AJ needs a shooting coach | The Boneyard

AJ needs a shooting coach

Reaction Score
Once the off season starts, AJ needs a shooting coach who breaks AJ down and starts all over. His current shot is going to cost him millions of dollars in potential income. He needs to be able to shoot off the dribble and release at the top of his jump, from anywhere. If he could do this, combined with his athleticism, he will be able to make millions from basketball.

Tjhere has to be a shooting coach he can use? Someone has to make this happen. What about a guy like Dave Hopla, is he still teaching? He has worked with several NBA teams. AJ will put in the time, but his shot requires a complete makeover. Not investing in his mechanics is malpractice.

Reaction Score
Once the off season starts, AJ needs a shooting coach who breaks AJ down and starts all over. His current shot is going to cost him millions of dollars in potential income. He needs to be able to shoot off the dribble and release at the top of his jump, from anywhere. If he could do this, combined with his athleticism, he will be able to make millions from basketball.

Tjhere has to be a shooting coach he can use? Someone has to make this happen. What about a guy like Dave Hopla, is he still teaching? He has worked with several NBA teams. AJ will put in the time, but his shot requires a complete makeover. Not investing in his mechanics is malpractice.

We have an entire staff of coaches collectively paid millions of dollars that are teaching him to shoot. Have you forgotten how bad it was last year?

Reaction Score
I remember Dave Hopla from Jim Calhoun's camp : )

As for your post, my response is ABSOLUTELY. I don't even care if he can shoot 3s off the dribble or running off of off the ball screens. Let's set the bar lower for the moment. If he can shoot stand still 3s after receiving a pass and shoot off dribble penetration to the basket, that would suffice.

Yeah he improved from last year, but last was so bad. His mechanics need a complete makeover.

Reaction Score

I agree with everything you wrote except this 1 thing: he needs to remake his shot RIGHT NOW. As much as he brings to the team, we cannot have 2 players in our starting lineup that opposing coaches are comfortable sagging off of, and as of today Whaley and Jackson are left alone if they are beyond the foul line. That enables our opponents to play off of them and leave no room for Sanogo or Martin to operate down low.

Reaction Score
Andre loves to work on his game from all reports but wow today was painful to watch when we were on offense. There was nothing fluid in how things were going when he had the ball. It seemed to be a complete struggle trying to successfully make a play. It is too late for this season but he needs a serious effort by the staff to help him get a short range game and improve his shooting form.

Reaction Score
For all the good he does being a glue guy, his poor shooting really hurts this team. It's safe to say he's the main reason this team struggles to find offense at times.

If Hawkins had come along quicker than most of us thought he would, unfortunately, AJ would be coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you wrote except this 1 thing: he needs to remake his shot RIGHT NOW. As much as he brings to the team, we cannot have 2 players in our starting lineup that opposing coaches are comfortable sagging off of, and as of today Whaley and Jackson are left alone if they are beyond the foul line. That enables our opponents to play off of them and leave no room for Sanogo or Martin to operate down low.
Sure it needs to be remade NOW. But is that possible? If they try to remake his shot now he is simply going to revert back to his current mechanics in games (high pressure situations). Or worse it starts screwing with his current mechanics.

Reaction Score

I will take a wild shot here and say….. he does. UConn and most likely a well paid personal guy. Why can’t GOAT husky ray ray just donate some damn time? And have rip show up to teach playing off the ball through screens?

Reaction Score
Did whoever was coaching him ever play basketball?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. I coached girls basketball and the young girls with incredible athletic ability, on other teams, would dribble the length of the court and score., every freakin time. It’s easy for the coaches.

AJ is more athletc than many, even at the D1 level. The guy is an amazing highlight reel. However, He may be victim of poor coaching. Imagine if he could shoot like a Nowitzki or even a mediocre shooter. He will make millions. Follow the money.

Last off-season he improved his existing mechanics and he did a good job, but unfortunately this is not 1950 and the set shot out out of vogue.

Reaction Score
L
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. I coached girls basketball and the young girls with incredible athletic ability, on other teams, would dribble the length of the court and score., every freakin time. It’s easy for the coaches.

AJ is more athletc than many, even at the D1 level. The guy is an amazing highlight reel. However, He may be victim of poor coaching. Imagine if he could shoot like a Nowitzki or even a mediocre shooter. He will make millions. Follow the money.

Last off-season he improved his existing mechanics and he did a good job, but unfortunately this is not 1950 and the set shot out out of vogue.

This is 100% correct - he was so athletically superior in HS that the need to really refine the outside shot wasn’t there.

His outside shot was always an issue it was discussed by anyone who followed recruiting when he was being recruited.

The most surprising thing to me is his hesitancy to be aggressive with the ball to the basket.

He does a lot of things very well, but he will have to Improve on the outside shot and his comfort going to the basket for the team to take a leap next season.

Reaction Score
But, but so many videos and reports of improved shooting last summer...

This will be a multi-year project, and the odds aren't great that AJ will ever turn into a serviceable shooter.

Regarding the team, I echo other posters who comment about the futility of a lineup with two non-shooters.

Unfortunately, neither Gaffney nor Hawkins has asserted himself for that role.

But this team is clearly lacking another playmaker-shooter. Locke or Kolek, anyone??

Despite these obvious limitations,. I'm going to enjoy this team and root for all Big East teams in the NCAA tournament. Visions of an elite 8, or even a sweet 16, however, are just not in the cards for this crew.

Reaction Score
We have an entire staff of coaches collectively paid millions of dollars that are teaching him to shoot. Have you forgotten how bad it was last year?
Well I guess he has made a few 3s but he still can't do a mid-range jump shot. He has to resort to using a 10 foot floater. It is a joke right now how bad his offensive game is. Somebody has to be working on this part.

Reaction Score
It is just shocking that guys can get to this level and have no idea how to shoot a basketball.
It is mindboggling isnt it? I mean the first thing you learn with a basketball is dribble and the second is shoot. Like how in the world does a guy whos been a wing player his whole life not have decent form? People will say he got away with it because of his athleticsm but what about when he was a kid? I mean thats got to be something the coaches work on with these kids? I dont mind Ajaxs set shot but he has absolutely no midrange or pull up. HOW SWAY?!!!

Reaction Score
Well I guess he has made a few 3s but he still can't do a mid-range jump shot. He has to resort to using a 10 foot floater. It is a joke right now how bad his offensive game is. Somebody has to be working on this part.

Of course they are, and of course he is. You don't go from 0 offense to all big east in a summer.

Reaction Score
I’m definitely not a coach, but what about using the bank maybe? His crazy floaters might stand a chance off the glass at more of an angle perhaps?

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
If it hasn’t happened by the end of his sophomore year it’s never going too…. He shoots the ball like a woman. Never seen a male basketball player shoot from his chest like that. It’s the ugliest shot I think I’ve ever seen.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I disagree about Him changing his own shot but I do think he should watch hours and hours of videos to learn new techniques that will allow him to finish better and shoot easier shots.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
If it hasn’t happened by the end of his sophomore year it’s never going too…. He shoots the ball like a woman. Never seen a male basketball player shoot from his chest like that. It’s the ugliest shot I think I’ve ever seen.
Shawn Marion is very similar to Jackson in almost every aspect. Marion found a way to excel and hopefully Jackson will too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom