A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe time to start expanding the criteria a bit? Kids change and the times change as well... What worked 10, or even 5 years ago, won't necessarily work today or 5 years down the road. I get that there will always be some line that they have to draw in the sand, but it seems like we have missed out on a bunch of kids who apparently "weren't UCONN material", yet they go on to have terrific careers at other schools and be come terrific players...

I get that they are cautious about kids who might disrupt the chemistry, but it's got to be worrisome to hear that the pool of kids who meet the UCONN criteria is shrinking every year. At some point, by the laws of logic, there will be no recruits left who meet UCONN's criteria...

Faulty logic if ever there were one. Is there a risk of running out of kids that are 182cm? good team players? willing to (make an effort at) conducting themselves well on- and off the court? coachable? Do you really think there is a chance of running out of these types? We have them and so do Stanford, ND, MD, etc.............. Of course this is not the only road to a NC.
It really would be more of a surprise if she chose UCONN. Would love to get her but I've resigned myself to congratulating the Game c o c k s in the next few weeks...

Reaction Score
Case in point on this likelihood:

EDD's decision for UConn was leaked by the Tennessee staff and made it onto the Summitt even though EDD had promised the scoop to Hoopgurlz.

What I find interesting Brianna who is on her way to ND. What really happened that we stopped or she looked past us? She and Calhoun have really been shinning in these kind of events. I have always liked Briana and was sorry when she chosed ND. It might come to haunt us. And now that Stanford has gotten to the final 4- win or loose, they may have plugged the leaking of Samuelson running away from the West Coast. She is to Stanford what A'ja is to SC!

Reaction Score
Case in point on this likelihood:

EDD's decision for UConn was leaked by the Tennessee staff and made it onto the Summitt even though EDD had promised the scoop to Hoopgurlz.
I remember a month before Diamond committed to UNC it was all but comfirmed that she was going to an ACC school but most people thought it was going to be Maryland.

The latest rumor about A'ja (take this with a grain of salt) that her choice is between the Carolinas.

Reaction Score
I think it would be no surprise if it's South Carolina, but are you saying she has made up her mind and didn't tell the other three coaches just so she can announce on 4/16?

Why would this be a surprise? If Geno knows there is little he can do: expose her. Covering up by saying he's no longer pursuing her? In this meaningless discussion about where she will go- we know her final list and I think a lot of us would be surprise if she were to pick Tenn or NC. But any one of the 4 could make sense for similar and different reasons. I am enjoyng all the talk and the willingness to argue that 'if she really wants to win championships she should come here or go there ..... It's all a laugh. Unless Nurse turns out to be other then what we think, A'ja would be a luxury even if she were to become the best player. What I personlly like is her personality and team over showmanship. I have not seen the Mac game- only read the articles- but she stayed out of the showwomanlike behaviors that get you notice by the media and get you attention.

Reaction Score
Not overwhelming?
4 All-Stars and a shot-blocking, rebounding machine
Ridiculous guard play and monster height inside.

Correct. Not overwhelming as per their rank. What they turned into is something else. The whole point was about coaching. Other teams have equal or better recruits then those 5 when it comes to rankings. Why is UCONN more successful ? Geno.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What I find interesting Brianna who is on her way to ND. What really happened that we stopped or she looked past us? She and Calhoun have really been shinning in these kind of events. I have always liked Briana and was sorry when she chosed ND. It might come to haunt us. And now that Stanford has gotten to the final 4- win or loose, they may have plugged the leaking of Samuelson running away from the West Coast. She is to Stanford what A'ja is to SC!
Faulty logic. She lives nowhere close to Stanford, Wilson is 15 miles away from SC's campus. Wilson has no siblings at SC, KLS has 2 at Stanford. Stanford is solid this year but lose Ogwumike, James, and Ruef. SC is less solid this year but has a terrific core of youngsters. UCONN and ND seem to lead for Samuelson, while SC seems to lead for Wilson. Other than being top 2 kids in their respective classes, there is nothing in common between the 2...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Correct. Not overwhelming as per their rank. What they turned into is something else. The whole point was about coaching. Other teams have equal or better recruits then those 5 when it comes to rankings. Why is UCONN more successful ? Geno.
Actually not correct. Hartley was 3/6 per blue star and ASGR. Stokes was 14/9 per the same folks. Dolson 24/12. I don't disagree that Dolson has been a huge "surprise" from a development standpoint and a terrific story in transforming her body and game, but every other kid on the list was a top 10 player coming out of HS, or very close to that. While we all love looking at HG's rankings because they are free and easily available, they are most often the farthest off from reality. Remember Faris? top 10 for everyone but HG who had her at 34. Chong they had at 75.

Reaction Score
Actually not correct. Hartley was 3/6 per blue star and ASGR. Stokes was 14/9 per the same folks. Dolson 24/12. I don't disagree that Dolson has been a huge "surprise" from a development standpoint and a terrific story in transforming her body and game, but every other kid on the list was a top 10 player coming out of HS, or very close to that. While we all love looking at HG's rankings because they are free and easily available, they are most often the farthest off from reality. Remember Faris? top 10 for everyone but HG who had her at 34. Chong they had at 75.

And other teams don't have 4 top 10 players on their roster ?

Reaction Score
Faulty logic. She lives nowhere close to Stanford, Wilson is 15 miles away from SC's campus. Wilson has no siblings at SC, KLS has 2 at Stanford. Stanford is solid this year but lose Ogwumike, James, and Ruef. SC is less solid this year but has a terrific core of youngsters. UCONN and ND seem to lead for Samuelson, while SC seems to lead for Wilson. Other than being top 2 kids in their respective classes, there is nothing in common between the 2...

My point is this. SC is saying to Wilson: you will be the missing piece- even more so now that they have made it to a 1 seat and the final 8. Samuelson is a West Coast girl (with 2 sisters already on the team) and Stanford is in the final 4 (where 2 other shools of interest are to be found). Had they been eliminated earlier in the tourn. it would have been easier for her to look beyond them (and she might), but as a legit contender to the NC and with a core of players returning the coach (and her sisters) can say come here and we will get bak to the top- you can be the one (ND and Uconn are loaded). Both players must be feeling a press to be the diff makers. Both players must have a feeling that they can be the one to take the teams in question to the next level (or at least hold them where they happen to be).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Why would this be a surprise? If Geno knows there is little he can do: expose her. Covering up by saying he's no longer pursuing her? In this meaningless discussion about where she will go- we know her final list and I think a lot of us would be surprise if she were to pick Tenn or NC. But any one of the 4 could make sense for similar and different reasons. I am enjoyng all the talk and the willingness to argue that 'if she really wants to win championships she should come here or go there ..... It's all a laugh. Unless Nurse turns out to be other then what we think, A'ja would be a luxury even if she were to become the best player. What I personlly like is her personality and team over showmanship. I have not seen the Mac game- only read the articles- but she stayed out of the showwomanlike behaviors that get you notice by the media and get you attention.
I said it would be NO surprise.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where??!!!??

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I disagree with most of you. I think shes coming to UConn based on her comments at the McD tourney when she said it was about her future and a school/coach taking care of her after college. That to me means UConn and there is no other school that can claim that. Hey Geno is the Olympic coach right. I will wait and see and dont forget her dad said if it comes down to BB it will be UConn and from her McD's comments its about BB. JMO folks and I dont have any inside info.

Reaction Score
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? where??!!!??

Almost there

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And other teams don't have 4 top 10 players on their roster ?
But that isn't what you said. You said our talent wasn't "overwhelming" based on their HS rankings. You said other teams have equal or better talent than the 5 that were listed. I was just pointing out that going off ESPN/HS's rankings is often misleading because they are often so far off that it's mystifying... :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yes. Only 10 more days. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The point of the original post was to demonstrate that those 5 UCONN players didn't have an overwhelming advantage over some other schools based on their HS rankings. You brought in ranking services other than ESPN which had the UCONN players ranked higher. But the point still stands. Other schools sign top 10 players. What explains the difference in outcomes if other teams (e.g.Tennessee) have 4 or more top ten ranked players on their roster too ? :)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Seriously - do you not get the point of my post(s)? There is such endless repetition in this thread ALONE, asking the same questions over and over again, even though they have been answered. Honestly, don't people read threads before they start posting?

I am reminded of a little kid, in a car for 30 minutes asking the driver with an endless stream of "are we there yet? Are we there yet? etc" from the moment the car has left the parking space....

Sheesh!

***This post has been brought to you by sittightandwaitforit, the non-entitlement store that isn't sweeping the nation- but should be***

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Seriously - do you not get the point of my post(s)? There is such endless repetition in this thread ALONE, asking the same questions over and over again, even though they have been answered. Honestly, don't people read threads before they start posting?

I am reminded of a little kid, in a car for 30 minutes asking the driver with an endless stream of "are we there yet? Are we there yet? etc" from the moment the car has left the parking space....

Sheesh!

*This post has been brought to you by sittightandwaitforit, the non-entitlement store that isn't sweeping the nation- but should be*

Doggy : I think there is ample evidence on a daily basis that many posters do NOT review the previous comments before they say something.

Reaction Score

Sheesh!

So.....do you think Wilson is going to go to SC?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy : I think there is ample evidence on a daily basis that many posters do NOT review the previous comments before they say something.
Yeah, probably true. They also quote the wrong post when they mean to reply to someone else....lol.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Here is my prediction. No matter where she goes, some posters will immediately post that they knew it all the time.
They're similar to the fans who post that their team is going to lose, their team is going to lose and then when they lose, they're like, "I told you so". Personally, I don't believe in losing. Not in sports, not in life and not in business. I couldn't imagine going through life being so pessimistic all the time. It's the same way with recruiting. If I were a coach, I'd always recruit a player with the assumption they want to play for me and my school until I'm definitively told otherwise.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Here is my prediction. No matter where she goes, some posters will immediately post that they knew it all the time.

Or they will indicate they posted the correct choice and then we'll find out they had four different posts with 4 different predictions :p

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They're similar to the fans who post that their team is going to lose, their team is going to lose and then when they lose, they're like, "I told you so". Personally, I don't believe in losing. Not in sports, not in life and not in business. I couldn't imagine going through life being so pessimistic all the time. It's the same way with recruiting. If I were a coach, I'd always recruit a player with the assumption they want to play for me and my school until I'm definitively told otherwise.

Which is why I find it hard to believe the kid has made her choice and told that school and not the other three they are out of consideration just for the attention.

You can't talk about the player if you are recruiting her, but if she called Geno to say she is no longer considering Uconn, for example, I believe he can and would say he was no longer recruiting her.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Which is why I find it hard to believe the kid has made her choice and told that school and not the other three they are out of consideration just for the attention.

You can't talk about the player if you are recruiting her, but if she called Geno to say she is no longer considering Uconn, for example, I believe he can and would say he was no longer recruiting her.
I'm not sure if you can publicly say that, but what would likely happen is that word would get to Hoopgurlz, etc. and they would report that UCONN had been eliminated from consideration. I can't imagine that she hasn't made up her mind yet, but it's entirely possible that only A'ja and her parents know the choice. I don't know her personally, but I know several people that have met her, and from every indication, she's a lovely young woman who will be successful in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom