AJ needs a shooting coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AJ needs a shooting coach

Reaction Score
Shawn Marion is very similar to Jackson in almost every aspect. Marion found a way to excel and hopefully Jackson will too.
A quick check of Shawn Marion’s stats shows that he averaged almost 20 and 10 in his 1 year of college shooting 53% from the field and 30% from 3. Andre Jackson has a 5.3 ppg average over 2 years shooting 43%. Frankly the comparison is insane. The only thing that is comparable is the ugly shot. Marion’s just happened to go in much much more.

Reaction Score
I will take a wild shot here and say….. he does. UConn and most likely a well paid personal guy. Why can’t GOAT husky ray ray just donate some damn time? And have rip show up to teach playing off the ball through screens?
Ray is coaching high school and training/spending time with his kids and DB/UConn kinda of sullied that relationship with how they treated his good friend KO

It’s more than just money that DB/UConn lost because of how they handled KO. Ray still loves UConn just not sure how he feels about the athletic department currently

Reaction Score
Ray is coaching high school and training/spending time with his kids and DB/UConn kinda of sullied that relationship with how they treated his good friend KO

It’s more than just money that DB/UConn lost because of how they handled KO. Ray still loves UConn just not sure how he feels about the athletic department currently

This ^^^^^^ I’ve heard not even as much of the treatment of KO as it was DB forcing him to testify despite his request not to. DB really did a bad job with that whole thing.

Reaction Score
This ^^^^^^ I’ve heard not even as much of the treatment of KO as it was DB forcing him to testify despite his request not to. DB really did a bad job with that whole thing.
DB didn’t force that. The attorneys involved wanted it and UConn went along with it to try and save millions. Pinning something like that directly on DB isn’t realistic.

Reaction Score
DB didn’t force that. The attorneys involved wanted it and UConn went along with it to try and save millions. Pinning something like that directly on DB isn’t realistic.

Ok who to blame not sure but DB was asked to support it not being forced and did not support. Your thoughts are yours I get it, I wouldn’t even talk about it unless I knew of something. Not all the detailed facts but I have a good idea of what Ray is not at all happy about.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Once the off season starts, AJ needs a shooting coach who breaks AJ down and starts all over. His current shot is going to cost him millions of dollars in potential income. He needs to be able to shoot off the dribble and release at the top of his jump, from anywhere. If he could do this, combined with his athleticism, he will be able to make millions from basketball.

Tjhere has to be a shooting coach he can use? Someone has to make this happen. What about a guy like Dave Hopla, is he still teaching? He has worked with several NBA teams. AJ will put in the time, but his shot requires a complete makeover. Not investing in his mechanics is malpractice.
He’s improved drastically. What he needs to work on is getting to the basket and finishing or having a post up move.

Reaction Score
Ok who to blame not sure but DB was asked to support it not being forced and did not support. Your thoughts are yours I get it, I wouldn’t even talk about it unless I knew of something. Not all the detailed facts but I have a good idea of what Ray is not at all happy about.
That’s fine. I just know Ray is a pretty sophisticated guy and could easily be brought back into the fold with a nice, informed conversation about the whole thing. That includes the details of the contract and how we got here. He’s aware that UConn isn’t an SEC or Tobacco Road school that will do whatever it takes to protect its programs and also aware of how the board is. He was heavily involved with them at one time.

Reaction Score
That’s fine. I just know Ray is a pretty sophisticated guy and could easily be brought back into the fold with a nice, informed conversation about the whole thing. That includes the details of the contract and how we got here. He’s aware that UConn isn’t an SEC or Tobacco Road school that will do whatever it takes to protect its programs and also aware of how the board is. He was heavily involved with them at one time.

He’s a Husky very much still more than just interested in the program. Just would be nice to have him around no matter.

Reaction Score
Love Ajax. But often it seems he just throws the ball AT the basket. Like if he just chucks it up there it might go in. I don’t care what he look like shooting it, but it needs to go in the hoop. He’s doing SOMETHING wrong. Agree with the confusion on how a player can get to this level without being able to score.

Daz

Reaction Score
Of course they are, and of course he is. You don't go from 0 offense to all big east in a summer.
I wonder what his mid range floater shooting percentage is? I’m guessing close to 25%.

Reaction Score
I wonder what his mid range floater shooting percentage is? I’m guessing close to 25%.

I think we need to change it from mid range floater to mid range prayer quite honestly. Jeremy Lamb had a floater this is a throw.

Reaction Score
He’s improved drastically. What he needs to work on is getting to the basket and finishing or having a post up move.

I agree with this. We all knew he couldn't shoot the ball coming out of HS but it's disappointing that he struggles to finish in the lane too unless he has an open dunk. He's shooting 41% inside the arc (this year and for his career).

I would like to see the staff try to reinvent his offense a little bit. He should be averaging more than two FTA per game. Focus on his ability to draw contact and get to the stripe more. I hate the floater because it often bails out the defense; players are rarely fouled on floaters. Smaller guards need a floater but a 6'6" leaper should be attacking with ferocity and drawing fouls. Throw his floater in the trash for now.

He's an athletic phenom but a basketball project. He improved a lot between his freshman and sophomore years. Hopefully, he makes a similar leap next season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you wrote except this 1 thing: he needs to remake his shot RIGHT NOW. As much as he brings to the team, we cannot have 2 players in our starting lineup that opposing coaches are comfortable sagging off of, and as of today Whaley and Jackson are left alone if they are beyond the foul line. That enables our opponents to play off of them and leave no room for Sanogo or Martin to operate down low.
Whaley is much more dangerous left alone than Jackson. Not saying he’s great, just if Jackson could shoot as well as Whaley who actually has decent form, this team would be so much more effective on O. Jackson is still like an exceptional young colt that physically is gifted but needs some harnessing and management to maximize the gift.

Reaction Score
He should never shoot that floater again this year. That should be easy to coach. If you shoot the floater you sit. Simple. Go up strong or keep the ball moving. It’s a pathetic attempt at a shot.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you wrote except this 1 thing: he needs to remake his shot RIGHT NOW. As much as he brings to the team, we cannot have 2 players in our starting lineup that opposing coaches are comfortable sagging off of, and as of today Whaley and Jackson are left alone if they are beyond the foul line. That enables our opponents to play off of them and leave no room for Sanogo or Martin to operate down low.
This. Scouting reports is certainly out. They’ll leave Whaley and AJ open all day.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
A quick check of Shawn Marion’s stats shows that he averaged almost 20 and 10 in his 1 year of college shooting 53% from the field and 30% from 3. Andre Jackson has a 5.3 ppg average over 2 years shooting 43%. Frankly the comparison is insane. The only thing that is comparable is the ugly shot. Marion’s just happened to go in much much more.
Not their stats but their physical builds are very similar, the way they both shoot, etc.

Reaction Score
There’s been a bunch of good points here but I think there are three adjustment to work on regardless of shooting form that are worth a least a bucket a game
1) find a finishing move that’s not a dunk
2) try using the short bank shot in the mid range
3) work along the baseline when Cole and a big are working the two man game

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree with this. We all knew he couldn't shoot the ball coming out of HS but it's disappointing that he struggles to finish in the lane too unless he has an open dunk. He's shooting 41% inside the arc (this year and for his career).

I would like to see the staff try to reinvent his offense a little bit. He should be averaging more than two FTA per game. Focus on his ability to draw contact and get to the stripe more. I hate the floater because it often bails out the defense; players are rarely fouled on floaters. Smaller guards need a floater but a 6'6" leaper should be attacking with ferocity and drawing fouls. Throw his floater in the trash for now.

He's an athletic phenom but a basketball project. He improved a lot between his freshman and sophomore years. Hopefully, he makes a similar leap next season.
His best attributes are rebounding, toughness, running the floor, and court vision. Base his game, and the offense at times, around that.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I am optimistic about AJax's future. He's a hard worker and amazing athlete with at least one (I hope more) year of full time coaching with some of the best in the business. Look at the improvement with Sanogo.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I do not know that a full tear down of his shooting form will do any good. He has been shooting this way from the time he started playing so it is likely too late to have him start over and get to a form like say Niels Giffey. There needs to be adjustments and work on consistency. His form is what it is, ugly, but no reason to not think the coaching staff cannot get more consistency out of it to force opposing defenders to close that cushion a little.

Reaction Score
Hawkins needs to show him how to shoot the ball. His stroke is about as pure as it can get. Imagine if you could combine Hawkins shooting abilities with everything else Jackson can do? You’d have a 25 & 10 player and an All American.

Unfortunately though, the reality is that unless Jackson can develop an actual reliable shot, he is a detriment to our offense (partly due to the roster construction as well).

Reaction Score
Not their stats but their physical builds are very similar, the way they both shoot, etc.
Yes they were / are both physical freaks with ugly shots but that’s where the similarities end. The Matrix was able to use his physical tools to become a many time NBA all-star. Ajax is well…. AJax.

Reaction Score
I’m definitely not a coach, but what about using the bank maybe? His crazy floaters might stand a chance off the glass at more of an angle perhaps?

Thoughts?
Unfortunately the player that could really help Jackson with his shot is no longer with us but Andre could watch old film of his playing days. Tony Hanson. 6'5" about the same size as Andre and his offensive game would make Andre very hard to stop. And he used the glass very well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom