OT: - Aggressive move I pulled at work. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Aggressive move I pulled at work.

Reaction Score
While I tend to agree with those that stated you may be somewhat of a marked man, if they agreed to pay you, maybe they know you are worth it and are fine with paying you. Also, if you have direct counterparts with the same job as you, maybe some of them make more than you do and it wasn’t a big deal to pay you more. Sometimes companies have certain employees they consider an absolute bargain and they don’t make any attempt to give them more money. In many cases, particularly with people that are loyal and stay in jobs for a long time, they are taken advantage of because everyone knows they aren’t going anywhere.

I remember being shocked when I went to a training back when I had a corporate job and a coworker of mine told me her salary. I was the top producing person in the company by a wide margin and her base salary was 25% higher than mine. I had no idea and I felt really slighted. When I brought up my salary with my boss, he gave me a raise instantly and approved giving me a company car to boot. It was as if he had wondered why I hadn’t ever negotiated. Hard to say, but I’m guessing that given the current labor market, you are worth the extra money and they know it. If you weren’t, they probably would have cut you loose and promoted someone.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I applaud your initiative.

For me, I am squarely in the camp of folks that don’t ask for a raise/promotion. I will let you know my career ambitions, and if we are aligned on them the money/title will follow. If not, that is fine and I am moving on. But I will never extort for pay...what you pay me without the threat is all I need to know. I have only changed employers once in 13 years.

Reaction Score
This is such a dick thing to post to a guy who is worried about his call.

Funny though, and probably not wrong, so it gets a like.

As long aa he does a good job, they'll look past this minor indiscretion.

I do agree that this could hinder a future promotion, but this might not be a long term company

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is such a dick thing to post to a guy who is worried about his call.

Funny though, and probably not wrong, so it gets a like.
Thanks...... I think.......

I was speaking from personal experience. I did this once and company went over my bosses head to keep me. Covid hit and my immediate boss got his revenge and laid me off despite me getting excellent reviews every year. He was a major D, by the way and everyone hates him. I feel sorry for the people that are still there.

I'd explore my options.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So my employer decided to take away our covid pay and bonus structure. Keep in mind it had been in place for a year and a half now and the area is extremely short staffed. When I was informed I said reinstate mine or else I quit and just work F&B, bartend and make just as much. They himmed and hawed so I quit. The next day they reinstated the pay and asked me to come back. In return I not only asked for my covid pay back I asked for a raise! Knowing that they were in a bind staffing wise as a number of people quit. I went back and forth with my DM and agreed on a small raise and the covid pay! I’m just not sure if this was too aggressive a move that may hurt future promotions. I’m like an extreme ENTP these moves don’t typically work out but this one did. I’m in mid level management. Would you have pulled this move?

Nothing wrong here.

You felt you were worth more and in the end, your employer did, too.

Reaction Score
So my employer decided to take away our covid pay and bonus structure. Keep in mind it had been in place for a year and a half now and the area is extremely short staffed. When I was informed I said reinstate mine or else I quit and just work F&B, bartend and make just as much. They himmed and hawed so I quit. The next day they reinstated the pay and asked me to come back. In return I not only asked for my covid pay back I asked for a raise! Knowing that they were in a bind staffing wise as a number of people quit. I went back and forth with my DM and agreed on a small raise and the covid pay! I’m just not sure if this was too aggressive a move that may hurt future promotions. I’m like an extreme ENTP these moves don’t typically work out but this one did. I’m in mid level management. Would you have pulled this move?
What... no extra vacation time?

Reaction Score
It’s kind of tough reading all these replies saying to be a good company man, never rock the boat, and do what’s best for the corporation. Any (especially big) company will cut you in a heartbeat, fill in your role, and move on like nothing happened.

Unless your main goal is to work your way up the ladder at that specific place, then I would take that with a grain of salt. You are definitely right about looking out for yourself, and understanding your value, and what your time, effort and sacrifice is worth.

That said… I’m assuming if you were willing to leave your career to bartend, you aren’t happy doing what you’re doing, and eventually a small bump in pay isn’t going to fix that. Maybe factor that in to your life plans. Either way, still make sure you have a relationship with your boss for a reference if nothing else!

Reaction Score
The only aggressive move I want to make at work is to give 2 week notice and quit or retire, preferably just before starting vacation

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ballsy move. When you get to a certain point in the corporate structure, relationships trump performance metrics. Ultimately, your boss generally wants to pay you the lowest amount they can while getting the highest level of productivity. Many want troopers who are loyal to them as well. I agree that you need to have that “appreciation communication to boss” happen and I’d also suggest subtly demonstrating/documenting why you’re more valuable than your peers.

Personally, I would not walk out without a job lined up but I have a family/mortgage/bills that would give me extra stress (even though I have a good rainy day fund). But that’s also me shying away from risk-reward.

Reaction Score
I guess no real right and wrong answer to this aggressive move.

Another option is to work for yourself, meaning being self-employed, IF you have a skill in demand, be it computer consulting or any other consulting in your field, counseling, appliance repair (for sure, in demand), or home improvement if that is your skill set.

However, and I know this from personal experience, the income stream is not always steady, the demands of customers/clients can override the demands of one boss since these customers/clients have different and often unreasonable demands.

If your home is your home base, overhead is not a worry. If your spouse is the "office manager," you save on hiring a staffer to answer the phones and do the record keeping and management.

Wish you well on your choices and decisions.

Reaction Score
There is really no right or wrong answer. Just actions and consequences. As long as you have gamed out the possibilities related to your actions and are ok with the outcomes that is all that really matters.

I would add that if you don't ever make moves you won't get very far. It is a delicate game, but if you want long-term career growth you are going to have to break some dishes. Just toeing the company line only gets you so far.

Reaction Score
Just watched a short segment on Bloomberg Surveillance. It was mentioned that the workforce has leverage now, but they expect that leverage start to wane by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Good for you… but start looking!
My company gave us a BS raise after a year of us busting our humps and dealing with the Covid. Morale really sucks right now both management and staff, and our attrition rate is sky-high.
I haven’t really started looking around, but if I had a chance like the op did, i would’ve done the same thing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have to ask because it came to me with the OP and I'm very curious. Were you working for this outfit when you had your health issues a while back?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you work in a large corporate company stepping out of the expected structures is not acceptable. See Dogpauses statement above. If you work for a smaller company that looks at the world in more flexible terms make your boss as close a supporter as possible. You lit the lamp dude. Good luck.

The cost to hire and train his replacement…it’s almost certainly cheaper to give him his small raises and Covid pay.

Jobs will pay the people who are worth keeping around because they get so much more out of them than the average Employee

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A bunch of short term thinkers ITT. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Freedom lies in being bold.”
― Robert Frost
('is the only poet to receive four Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry.')

"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."
- Janis Joplin

(Actually I'm pretty sure Kris Kristofferson wrote Bobby McGee, but still.)

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
It's a really good time to go out and get more money.
I made a job move in October which resulted in a $21,000 increase.
And then we just got our year end bonus payment and while being 6 month pro-rated was still $11,000.
Plus a $4,000 cost of living increase to my salary.
$36,000 up now almost year over year from when I started talking to my current company last summer.
Humble brag I know, but this Covid job crunch has been good to me and there is plenty of opportunity out there to get ahead now if you are feeling stuck like I was. .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's a really good time to go out and get more money.
I made a job move in October which resulted in a $21,000 increase.
And then we just got our year end bonus payment and while being 6 month pro-rated was still $11,000.
Plus a $4,000 cost of living increase to my salary.
$36,000 up now almost year over year from when I started talking to my current company last summer.
Humble brag I know, but this Covid job crunch has been good to me and there is plenty of opportunity out there to get ahead now if you are feeling stuck like I was. .

That's the trick isn't it? Know your situation and the marketplace.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Yes. I was holding on for dear life just like everyone else last spring/summer and just feeling crushed in the process.
An old boss who left our company a few years back reached out and asked if I was interested and if he could pass my name on a referal.
Yes and Yes!
And here I am today for a successful company that had an awesome year due to and in the face of Covid on a rocket ship rise.
Now I am a major part of the director and executive team where before I was many rungs down and people were content to not promote or pay what I was worth to the company.

Great job, company, coworkers and...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There is really no right or wrong answer. Just actions and consequences. As long as you have gamed out the possibilities related to your actions and are ok with the outcomes that is all that really matters.

I would add that if you don't ever make moves you won't get very far. It is a delicate game, but if you want long-term career growth you are going to have to break some dishes. Just toeing the company line only gets you so far.
  • Companies will sell employees on "promoting from within". This is the best way to keep salaries down. At least in my company, there's no real negotiation and if you decline the spot due to salary you might as well forget getting promoted.
  • At most companies, there is no loyalty to tenured employees.
  • Reminds me that it's time to start looking again.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If you work in a large corporate company stepping out of the expected structures is not acceptable. See Dogpauses statement above. If you work for a smaller company that looks at the world in more flexible terms make your boss as close a supporter as possible. You lit the lamp dude. Good luck.
Mid sized company(1,500 employees) where I have met the president on multiple occasions. I am the most productive employee in the company. Losing their youngish go getter special assistant to the DM(fixing messed up locations) aka internal consultant was a gigantic loss. They quickly realized it. They thought I was bluffing. Keep in mind I live in an area that doubles in population every few years. 800% growth over the past 10 years greater Charleston area. Jim Calhoun retirement home area. Staffing is the biggest issue companies face. So a northern educated type A is like a huge asset to these places. I felt like I had leverage here. I thanked my DM and RM in a hand written note. Their response was “were going to do big things together, I have no doubt that you will be VP one day”. The problem is I handled it in an emotional way. I said “when you’re closing locations due to staffing issues you will be begging me to come back”. But again my leverage was insane. They have no one to run some of these locations. I’m fixing a different location every day and training new hires. My DM said she couldn’t sleep after I quit. Just an interesting situation all around. I believe I did the right thing but who knows.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom