OT: - Aggressive move I pulled at work. | The Boneyard

OT: Aggressive move I pulled at work.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
So my employer decided to take away our covid pay and bonus structure. Keep in mind it had been in place for a year and a half now and the area is extremely short staffed. When I was informed I said reinstate mine or else I quit and just work F&B, bartend and make just as much. They himmed and hawed so I quit. The next day they reinstated the pay and asked me to come back. In return I not only asked for my covid pay back I asked for a raise! Knowing that they were in a bind staffing wise as a number of people quit. I went back and forth with my DM and agreed on a small raise and the covid pay! I’m just not sure if this was too aggressive a move that may hurt future promotions. I’m like an extreme ENTP these moves don’t typically work out but this one did. I’m in mid level management. Would you have pulled this move?

Reaction Score
Sounds like it worked, no? Why would standing up for yourself hurt future promotions?

If anything, I’d wonder less about how it affects you in your employer’s eye, and more about what it says about your employer in your eyes.

Reaction Score
As long as you delivered your message without emotion, then yes, well done. I would also be planning my next move, 12-18 months out, in order to protect yourself. People can be vindictive, even more so after they were dead wrong.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
So my employer decided to take away our covid pay and bonus structure. Keep in mind it had been in place for a year and a half now and the area is extremely short staffed. When I was informed I said reinstate mine or else I quit and just work F&B, bartend and make just as much. They himmed and hawed so I quit. The next day they reinstated the pay and asked me to come back. In return I not only asked for my covid pay back I asked for a raise! Knowing that they were in a bind staffing wise as a number of people quit. I went back and forth with my DM and agreed on a small raise and the covid pay! I’m just not sure if this was too aggressive a move that may hurt future promotions. I’m like an extreme ENTP these moves don’t typically work out but this one did. I’m in mid level management. Would you have pulled this move?

I work in HR and, in a previous role, sat in on/mediated a lot of salary negotiations and will say that there are probably pros/cons to getting aggressive at this time.

Employees should always pursue adequate compensation, especially if the market dictates that you should be receiving these benefits/higher wages due to employment shortages. Without knowing your industry, I’m going to guess that, like most businesses, you’ve been hit with workforce shortages and have had to work extra time to compensate. I assure you that, if/when it suits them, your company (or most any company) will have no issue with releasing you from employment, so it’s always my advice to ensure that you’re being compensated fairly and in-line with market standards whenever possible.

The downside is that there is always a personal aspect to actions like this and it’s not always favorable. “Rattling the Sabre” is effective, but in an employment crunch, it can certainly leave a sour taste depending on the circumstances at your company. If you have a good relationship with your supervisor, or wish to maintain one, I would recommend writing a personal note/email to them thanking them for working with you on the compensation increase and that you’re looking forward to continuing a strong work relationship, etc. It may help ease any tension that exists or they may disregard it, but it’s a nice good-faith gesture on your part.

Reaction Score
It’s perfectly fine to ask for what your think fairly represents your value. Intent matters as much as outcome. Just keep in mind that employers have long memories and there will come a day when the shoe is on the other foot. So, @Pgh2Storrs advice is good advice.

Reaction Score
Good for you… but start looking!

Reaction Score
All depends on how unique your skills are, and how valuable you are to your employer.

If in their eyes, you performed your job in a superior fashion to the other employees, maybe they will overlook your move.

If to them, you were just an "ordinary employee" who had them over the barrel under present circumstances, they will find a way to get rid of you when things normalize.

It is a question as to how they perceive your value.

@Pgh2Storrs gave a very good analysis of the pro's and cons.​

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I work in HR and, in a previous role, sat in on/mediated a lot of salary negotiations and will say that there are probably pros/cons to getting aggressive at this time.

Employees should always pursue adequate compensation, especially if the market dictates that you should be receiving these benefits/higher wages due to employment shortages. Without knowing your industry, I’m going to guess that, like most businesses, you’ve been hit with workforce shortages and have had to work extra time to compensate. I assure you that, if/when it suits them, your company (or most any company) will have no issue with releasing you from employment, so it’s always my advice to ensure that you’re being compensated fairly and in-line with market standards whenever possible.

The downside is that there is always a personal aspect to actions like this and it’s not always favorable. “Rattling the Sabre” is effective, but in an employment crunch, it can certainly leave a sour taste depending on the circumstances at your company. If you have a good relationship with your supervisor, or wish to maintain one, I would recommend writing a personal note/email to them thanking them for working with you on the compensation increase and that you’re looking forward to continuing a strong work relationship, etc. It may help ease any tension that exists or they may disregard it, but it’s a nice good-faith gesture on your part.

That last paragraph. Do that @UcannUconn, that's great advice. It sends the message that you are and consider yourself a team player, not a mercenary for hire.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It has been alluded to above but it is not so much what you say with people but how you say it. It is fine to express a fair and reasonable position on behalf of yourself but if it comes across as a power play they might construe that as rebellious and disloyal. A good employee who courteously asks for their due should be admired. Good employees are not easy to find and are valuable to a company. Likewise, a company that does not
appreciate this should be a signal to you to consider moving on. Kind of crazy out there today.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Totally agree. I would make it a handwritten note or card though. I send those all the time to clients and you’d be surprised the positive reactions I get.

Reaction Score
Seems like you have to play the pleasantly assertive but team player role from this point forward. Maybe it will be viewed as an indication you can handle more responsibility? That is one hell of a needle to thread.

Reaction Score
If they are willing to INVEST into you I think it says a lot about your company.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Depends on how you value your relationship with the people/company involved. I assume you were honestly fine with quitting over the covid pay. No issues there. You assessed your value and stuck to your guns. Well done.

Now, the second part is where I think you may have screwed up assuming an answer to my first statement.

If you intend this to be a long term relationship, you need to ask of the small bump in pay was worth the flex you pulled to get it?

Will you now be the first one out the door the next time cuts are needed? Or, are you a top producer and future leader who's "youthful exuberance" will be forgotten/forgiven over time?

Only you can know that. My guess is you'll be fine, but I would keep an eye/ear out to see how your interactions go with people up the chain for the next few months. Like it or not, you are now "that guy" to some degree for a while.

Reaction Score
It’s perfectly fine to ask for what your think fairly represents your value. Intent matters as much as outcome. Just keep in mind that employers have long memories and there will come a day when the shoe is on the other foot. So, @Pgh2Storrs advice is good advice.
Exactly, this time you had the leverage, next time...people have long memories. In most companies, middle management is a replaceable position. Most of us are just cogs. I'd go out of my way to show you are a team player and build good relationships now that you got what you want. Do NOT gloat with your colleagues or take a victory lap. Information travels fast and people like to gossip. Keep your resume updated though. If in the future you hear your company is bringing in a "consultant" to improve efficiency, I would activate plan B.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I would make it a handwritten note or card though. I send those all the time to clients and you’d be surprised the positive reactions I get.
Handwritten notes for prospective or current clients sure, yet an internal thank you email documenting @UcannUconn's individual (current) commitment to company X and appreciation of manager, his/her manager and HR-person may have benefits.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is really interesting... This is how pay gaps develop which isn't your fault at all.

Reaction Score
Not knowing all the details and your relationships, I'm not so sure I would send a note thanking them given the info I did see... or be very careful about your choice or words, I think those types of things given the circumstances can be easily misinterpreted. Also I would not tell anyone else you work with what went down - that may go without saying. I would just keep cashing those checks and watch your back.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Was the cessation of the Covid stipend and bonus structure directed only at you? If not, I really don't understand why you would expect the company to reinstate yours alone. You have every right to request a possible wage increase as long as your production and team play warrants it and that would have been my only ask/argument. Threatening to quit never moves me as a manager and only makes me think that if the person pulled that once it emboldens them to do so again. Is your employment at will? If so, I would be very careful in the future. If you were willing to leave that suddenly and bartend (no issues with that at all) maybe you really don't enjoy the position in the first place.
I'm glad that you received something that will allow you to stay, if that's what you really want. I agree with writing a thank you note/email for the pay raise but I would leave it at that, as Woodson said, the choice of wording is essential and expanding beyond a simple thank you may open a can of worms.
Best of Luck UCannUConn

Reaction Score
You only get one such move per employer. To do it for a small raise is blowing the load. The employer will always hold a grudge. If you're going to pull a power move, you need to make it count.
mad billy madison GIF

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You only get one such move per employer. To do it for a small raise is blowing the load. The employer will always hold a grudge. If you're going to pull a power move, you need to make it count.
mad billy madison GIF
This is such a dick thing to post to a guy who is worried about his call.

Funny though, and probably not wrong, so it gets a like.

Reaction Score
I think a lot also prob has to go about how you justified the raise and approached that conversation.
If you approached it from the stance that your contributions warranted higher pay & your production justified it, and superiors agreed, any potential hard feelings will pass as long as your performance continues to warrant your compensation.
If you approached the conversation as, you need me, I know it, and you can’t afford to lose me at this point in time. So this is a stick up. I’d warn you, hard times pass & people remember how people acted and treated them during hard times.

Reaction Score
If you work in a large corporate company stepping out of the expected structures is not acceptable. See Dogpauses statement above. If you work for a smaller company that looks at the world in more flexible terms make your boss as close a supporter as possible. You lit the lamp dude. Good luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom