2024 Recruiting: - Ahmad Nowell committed to UConn! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Ahmad Nowell committed to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Too lazy to check if this has been mentioned already, but Nowell's 3 point shooting stats are very impressive.

Shot 41% from 3 in the EYBL season. 43/106 from deep. And Jeff Goodman had to gall to tweet out that Nowell "wasn't a good shooter" yesterday right after he committed...lol
I get it, but college shooting is very different. I think Alterique shot in the mid to high 40’s in High School, and we never saw him come close to that here. Small guards have challenges.

Reaction Score
I get it, but college shooting is very different. I think Alterique shot in the mid to high 40’s in High School, and we never saw him come close to that here. Small guards have challenges.
You could've used Shabazz, Boat, Price, or Khalid as your example instead of Alterique. Gilbert was pretty much ruined by injury. Small point guards should have no problem getting threes off in college.

Reaction Score
Too lazy to check if this has been mentioned already, but Nowell's 3 point shooting stats are very impressive.

Shot 41% from 3 in the EYBL season. 43/106 from deep. And Jeff Goodman had to gall to tweet out that Nowell "wasn't a good shooter" yesterday right after he committed...lol

He's very accurate overall but is a little streaky. He went almost 50% from 3 the first few sessions (IIRC) and was more like 35% after. Still... very accurate when it boils down to it. 40% shooters don't grow on trees.

Where he's going to need to improve is improving getting his shot off vs pressure. He requires quite a bit of time/space. I don't think it's a form thing as much as a reps thing. Just needs to keep getting in the gym. This works in AAU because the game is wide open, but not so much in high school with better defense. I'd like to see him start working on a pull-up to each side, a more adept step-back, stuff like that.

But yeah, calling him a bad shooter is nuts.

Reaction Score
You could've used Shabazz, Boat, Price, or Khalid as your example instead of Alterique. Gilbert was pretty much ruined by injury. Small point guards should have no problem getting threes off in college.
I was insinuating to start out. It’s a big adjustment to go from HS to College obviously. By the end of their careers, they ended up good shooters, but I think all of them started out pretty mediocre.

Reaction Score
Kemba was/is on the shorter side too for a point guard.

Reaction Score
He's very accurate overall but is a little streaky. He went almost 50% from 3 the first few sessions (IIRC) and was more like 35% after. Still... very accurate when it boils down to it. 40% shooters don't grow on trees.

Where he's going to need to improve is improving getting his shot off vs pressure. He requires quite a bit of time/space. I don't think it's a form thing as much as a reps thing. Just needs to keep getting in the gym. This works in AAU because the game is wide open, but not so much in high school with better defense. I'd like to see him start working on a pull-up to each side, a more adept step-back, stuff like that.

But yeah, calling him a bad shooter is nuts.

The very first clip in this video stands out, creates a little bit of space and gets the shot up fast. Gets good rotation on the ball too. I don't know how this kid isn't a 5* recruit. I understand this is a highlight video, but damn. He looks like he could be ready to head to Storrs right now

Reaction Score

The very first clip in this video stands out, creates a little bit of space and gets the shot up fast. Gets good rotation on the ball too. I don't know how this kid isn't a 5* recruit. I understand this is a highlight video, but damn. He looks like he could be ready to head to Storrs right now

If he was 6'2, he'd be a top-10 recruit. Probably ranked higher than Castle was, honestly. He just has limited NBA potential because of the height. In terms of pure production and impact on a college team, Nowell is 100% a five-star. It's why I believe he is the most important recruit in the class, no matter who else commits.

Reaction Score
If he was 6'2, he'd be a top-10 recruit. Probably ranked higher than Castle was, honestly. He just has limited NBA potential because of the height. In terms of pure production and impact on a college team, Nowell is 100% a five-star. It's why I believe he is the most important recruit in the class, no matter who else commits.
Do you think there's any chance of a mid-year reclass to get him on campus in January? We still have 1 open scholarship banked I think...

Reaction Score
Do you think there's any chance of a mid-year reclass to get him on campus in January? We still have 1 open scholarship banked I think...

Chance? Sure.

I'd guess it's unlikely. Imhotep is a really well-coached team and as a charter (public) school, there's a good shot he will NEED to finish out the year anyways to graduate. PA might have a senior project requirement, finance course as a senior... that kind of stuff.

Someone like Karaban was in a little bit different position, for example. The reclass wasn't that big of a deal because he had an injury (wrist?) and wasn't playing, and IMG isn't exactly known for their academic integrity for athletes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lot of history at UConn for smaller PGs/CGs creating space to get their shots off.. Step backs--stutter step and change of speed, etc. With Ahmad's upper body strength and quick feet.. UConn's offensive sets and motion offense.. He'll be getting his fair share when needed.

Reaction Score
He's going to be our best pick and roll ball handler since.... Jalen Adams? Looks like he's got all the reads with another year of high school to go.

Reaction Score

I bet he will be top 20-25 consensus in the final rankings. Hurley and the staff has the knack for finding late risers and are in on them before the crowd.

Reaction Score
I’m liking how strong this kid is with still another full season before he joins the team. I’m used to us having string beans we need to bulk up from day 1 and think this kid is going to be remembered for his time in Storrs, LETS GOOOOOO

Reaction Score

Guys don’t really leave Imhotep halfway through. Each season, they set their sights on a state championship, and it’s not really a come and go program like some of the prep schools. Ahmad has waited to be that senior leader. And, as mentioned, I don’t think the credits would work anyway, especially with him spending a year in Tennessee. There’s no question of eventual eligibility- Imhotep gets their kids graduated and knows what they need to play in college. They usually have a handful of kids each year moving on to play college basketball or football.

Reaction Score
He's short but sturdily built, should help on the defensive side and also in terms of being able to get to the rim and use his body to shield defenders.

Reaction Score
I still remember Florida more than UK, mainly because of how hyped Scottie Wilbekin was all year, how we beat them in Gampel but they were allegedly a whole other team, they were th #1 seed, and how completely we embarrassed their back court.

View attachment 90013

Probably one of my favorite all-time UConn pics:
View attachment 90014
The way boat and bazz dominated him and Kasey Hill was just laughable

Reaction Score
Maybe him being damaged goods in high school was how we got him in the first place?

I have a hard time believing that. He had a dislocation sophomore year that didn't require surgery. The Jordan game was when he dislocated it badly and things went downhill from there.

Rique went absolutely ballistic his junior year (watch the game vs Tatum!) and his ranking rose to 5*.

Reaction Score
Chance? Sure.

I'd guess it's unlikely. Imhotep is a really well-coached team and as a charter (public) school, there's a good shot he will NEED to finish out the year anyways to graduate. PA might have a senior project requirement, finance course as a senior... that kind of stuff.

Someone like Karaban was in a little bit different position, for example. The reclass wasn't that big of a deal because he had an injury (wrist?) and wasn't playing, and IMG isn't exactly known for their academic integrity for athletes.
Guys don’t really leave Imhotep halfway through. Each season, they set their sights on a state championship, and it’s not really a come and go program like some of the prep schools. Ahmad has waited to be that senior leader. And, as mentioned, I don’t think the credits would work anyway, especially with him spending a year in Tennessee. There’s no question of eventual eligibility- Imhotep gets their kids graduated and knows what they need to play in college. They usually have a handful of kids each year moving on to play college basketball or football.
Gotcha. Wasn't sure if there was even a possibility. I like the idea of getting a guy into the system early and letting them practice with the team. On years when we bank a scholarship, it would be nice to keep that trend going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom