After Paige and Azzi come back, should Caroline gets some PT as a forward? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

After Paige and Azzi come back, should Caroline gets some PT as a forward?

Reaction Score
Umm did we forget how bad Azzi was in that South Carolina game? What has given anyone indication that she is a starter coming back? Caroline in the toughest stretch was the team's best player and she should go back to the bench?
I’m sure Azzi’s injury affected her play in that game ( and probably every game she played prior to it).

Reaction Score
If you had an opportunity to watch Azzi during the U19 World Championships this past summer, she displayed a complete game which included not only her ability to shoot, but she also ran the offense at times and played solid defense throughout the tournament.

If Azzi can just get healthy for long enough to get several full practices and games in a row under her belt, there’s a complete basketball player there, with the ability to make a difference for this UConn team.
And she was hurt that entire tournament. Same injury. She was even better before the injury. Hopefully she comes back healthy!

Reaction Score
Umm did we forget how bad Azzi was in that South Carolina game? What has given anyone indication that she is a starter coming back? Caroline in the toughest stretch was the team's best player and she should go back to the bench?
Yeah but how many magazine covers did Caroline get compared to Azzi?

Reaction Score
If you had an opportunity to watch Azzi during the U19 World Championships this past summer, she displayed a complete game which included not only her ability to shoot, but she also ran the offense at times and played solid defense throughout the tournament.

If Azzi can just get healthy for long enough to get several full practices and games in a row under her belt, there’s a complete basketball player there, with the ability to make a difference for this UConn team.
We are talking about the present: Div 1 College BB, not U19, not last year or whenever...

Reaction Score
If that's the case then it fits my proposed scenario of 4 guards and Liv as the big. I prefer Azzi over Nika in that scenario but overall I'd still go with Liv, Dorka, Paige, CD and CW normally.
My concern about starting Azzi is that she’ll likely have played so little this year that she won’t be ready for prime time. My best hope is that she’s healthy enough to come off the bench and hit spot up threes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We are talking about the present: Div 1 College BB, not U19, not last year or whenever...
Not saying it’s the same level of competition. But Azzi was playing with and against some very talented players, and she more than held her own.

Reaction Score
Yeah but how many magazine covers did Caroline get compared to Azzi?
That is your criteria to determine what at this point and time? :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My concern about starting Azzi is that she’ll likely have played so little this year that she won’t be ready for prime time. My best hope is that she’s healthy enough to come off the bench and hit spot up threes.
Absolutely, and we don't get Paige back (and at least at 90% of her capabilities) then it might be advantageous to have Azzi apply for red-shirt status and sit out the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, and we don't get Paige back (and at least at 90% of her capabilities) then it might be advantageous to have Azzi apply for red-shirt status and sit out the rest of the season.
You'd have to find a doctor that would sign off on her injury as being season ending. I don't think you can just apply for a medical red shirt just to have a redo on the season. It's one thing if you've played too many games to qualify, but I think the other part of the criteria is the injury has to be severe enough to be season ending. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the rules.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
You'd have to find a doctor that would sign off on her injury as being season ending. I don't think you can just apply for a medical red shirt just to have a redo on the season. It's one thing if you've played too many games to qualify, but I think the other part of the criteria is the injury has to be severe enough to be season ending. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the rules.
you are correct.

Reaction Score
First of all, she is playing small forward. Secondly, she is going to start for the rest of her career. Her starting stats are 18.5 points and 4.75 boards a game. If you don't love her game, you don't love basketball the way it was meant to be played. As she gets a little stronger, gets a little better handle and improves her defense ( she allows the other player to turn the corner on her too easily at times), you are looking at a budding superstar. Her game is so fundamentally strong that her off games are rare, as in one out of eight (Seton Hall) since she has been starting. I saw her live at Seton Hall. She looked very overrated. Kept on stepping on the baseline, turnovers, bad misses. Here we are 10 games later and you have a real serious contender for a future AA and a lock for this year's FOY in the Big East.

Reaction Score
You are most likely correct (and Biff confirmed). However, I've been around a longtime and have seen some very strange requests for red-shirt status granted.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread.

If Paige and Azzi come back completely healthy with the ability to go all out for 40 minutes, here's my take.

Nika at the point with Paige at the 2. Caroline is the 3 with Dorka and Liv as 4A and 4B. Nike starts because she is the leader of the team. Geno has said so on the latest Geno show. She brings the energy and drive that the team is feeding off of. She has a defensive intensity that makes a difference. I want that energy and drive at the tip off. Drive the team to pound the opposition. Paige at the 2 allows her to move without the ball and get free via screens. This is not saying she will not be dishing dimes, she will. But Paige and Nika is a deadly combo out from. No way Caroline doesn't start and that should be obvious to all. Same with Dorka andc Liv.

The bench is Christyn, E and Azzi for the guards. Christyn can be instant offense off the bench. Azzi will get her minutes.Aaliyah is the front court bench.
Geno meant that Nika is the leader in the absence of Paige. When Paige is healthy, she is the clear leader of this team!

Reaction Score
Paige, Christyn, Caroline, E/AE/Dorka, Liv will be the starting lineup! Imo, of course! Who starts among the threesome may change as matchups dictate.

Reaction Score
Paige, Christyn, Caroline, E/AE/Dorka, Liv will be the starting lineup! Imo, of course! Who starts among the threesome may change as matchups dictate.
I think Nika, Paige, CW, Caroline, and ONO. Evina and Dorka first subs. Azzi and Aaliyah next subs.

Reaction Score
There are only two requirements for a medical redshirt. Injury has to occur in the first half of the season and the kid doesn't play in excess of 30% of the season's games. And the injury be season ending.

Reaction Score
First of all, she is playing small forward. Secondly, she is going to start for the rest of her career. Her starting stats are 18.5 points and 4.75 boards a game. If you don't love her game, you don't love basketball the way it was meant to be played. As she gets a little stronger, gets a little better handle and improves her defense ( she allows the other player to turn the corner on her too easily at times), you are looking at a budding superstar. Her game is so fundamentally strong that her off games are rare, as in one out of eight (Seton Hall) since she has been starting. I saw her live at Seton Hall. She looked very overrated. Kept on stepping on the baseline, turnovers, bad misses. Here we are 10 games later and you have a real serious contender for a future AA and a lock for this year's FOY in the Big East.
I think there is a DePaul freshman who may have something to say about that. I believe her name is Morrow? Anyway, she is having an exceptional season and is currently (I believe) the odds on favorite for FOY. Caroline may be able to overtake her but she is certainly not a prohibitive favorite.

Reaction Score
Technically, CD plays the wing position, and she is perfect in that spot. The 1, 2, etc. is an outdated way of classifying player positions in today's game.

Reaction Score
Not saying it’s the same level of competition. But Azzi was playing with and against some very talented players, and she more than held her own.
I'm with you but many need to see it. Last November there were comments just like that about Bueckers. I get their point. I just know they are wrong. Fudd is as unique a talent as Bueckers. Different but as valuable a scorer as there can be. I'm hoping her foot issues are gone so she can display her mega-talent.
I don't like to jinx things but I'm confident that by the end of the season the big topic here will be how Geno can possibly keep everyone happy with their minutes. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom