After Paige and Azzi come back, should Caroline gets some PT as a forward? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

After Paige and Azzi come back, should Caroline gets some PT as a forward?

Reaction Score
How can one put Nika on the bench?! She is the team’s leader.
Paige will need a few minute breather each half when she returns. Nika will most likely spell Paige and CW when the team gets back to full strength.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We may be stronger at guard than at forward in a few weeks and Caroline looks like she can defend well at forward and rebound acceptably. And stretch the other team's forward out to the 3 point line. I think when Liv and Dorka are not in the lineup together we might want to consider one big with Caroline, Paige, Evina and Christyn. I could see Caroline playing the high post and distributing the ball in a similar way to Liv and knocking down that 10 foot jumper as well. This option would enable more space in the paint for cutting, as well as freeing up Azzi and Paige for more 3 pointers and maybe even maximize Caroline's strengths in cutting to the basket on the dribble..
FWIW, and I'm sure Geno will evaluate, but if everyone comes back healthy and we are only missing Aubrey, I'd start Paige, Christyn, Caroline, Dorka and Olivia. Bring Evina and Azzi off the bench as well as Nika and Aaliyah.

What a treat to have a player like Nika off the bench who can bring you instant energy, and hopefully Azzi who can be instant offense. Having CD able to play the "4" also gives Geno flexibility with "only" having 1 post player on the bench (not counting Amari and Piath at this time since they have not been in any game during meaningful minutes)...

Reaction Score
Coco, I think we are pretty much of the same mind. I threw out the early in the season bouncing the ball of her foot as an anecdotal incident and it's probably unfair. She can be a much better SF (not a PF) than a guard. So, what do we disagree with? If we still disagree, can we both agree that this kid can play some hoops? (I have to pinch myself, she's still a freshman.) With all the 4s UConn has there's no need to play her at the 4.
Hey, Skeets, 'probably unfair' might be a bit of an understatement regarding Caroline bouncing one off her foot (she didn't do that today... I believe the only such error was about the third time she handled the ball in her first game).

I appreciate that you amended your message. Let's put it this way, if you cringe every time Caroline puts it on the floor, I expect you'll be cringing countless times over the next three-and-a-half seasons as she helps the Huskies to a hundred or more victories.

Reaction Score
Paige will need a few minute breather each half when she returns. Nika will most likely spell Paige and CW when the team gets back to full strength.
We’ll see. My money is on Nika being on the floor a lot more than you are predicting.

Reaction Score
CD is a great 3. Can she be a 4? i don't know that she can handle a 4 on defense and against big teams like SC, Stanford, TN you probably want to go with 2 bigs at all time.
I'm just saying play Liv and Dorka together 25 minutes and have Edwards and Caroline sub for them some. Caroline to get time as a guard or small forward as well. I'm thinking Azzi, Paige, Evina, Christyn and a part time Caroline and Nika is plenty at guard. It does some things that optimize the lineup more offensively but maybe does present at least some defensive liabilities against some teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’ll see. My money is on Nika being on the floor a lot more than you are predicting.
So who sits? Christyn our 2nd leading scorer? Or Caroline our current top 2 player? Or Paige? I don't think so. Not to mention Evina or our current top recruit Azzi. What do we need most of all? 3 point shooters. I think Niika slots back at around #8 in the rotation if we are healthy.

Reaction Score
We are not of the same mind on this and it has nothing to do with how Caroline played earlier in the season. The point of my question was that Caroline is currently playing a forward position. Caroline is the SF which is distinctly different from the PF position. People are throwing that concept around like the the positions and skills required to play the positions irrelevant. Caroline is a freshman who is doing very well playing SF let her continue to master that position before we go switching her around. I agree with @dtbtbtb you put Caroline at the PF. position and she will struggle against the bigger front lines.
Coming into this season I considered Caroline to be a natural 3, and as we watch her it seems she has confirmed that opinion, so completely agree on what she is, and what she has been playing. Could she be effective at the 4? I'm not sure, but even if a four guard lineup was desired (and I am not hoping for that anyway) as you point out we could keep her at her natural position. If any guard was moved to the 4, the best choice would probably be Evina anyway, as she has some experience doing that last year.

Reaction Score
So who sits? Christyn our 2nd leading scorer? Or Caroline our current top 2 player? Or Paige? I don't think so. Not to mention Evina or our current top recruit Azzi. What do we need most of all? 3 point shooters. I think Niika slots back at around #8 in the rotation if we are healthy.
It’s going to be tough for the coaches to figure it out.

Reaction Score
In a few weeks her reign as leader will be overthrown and she will become the teams spark off the bench. And she will be fantastic. Can you imagine her coming in just as the opposing guards lose their first wind and just blowing them up with steals and pressure and pushing the ball. I tell ye laddie, twill be a fearsome sight!
I don't see Caroline coming off the bench--right now consistently, she is our best scorer. Even with everyone back, she represents the second or third best scoring option. She has earned a starting role--although we probably place more emphasis on who's starting than Geno does...

Reaction Score
thanks for the thread. I think that's the big question. Does CD get removed from the starting lineup. Or do you play her at the 4? I'm not sure u can bench Nika, considering her defense and leadership. but then again I'm not sure CD belongs on the bench either. I trust that CD can be a spark off the bench but she may be the team's second best scorer. It's a tough call. I think she can play the 4, she's super versatile but it may depend on the opponent. I wouldn't want her defending Cat Reese but I'd trust her against Haley Jones.
The coaches will lose a lot of sleep figuring it out.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't see Caroline coming off the bench--right now consistently, she is our best scorer. Even with everyone back, she represents the second or third best scoring option. She has earned a starting role--although we probably place more emphasis on who's starting than Geno does...
my comment was about Nika

Reaction Score
So, Geno said in his post game presser after the St. John’s game that Caroline would probably not have gotten the chance to develop this quickly if other players had not gotten injured. “We knew she was good, but we didn’t know she was really, really good.” I remember when he said, after the Louisville game, that Caroline would ”get a ton of minutes” going forward and that he wished he had two three more “just like her”. I’m guessing he won’t want to put a “really, really good player” on the bench. Like Paige, Caroline can score in many different ways and sometimes leave you saying, “No way.” Geno will adjust the guard/forward ratio depending on circumstances but he thinks too highly of Caroline’s work ethic, attitude and ability to put her on the bench.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We need to consider ways to get our best 5 players PT.
"We" have no input on who the best 5 players are. And that is as ir should be.

Geno and company will make those decisions. We have no idea of the limitations that may be placed on returning players, especially Paige. Again, Geno and company will decide.

And I'll throw this into the mix. The 5 that start will be the five that work best together. That does not necessarily mean the the most talented 5.

Reaction Score
For myself I would love to see the team get to that point where Geno has to make some tough decisions, it means the team is somewhat at full strength again.

Reaction Score
She's listed as a guard, because she came into the program regarded as a 3pt shooter and not much else. However, once she began to get serious PT (and everyone could see what's she capable of) she's always been a small forward.

Reaction Score
Hey, Skeets, 'probably unfair' might be a bit of an understatement regarding Caroline bouncing one off her foot (she didn't do that today... I believe the only such error was about the third time she handled the ball in her first game).

I appreciate that you amended your message. Let's put it this way, if you cringe every time Caroline puts it on the floor, I expect you'll be cringing countless times over the next three-and-a-half seasons as she helps the Huskies to a hundred or more victories.
That's putting it mildly. He amended his ridiculous message? Wow, it must have been really inciteful ... NOT!

Reaction Score
For myself I would love to see the team get to that point where Geno has to make some tough decisions, it means the team is somewhat at full strength again.

Coach had that problem at the start of the season with making some tough decisions and as the season progressed and injuries kicked in, it just got worse. Once everyone is back and semi healthy, those "tough" decisions continue.

Reaction Score
Umm did we forget how bad Azzi was in that South Carolina game? What has given anyone indication that she is a starter coming back? Caroline in the toughest stretch was the team's best player and she should go back to the bench?

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
While we're all making outrageous guesses about who's gonna do what in the future, here's my stab: Caroline as a 3 and PB as a 1 will be the very first MOP co-winners in the final four this year while Geno bags his 12th. I think that's as reasonable as any guess. Or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom