hate her. Well that will never change in the minds of those "fans' whether she chose another school on April 16th or if she did it month ago. I don't agree with it, and I think it's sickening but it would happen.

3. Finally, SC fans have more to be excited about in their athletics department than just women's basketball. Baseball is highly ranked, so is football, and hopefully just hopefully Martin gets Men's basketball turned around. Only time will tell on that one.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Looks like she needs a little bit of UConn history 101 with Professor Breanna Stewart...unless this was talking about getting to the FF, not the NC game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think it's evidence that she won't be coming to UConn. But I do think it's evidence that, if she doesn't come here, we won't be missing out by not having someone with her ego.

If she does come here, Geno will have his work cut out for him to mold her into a selfless, team player.
I completely disagree with that. People who know her say she is a very nice young woman with a good head on her shoulders. Not ego driven. (Well most #1 recruits have some ego, it's what helps make them #1. Gotta believe in yourself.)

I'd be a bit surprised if she did choose UCONN, but I think she would fit in fine.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm feeling Puckish today so I'll post this (it came up when I searched for UConn):

A'ja Wilson ∞ ‏@_ajawilson22 22h
@iim_P3RF3CT: I would like for both UConn teams to win... lets see!”-- they did that one year when Kemba was there
I don't know who she will select, but how could she watch this championship run and not think how great it would be to play with these Uconn players.

And with Stokes and Stewart, she wouldn't be stuck in the post.

This can't be an easy choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69