Airplane etiquette | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Airplane etiquette

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Totally disagree on the reclining. I'm 6'2" and it's an option that comes with the seat I purchased, and I need it.

You don't need it.

I'm around 6'2" and I don't need it either.

If someone reclines in front of someone of our height, their seat top is about 8" in front of our faces.

My solution...I either pay for the extended leg room seats or I buy the row of seats in front of me and put family there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I view it the opposite: if your seat reclines it comes with the price, no matter how cheap. If you want to avoid being cramped by someone using one of the options on the seat s/he purchased, pay up for a higher class of seat.

Nice

Reaction Score
And I guess I fail to see how reclining the upper half of your seat creates any more leg room.

Oh wait. It doesn't.

Reaction Score
Typically, little people have shorter legs. ^ Generally, shorter legs fit more easily under seats in the row in front than the legs of taller people with longer legs. Height, perspective, and basic grade 7 or 8 geometry matters.

By contrast, taller people have longer legs. Generally, longer legs do not fit as easily under the seats of the row in front or available allocated space by row. Result of the latter: leg jam. Hence, why some taller people try to create more available space, e.g., sitting atop blankets or pillows.

On any flight more than 2 hours, no clue how sort-of-tall people (6'-6'2") sit in non-exit row economy seats now. Or, how anyone 6'3+ fails to pay the nominal amount for a few extra inches of space. Invest the 25 bucks!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And I guess I fail to see how reclining the upper half of your seat creates any more leg room.

Oh wait. It doesn't.
When your knee caps are touching the back of the chair in front of yours, which mine do if I am stuck in a non-exit row economy seat, reclining your torso allows your knees and shins to angle back instead of forward and creates enough room to allow me to slide my legs under the seat in front of me. I am unable to do that with my seat back in the upright position.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
the following dress etiquette rules need to be followed.

Im 100% serious about the first. Mostly serious about second, can forgive 3rd but shouldnt have to.

For guys:
-NO Tanktops! Nobody wants to see your underarm bush or smell you.
-No sandals - ditto for your nasty feet.
-no shorts - stop rubbing your leg against me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Im 100% serious about the first. Mostly serious about second, can forgive 3rd but shouldnt have to.

For guys:

1. Totally agree. Don't know when that became acceptable attire for men for flying.
2. Push. Sandals- if they are closed-toe and have a back strap, I'm okay. At no point are flip flops acceptable and at no point should a man be barefoot on a plane.
3. Push. Depends on size of plane, seating, etc. Burden is on guy wearing shorts to make sure his skin doesn't touch another human.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

For guys:
-No, I don't care about your wood turning hobby and definitely don't want to see pictures of the last 100 bowls you've turned. Don't ask me.

August_West

Reaction Score
1. Totally agree. Don't know when that became acceptable attire for men for flying.
2. Push. Sandals- if they are closed-toe and have a back strap, I'm okay. At no point are flip flops acceptable and at no point should a man be barefoot on a plane.
3. Push. Depends on size of plane, seating, etc. Burden is on guy wearing shorts to make sure his skin doesn't touch another human.

Ran into all 3 in multiples in my 2 flights Sunday.

Look I get it’s hot right now.

Airport terminals and airlines are air conditioned

Reaction Score

For guys:
No guy should ever wear sandals except for on a beach, same goes for tanktops. I would wear shorts every single day if I could.

August_West

Reaction Score
No guy should ever wear sandals except for on a beach, same goes for tanktops. I would wear shorts every single day if I could.

I mean I have a pair of birkenstocks I wear around during summer.... would NEVER wear them on a plane. ever.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sandals are perfectly acceptable year round at almost any location- with the caveat of closed-toe and backstrap. I have no problem with them on a plane.
Thong flip flops? whole different story.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ran into all 3 in multiples in my 2 flights Sunday.

Look I get it’s hot right now.

Airport terminals and airlines are air conditioned

Commercial air travel 1930s-1970s: Dress for success, respect other passengers and leave good impressions.

Commercial air travel 1980s-present: "I bought my ticket same as you, don't tell me what I can and can't do! I'll drink all I want, recline back, sprawl all over this row and crap in my seat and there's nothing you can do about it. I have rights too!"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Commercial air travel 1930s-1970s: Dress for success, respect other passengers and leave good impressions.

Commercial air travel 1980s-present: "I bought my ticket same as you, don't tell me what I can and can't do! I'll drink all I want, recline back, sprawl all over this row and crap in my seat and there's nothing you can do about it. I have rights too!"

Worse yet. "I know I bought a discount ticket through a third-party agency, and I know I affirmatively acknowledged I cannot bring a carry-on, cannot select my seat ahead of time and will be first to be bumped, but I deserve to board first and bring half my closet with me to stuff in the overhead."

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Worse yet. "I know I bought a discount ticket through a third-party agency, and I know I affirmatively acknowledged I cannot bring a carry-on, cannot select my seat ahead of time and will be first to be bumped, but I deserve to board first and bring half my closet with me to stuff in the overhead."

These are the worst humans.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These are the worst humans.

The most worsterest.

I don't begrudge travelers who are traveling on different budgets and have different needs. Glad there is an option for them. But don't get all huffy puffy when things go awry and you're the first to be bumped or have to check your carry on at the gate.

Reaction Score
Anyone who lives in extremely hot & humid locations for a decade adjusts to sandals, and most men get pretty darn comfortable. Boarding a plane, NFW for potential safety reasons alone. Wear sneakers or shoes. And height-limited shorties even way back with the cattle travelers, don't even think of putting your feet on the seat or arm rests on the row in front.

Reaction Score

For guys:
That's de rigeur in Thailand.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Flying through Charlotte today. Flew in to Charlotte on an American Eagle CRJ-900. Wasn't bad for a commuter jet. All seather were some sort of leather material with decent padding and I had at least 4" of knee room.

Terminal E in Charlotte is a dump.

Reaction Score
Flying through Charlotte today. Flew in to Charlotte on an American Eagle CRJ-900. Wasn't bad for a commuter jet. All seather were some sort of leather material with decent padding and I had at least 4" of knee room.

Terminal E in Charlotte is a dump.

CRJ-900's are really pushing the definition of "Commuter Jet"

Not a huge difference between them and the DC-9.

I hestistate to call the E-190's commuter jets as well.

Reaction Score

This is why I have become a total d!c& when I travel. I can't let these people win . . .

Reaction Score
This is why I have become a total d!c& when I travel. I can't let these people win . . .
Steer clear of Spirit, Allegiant, Republic, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, or even United, American, Delta, and Alaska ;). Worse, any Chinese airline, AirAsia, or the trash epitomized on the likes of Ryan Air, Vueling, EasyJet, likely Norwegian already or soon, et al. After arriving too late at Glasgow airport for a Belfast flight, here's a quality Glaswegian:

August_West

Reaction Score
So on my trip home at the end of last week I further studied the tank top, flip flop, shorts phenomenon.

It seems that meat heads (You know, work out chad bros) are the offenders of this travesty of airline etiquette. While I have no issue with people taking care of themselves in a gym, and admire and envy it in some small way, the culture these idiots subscribe to sickens me to no end.

Fatties, hippies, uglies, punks, yuppies, 1%'ers, no other demographic deigns to ruin peoples flights like weight lifting meatheads.

Next time you guys are in an airport you will now notice and see how right I am.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So on my trip home at the end of last week I further studied the tank top, flip flop, shorts phenomenon.

It seems that meat heads (You know, work out chad bros) are the offenders of this travesty of airline etiquette. While I have no issue with people taking care of themselves in a gym, and admire and envy it in some small way, the culture these idiots subscribe to sickens me to no end.

Fatties, hippies, uglies, punks, yuppies, 1%'ers, no other demographic deigns to ruin peoples flights like weight lifting meatheads.

Next time you guys are in an airport you will now notice and see how right I am.

So tomorrow...I'll look around.

Reaction Score
C'mon ADub, it would be remiss to leave out a few too many class acts of all sorts of shapes and physical conditions sporting wife beaters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom